Pros and Cons of Going OTA - Page 33 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-08-20, 09:56 AM   #481
xilbus

For whatever programming your missing on OTA you can always get a newsgroup account and download your shows in HD. Newsgroups have everything from tv shows to movies and e-books.

A good OTA antenna and a good Newsgroup combo and your set for all your viewing needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-08-20, 11:11 AM   #482
danbcman

I found out that I can have HD even with the cheapest cable service I went and bought a dc758d box and now I have a back up plan for my ota when it has a hick up and the cable bill still remains unchanged. I am hoping the 2011 changes improve my OTA occasional hick ups
Old 2010-08-20, 11:55 AM   #483
HWP

Default Choosing better shows to watch...

We have been exclusively OTA since June 2010 - about three months.

Personally, I have rediscoved PBS. I haven't really watched that channel since childhood when, even with cable, we only had about fifteen channels. Now I'm choosing to watch Nova, Nature, Sherlock Holmes, documentaries, etc.

Also no more HORRENDOUS American cable news channels. Those cable channels shouldn't be allowed to call themselves news channels. It's all opinion and weak journalism, in my opinion.

I've always considered myself to be a news junkie and/or political junkie. I miss CBC News Network and CTV Newsnet, but I can live without them. Much of their best stuff is online anyway.

Now in my house it's like the good old days. I will sit with my family and watch the supper-hour news and talk about what is going on in Toronto, Canada, and the world. My kids are going to be knoweldgeable. It was so easy with cable to just watch tempting junk at any time of the day.

I get over thirty channels in my location (20 HD and 10 SD approx). We get qubo (like Treehouse) so I guess I'm pretty lucky. We get all the OTA Canadian and US networks so we get all the good shows.

I thought I would miss Mantracker (OLN) and Surivorman, but I found them legally for free on CityTV's web site. Plugged in my computer to the TV and watched them on the larger screen.

With cable we subscribed to a Korean TV channel for $15+tax each month for my wife. We can find all the Korean TV shows and movies online for free -- hooked up to the TV it looks great. More choice - no cost. I might send a Slingbox to Korea so she can have real Korean TV on our computer/PVR.

Anyway, we've found our old cable shows online. We get all the networks. We're watching better quality shows. Our kids are going to watch better stuff. My kids are watching me make better choices for myself in terms of TV shows.

It's all good.

NO regrets about cancelling Rogers TV (and home phone - Magic Jack).

Thank you Rogers for contacting me last winter informing me I would have to commit to a two-year contract if I wanted to keep my bundles discount. I said forget the discount - I'm going to research my options. Now I'm ahead $150/month or more and our quality of life is better.
Old 2010-08-20, 12:49 PM   #484
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default The new era of OTA DTV & Internet & Mobile

The past few posts sum up what others (including myself) have also identified: today's consumer can pay for an Internet connection and/or a Mobile smartphone's Internet plan and thus legally download a great deal of TV programming while getting real time, top quality DTV free of direct cost OTA rather than paying a monthly fee for a BDU's offerings.

Tomorrow's consumer will find that as Mobile DTV broadcasting is rolled out even more viewing options will be available.
Old 2010-08-21, 11:08 AM   #485
suzanrush

Red face Why pay for TV when it's free?

I don't know how you feel about TV these days but it's gotten extremely complicated and competitive. And the thing is, we can now chose to keep it simple like it used to be in the good ol' days. Remember the days of analog and rabbit ears? It's so simple now with the switch to digital back in 2/2008. Those crooked pay-tv-co.s want to keep this secret so they can continue taking advantage of viewers ignorance or lack of knowledge. This new digital tv (DTV) is superfragilisticexpealidocious ... as hard as it may be to believe - - disbelievers - it's better than anything you can pay for. It's no joke, people. I get many, many digital hd channels with just a roof antenna, a rotor (so I can turn my antenna), and a converter box (which converts the new digital signal coming ota to an analog signal so that my old tv can recognize it).

'Couldn't be simpler or more stressfree and without the cost and hassle of a monthly bill. Wake up and smell the free - it's crazy in this depression esp. to pay when it's this good for free.! Today's football game is a great example of how great it is. I'll be watching the Ravens vs. Redskins game at 7:30p on D.C.'s NBC channel 4. Is that incredible or what? I'm at the beach in Delaware and this antenna of mine is receiving channels from far, far away. I can even pick-up NYC and Philly and Jersey. Too sweet. Everyone around here is paying for cable or satellite to watch this game, but not me. Pass it on because it's tooo good to keep secret.
Old 2010-08-21, 11:44 AM   #486
DSgamby
Veteran

cuz I love hockey and watch it whenever I can and NBC and CBC doesn't cut it.

There are pros and cons for OTA and pros and cons for subscribing to Cable/Satellite.
Old 2010-08-21, 07:11 PM   #487
vjose78

Free tv....hardly!

The way I see it is that even with your so-called free tv, your still paying. You see everytime you go to the store and buy something, your paying for the commercials that air on free tv, which then goes to the broadcasters. I guess if more and more people start switching to free tv then all those items at the store will be going up to pay for your so-called free tv due to a lack of subscribers paying the bdu's thus costing the broadcasters more and more. So, in the end is it really free...nope! In the end it just ends up costing more money for everyone, free or not.
Old 2010-08-21, 07:29 PM   #488
cslusarc

I'm in Winnipeg. While I live at home with my parents we watch OTA until I was in university in the late '90s. My grandparents had cable TV from Greater Winnipeg Cablevision or its successor (Shaw) and I enjoyed the choice when I visited them. But I would not go back to OTA unless the following conditions are met: all of Winnipeg's six OTA channels go HD (not happening before Fall 2012); more channels are offered than six; or if I move to somewhere else with better OTA choices.
Old 2010-08-21, 07:54 PM   #489
j0dest3r
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose78 View Post
Free tv....hardly!

The way I see it is that even with your so-called free tv, your still paying. You see everytime you go to the store and buy something, your paying for the commercials that air on free tv, which then goes to the broadcasters. I guess if more and more people start switching to free tv then all those items at the store will be going up to pay for your so-called free tv due to a lack of subscribers paying the bdu's thus costing the broadcasters more and more. So, in the end is it really free...nope! In the end it just ends up costing more money for everyone, free or not.
You could make this argument for Radio, Billboard, and Magazine ads as well, I don't buy the argument.
Old 2010-08-21, 08:42 PM   #490
hkaye

Quote:
Free tv....hardly!

The way I see it is that even with your so-called free tv, your still paying.
I see lots of commercials for Rogers Cable. Thanks to the people paying for cable to support OTA. Also special thanks to the Bell customers, I see lots of those commercials too!

Seriously it's a silly argument. I don't buy 99% of the products/services advertised. New Car? Nope my 2000 Suzuki works just great. Expensive name brand groceries? Only if I got a coupon. Am I about to sell my unwanted gold to the Cash Man? Nope. The list goes on.

I did buy Boxer Beer and supported the little guy and gal.
Old 2010-08-22, 09:23 AM   #491
Marbles_00

Quote:
Free tv....hardly!

What sort of justification is this? Wow, a little sore are we...
Old 2010-08-22, 11:22 AM   #492
ota_canuck
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie

You could also pay a buck for a newspaper or get a free publication, whereas both are loaded with paid advertising. So what you are saying is that the free publication also comes with a cost? Absolutely,... when you calculate to include the global works of business and taxes, having use of a free public washroom is not free either.

Oprah gives away 200 Buicks [donated by GM]. Who do you think paid for those cars? Were those cars free, but at a shared cost to all Buick owners? YES! The world of 'Advertising' did not begin or end with OTA.
Old 2010-08-22, 11:45 AM   #493
hkaye

Advertising doesn't necessarily increase the cost of goods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale

As goods are advertised and more product is sold because of the awareness of the product created by advertising, economies of scale come into effect. The end result could very well be cheaper goods because of advertising.

Arguing TV is not free because of paid advertising first assumes that the cost of goods increase because of advertising.
Old 2010-08-22, 01:11 PM   #494
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Smile Free of direct fees to consumers - a recap

Previously in this thread we have clarified that the concept of "free" actually refers to the absence of any direct fee to the consumer for viewing OTA programming. Raising that debate again now, with almost 500 posts in this thread and with the following in the OTA FAQ, is not appreciated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA FAQ Post #1
12. Aren't Satellite and Cable TV better than OTA TV?
For specialty channels and pay-per-view movies and events, Satellite or Cable TV are needed because such channels as TSN and Discovery HD are not broadcast OTA. However, if you want regular, local programming, OTA is free of charge or fee to the consumer. The only cost you will pay is for the gear itself and any taxes on it.
  • With a top quality OTA receiver and antenna gear, the improvement in picture and audio quality over Cable TV or Satellite can be spectacular, especially in HDTV, as many DHCers attest. This is not conjecture; the improvement is readily visible and audible on good systems, especially when seen in split-screen mode.
  • Some consumers will want to have the best of both: keeping their Sattelite or Cable TV subscriptions and watching their favourite programming OTA.
  • Some will find no reason to use OTA because they find the quality of their TV reception by other means is satisfactory to them.
  • Some will find that using OTA is not possible due to certain local situations, and so will rely on either Satellite (if they can aim a dish correctly from their location) or Cable TV if it is available
  • Some will find going 100% OTA to be the most worthwhile solution, while watching DVD or Blu Ray-based first run movies and specials on rental from video stores.
  • If you are planning a move to another city, Cable TV set top boxes from one Cable company almost always do not work with the systems of different Cable companies; Satellite gear can be moved anywhere that the dish can be aimed succesfully, and OTA gear works fine as long as stations are available.
  • Some CATV subscribers have had their FM radio service dropped by their providers. With an OTA VHF/FM antenna there are not only analogue FM radio stations available but also many HD Radio stations in border areas carrying digital audio that rivals CDs for quality.
If you have an ATSC tuner in your TV and live in a suitable area, what's the harm in hooking up an antenna and seeing OTA for yourself? Even so, suit yourself and respect the decisions of others. You can discuss these issues in the Pros & Cons of Going OTA thread.
And so, with that economics discussion of the past few posts making the "free of direct fees" point even further and clearer, we now return you to the Pros and Cons of Going OTA thread already in progress...
Old 2010-08-22, 06:27 PM   #495
Tammer
Rookie

Can't see no cons in this. Twelve yrs ago I took down my 38' tower (rotor, antenna, pre-amp, etc) to add an extension on my place. From that point on I dabbed in the sat thingy, so much so that at one time I was pulling some 1700 chnls. Other than what I learned, I found that the more chnls I got, the more trash I got. It actually got to a point where I was spending more time on the comp, or replacing batteries in the remote (chnl surfing) than watching tv. Well I finally got the ole tower up last week (sure seems higher than it used to be,lol) and I'm having a blast, there's some great viewing out there. Never new much about ota except how to turn the rotor but with my perserverance and all the knowledge here I'm sure I'll get it sooner or later. Just joined (first post), but I do have something to offer. Remember folks, it's not just tv, it's a hobby. Cheers.