6100 Freezing - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2006-04-13, 12:25 AM   #46
Reave

Just wanted to bump this thread. The freezing isnt going away for me. I keep getting freeze ups on the HD channels. I havent noticed it on sd. Its driving my wife nuts as she thinks it should be as reliable as analog tv. Anyone solve the problem with their setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-04-13, 12:52 PM   #47
FuzzyQball

We still have it. Sometimes it really interupts the show. We are still on the bleeding edge with HD, with limited bandwidth available, and less than perfect error correction. At least it is not frozen permenently, but few a few seconds at most for me. I also had some problems on the Rogers HD I had for a while. SAT suffers from variable signal strength, and othe issues related to weather etc. On the positive side, I have seen some improvement in the severity of the problems.
Old 2006-04-13, 03:55 PM   #48
johnny_marin

I find the freezing is worse on certain channels, specifically the American ones that are sim subbed. Last night watching CSI:NY on CTV the freezing problem was frequent. When I switched to the Jays game the freezing stopped. By the way the HD quality from the game was terrible. It would be nice if we could statistically prove this. I'm going to monitor this on my setup for awhile to see if my theory holds water. I also think the freezing impacts the 9200 PVR owners with their green line recording problem.

John
Old 2006-04-14, 01:16 AM   #49
Reave

I know were on the bleeding edge.. But I would think that they would have to conform to some minimum standards.
Old 2006-04-14, 04:16 PM   #50
I_Want_My_HDTV

Arrow

The bleeding edge was 3 years ago. I put up with it as did others. These are 2nd/3rd generation HD receivers. Major Japanese manufacturers would have most of the bugs fixed by now. The problems lie squarely with lousy E* engineering, EV's delays in getting firmware updates to Canadian customers and EV's lousy handling of HD signals.
Old 2006-04-14, 07:55 PM   #51
FuzzyQball

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV
The bleeding edge was 3 years ago. I put up with it as did others. These are 2nd/3rd generation HD receivers. Major Japanese manufacturers would have most of the bugs fixed by now. The problems lie squarely with lousy E* engineering, EV's delays in getting firmware updates to Canadian customers and EV's lousy handling of HD signals.
I had Rogers HD for a while, but had some problems there too. They also could not give my the full HD package beacause of bandwidth issues. Bell does seem worse though. Still, I think it relates to bandwidth issues. There is very little bandwidth available for overhead of error correction etc. Sat signal is less reliable than cable, and needs good error correction.
Old 2006-04-28, 09:47 AM   #52
johnny_marin

Just bumping the thread. I am still having the freezing issue on HD channels although somewhat less frequently and of less duration (less than a second). I watched CBC (hockey game) last night and parts of the Blue Jays game and continue to see the freezing approximately a half dozen times per period. I have my receiver set for 1080i and am wondering if there is an issue with scaling/deinterlacing in the 6100?

John
Old 2006-05-01, 12:31 PM   #53
FuzzyQball

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_marin
Just bumping the thread. I am still having the freezing issue on HD channels although somewhat less frequently and of less duration (less than a second). I watched CBC (hockey game) last night and parts of the Blue Jays game and continue to see the freezing approximately a half dozen times per period. I have my receiver set for 1080i and am wondering if there is an issue with scaling/deinterlacing in the 6100?

John

I am still getting the odd freeze, but am also getting a few seconds of garbled audio every 20-30 minutes or so. My son has just come back from school(he has rogers), and he wondered what was going on with the TV. I guess I was getting used to the blips that occur. Funny how you get used to these things.

Based on these issues, and other billing realted issues, I would switch back to cable if they could give me a reasonable HD package and I did not have the contract with BEV. I think I could resonably argue that they have breached the contract though

It is such a shame to have our expensive HD experience marred by these glitches. I suspect that many people would just rather watch SD on cable than deal with the constant barage of errors we get.

My biggest beef these days is garbled audio.
Old 2006-05-02, 11:48 AM   #54
johnny_marin

Glenn,

I feel your pain. Since I am watching a 100" picture from my FP the video freeze is quite apparent when it happens and it happens much too often. Watching one period of hockey I usually count 6 to 8 freeze instances of varying lengths (from a split second to a couple of seconds) and the same happens when watching Jays baseball. I am trying to see if there is a co-orelation between the source channel bandwidth setting (trying to get the HD channel information now - 720p vs. 1080i) and the setting I have on my receiver (using 1080i which for my setup looks the best). I believe it is a receiver firmware problem (not enough buffer?) but have no way of proving it. Since I bought my receiver I can't just replace it (out of warranty - over a year). I have not had the audio problem but I am only using the analog audio outputs, not the optical at this time.

John
Old 2006-05-03, 03:41 PM   #55
FuzzyQball

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_marin
Glenn,

I feel your pain. Since I am watching a 100" picture from my FP the video freeze is quite apparent when it happens and it happens much too often. Watching one period of hockey I usually count 6 to 8 freeze instances of varying lengths (from a split second to a couple of seconds) and the same happens when watching Jays baseball. I am trying to see if there is a co-orelation between the source channel bandwidth setting (trying to get the HD channel information now - 720p vs. 1080i) and the setting I have on my receiver (using 1080i which for my setup looks the best). I believe it is a receiver firmware problem (not enough buffer?) but have no way of proving it. Since I bought my receiver I can't just replace it (out of warranty - over a year). I have not had the audio problem but I am only using the analog audio outputs, not the optical at this time.

John
I think that they are so close to the edge on bandwidth, that the buffering capability, and error checking scheme just don't work very well. A good error checking scheme eats up bandwidth. When the HD feed is good, there is nothing like it, but under typical conditions it is really debatable. Ther have been times where I have switched to an SD channel because we just couldn't stand it any more. We pay extra for this? What happend to the promise of all digital TV being high quality?
Old 2006-05-04, 09:36 AM   #56
johnny_marin

The sole reason I purchased the 6100 was for HD to feed my FP. SD blown up to 100" doesn't look very good so I avoid watching those channels on the FP (use the 3200 on my two other SD TVs). Initially the HD service was good, very little freezing but in the last 6 months it has gotten progressively worse IMO. Some channels are worse than others. Sports is worse than regular TV or movie programming. I concur with the view that bandwidth is being squeezed and it shows on sports channels due to the fast motion sequences which require more bandwidth to capture the movement.

I have already discussed this with a BEV platform performance manager and although sympathetic to my problem, he has not provided me a solution (yet). My next step is to call customer service and complain. I think everyone who has this problem needs to do the same. The more calls they get the more priority this problem will become to the firmware developers (judging by the fixes listed in the next 9200 firmware release thread).

John
Old 2006-05-04, 06:46 PM   #57
White Water

Well, I'm very sick of the whole thing as well... I'm to a point that I'm thinking of cancelling HD all together!

As others had already stated, it worked great a few months back but now the freezing is happening all the time on my 6100. It most likely has something to do with the current software load on these units, since I'm not seeing too many complaints from 9200 owners.

WW
Old 2006-05-09, 11:46 AM   #58
Knightsofni

counted 8 freezes on CSI Miami (HD) within half an hour last night on my 6100, this is really starting to bug me!!
Old 2006-05-10, 10:49 PM   #59
FuzzyQball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightsofni
counted 8 freezes on CSI Miami (HD) within half an hour last night on my 6100, this is really starting to bug me!!
I have seen a lot of freezes, audio glitches while watching CTV-HD or when it is simsubbed in. It really does get annoying if it goes on to long.
Old 2006-05-11, 11:43 AM   #60
johnny_marin

It seems CTVHD is pretty bad as I have seen alot of freezing on this channel. But I also see the freezing happen on other channels like CBCHD, TSNHD and SportsnetHD as well. I watch alot of sports on my setup and this can be very annoying. Has anyone tried doing a hard reset on the receiver and if so did this help? I'm really getting annoyed with this.

John