Pros and Cons of Going OTA - Page 40 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-08-25, 01:45 PM   #586
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ota_canuck View Post
Con:
I live in Canada where the Canadian OTA-TV spectrum is being systematically depleted with this digital transition.
I don't understand what you are saying. How is the spectrum in Canada being depleted anymore than it is in the US?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-08-25, 02:21 PM   #587
ota_canuck
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
Thumbs down My Con's

Wayne

I live near the US signals and after their transition in 2009, I gained several good OTA channels. With the dismal Canadian digital transition efforts, I will lose any fringe [currently snowy but usually watchable] analog channels and those channels will not be replaced with a digital signal strength that will reach my area good enough for a lock.

Of course I could take some extreme measures to add some hardware such as a rotor and a giant directional antenna to overcome the dismal transitional loses, but with Canadian OTA content being mostly repeats of US content, is Canadian TV even worth the effort?
Old 2011-08-25, 03:20 PM   #588
writerpatrick

The repeats aren't bad when one has trouble getting in the US stations. But I think the CanCon rules need to be extended to cover prime time specifically. As it is now, as long as there's enough daytime programming then the Canadian channels can get away with US shows during prime time. Although with all the specialty channels about, I doubt that any Canadian production with decent production quality is really having a hard time finding airtime.
Old 2011-08-25, 06:16 PM   #589
Wayne
Veteran

@OTA_Canuck - When you said spectrum I took the term literally to mean the amount of airwaves available for OTA TV. That will be the same in Canada and the US but you are right that Canada isn't using this as an opportunity to add interesting sub channels.
Old 2011-08-26, 09:41 AM   #590
writerpatrick

I'd even be willing to take boring sub-channels.

Broadcasters tend to point to a CRTC ruling that sub-channels have to be applied for. But there are some obvious possibilities. TVO could add their French channel as a sub-channel while CTV could add CTV2.
Old 2011-08-26, 09:57 AM   #591
classicsat
Veteran

TVO has no french channel. TFO was sold off to some other organization.

CTV and CTV2 stations and their re-transmitters are licensed to different cities, becasue one network owner cannot have two stations in one market.

In either case the networks/stations would need to apply for a license to transmit there, the CRTC give permission to carry two full stations on a transmitter, and the stations figure out what to do with HD.

Do a search. There is a thread ( a couple years old), on what Canadian stations could and could not do with sub-channels.
Old 2011-09-03, 08:55 PM   #592
Jase88

I'm sure this was mentioned already, but I must state this "pro" of OTA once again: OTA keeps working during a heavy rainstorm (unlike my satellite service).
Old 2011-09-05, 08:00 AM   #593
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
My cable tends not to be affected by weather either, so that's not just a pro for OTA. Also, antennas can suffer wind damage.
Old 2011-09-05, 08:23 AM   #594
Mr Canoehead

My attic antenna will not suffer wind damage.....
There are all kinds of arguments but in the end it's about free vs. Pay.
Old 2011-09-05, 08:28 AM   #595
doomy

Location: Oshawa, just off the 401, under a cellphone tower, in the shadow of the GM plant

...and whether or not you are receiving enough value in return for what you are paying, if you are going that route.
Old 2011-09-05, 08:32 AM   #596
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^

I live on the 1st floor of a condo, so my OTA options are limited. I have tried a set top UHF antenna and it worked well for the Toronto stations, but not Buffalo. Also, the majority of my viewing is non-broadcast channel, so OTA would be useless for much of what I watch.
Old 2011-09-06, 08:24 AM   #597
krisbee
Rookie

Again, said lots of times, but still... for me we went OTA for several reasons:

1. Better Picture

2. Cost
a. Saved $100 US a month
b. Cost/Value ratio - what we were paying for and actually watching content wise was crazy.
c. Content available elsewhere - websites, hulu, netflix, amazon, etc.

3. Satisfaction of not being held hostage by a company with crazy fee hikes, cutting of channels we liked, their contract negotiation strategies, etc.

4. Satifaction of building my own antenna that survived hurricane and tornado winds this last week alone, plus a computer system that records and serves up the shows throughout the house for less than $300 total.

All but three or four of the shows we watched were OTA anyway, and three of those shows that weren't were available free and legal online in about the same quality as the overcompressed satelitte SD signal. The fourth show can be purchased from Amazon for $1.99US... The HGTV and DIY shows we watched are available on their websites, anyway. We will miss Mike Holmes though (which you get full episodes on the canadian HGTV site, anyway). Even that, if we proxy, we COULD watch
Old 2011-09-06, 09:16 AM   #598
ScaryBob
Veteran

Quote:
OTA keeps working during a heavy rainstorm (unlike my satellite service).
That may be true of local stations, provided they stay on the air. Repeaters around here often fail in bad weather. One OTA station uses a DBS satellite signal for its feed (as do some cable companies) so it goes off as well.

Lightning causes frequent dropouts on more distant OTA signals that are usually reliable. That's a con.

No more cleaning wet snow and ice off the dish. That's a pro.
Old 2011-09-07, 11:22 AM   #599
gksull
Rookie

Default My reasons for looking into OTA

I retired and got the last kid out the door over the past year. To make ends meet we are trying to reduce the "annuities" in our life. Our food bill has dropped in half... not having an active 6'4" boy around did that for us. It got to the point where we didn't even unbag the groceries. Just put them on the table and made sure our hands were out of the way!

To me, an annuity is a regular monthly cost. Most companies want to rope me into an annuity situation... the reason our coffee maker has a replaceable water filter that wears out is to keep me buying from them on a regular basis. Internet, phones, life insurance, water bills, shampoo (lather twice, of course!),etc. are all annuities in my mind.

Cable is one of them. I pay $65 US for basic cable or $780 per year. If the cost goes up year year by 2% I would spend $8,540 over the next 10 years for that. If I invested the $780 per year at 4% interest I would have $9,365 in the bank at the end of 10 years. Hmmmm..... And setting myself up with a complete OTA/Internet networked system probably won't cost me more than the cost of cable for one year.

Admittedly, I'm in a different phase of my life than others who still have kids at home. My wife and I have asked ourselves if we would rather have an additional $780 per year or have the extra channels. We decided to get used to not having the extra channels. I'm the TV junkie, she reads and watches what is on the major networks. After building a Stealth Hawk antenna that I found on this forum (Thanks!!) I've decided to cut the cable. I'll miss Pawn Stars, Pickers, etc. but you know what? That will get me off my butt and into being more active. Those shows sure do suck the mental acuity right out of you!
Old 2011-09-29, 01:15 AM   #600
123Mike

Default Tower off

Here is one against OTA:

Every night at around 1:10AM one of the broadcast towers get turned off, and I lose CBC and TVO right in the middle of a program I'm watching.

I'm in the west end of Ottawa, Canada.