The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2007-01-31, 02:12 PM   #136
StanleySparker

I definitely felt the salt being poured in the wounds while I tried to watch that newspiece last night. Absolutely disgusting. Global has no shame whatsoever.
StanleySparker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-01-31, 02:23 PM   #137
davethehelper

Simple fact, get rid of Sim-subbing and you will lose ALL OTA channels since they will have no way to support themselves.
davethehelper is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-31, 02:32 PM   #138
99gecko
Veteran

Thats where the OTA broadcasters demand for Fee-For-Carriage comes into play. I believe to qualify for Tier 1 BDU distribution there is an OTA pre-requisite.
99gecko is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-31, 03:12 PM   #139
hugh
Member #1

noaa2000, this is a rant thread not a slander or flame thread. Its one thing to hate the institution that the CRTC has become (hence the thread) but calling other Canadians communists and suckers is trolling and rude.

Anyone using this kind of language when discussing other members or Canadians will have their accounts de-activated.

This may be a rant thread but civility is still expected.
Old 2007-01-31, 03:40 PM   #140
StanleySparker

We'd still get the American OTA channels.
Old 2007-01-31, 11:57 PM   #141
noaa2000

The Canadian OTA channels would survive.I still believe that even without simsubs most Canadians would prefer to watch the Canadian channel over the American one which to me is only the natural thing to do.Years ago in the 1960s when cable & satellite TV wasn't here,Canadian OTA channels did all right without the help of the government & they would still do all right now even with the 500 channel universe that we live in today.Global and CTV
are simply just afraid to compete in the 500 channel universe,so they run to the government for protection.They want to keep that huge profit from simsubbing instead of making an concerted effort into creating good quality Canadian programming.If the Americans and the British are able to created quality home grown shows for their domestic audience,certainly with the pool of talented persons this nation has,the same thing can be done here.
noaa2000 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-01, 10:57 AM   #142
noaa2000

If I have offended any member by my recent comments then please accept my sincere apology.My rage against the CRTC can at times get the best of me.

Last edited by noaa2000; 2007-02-01 at 11:08 AM.
noaa2000 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-04, 08:46 PM   #143
shabbs
Veteran

Get your RANT on! What bugs me the most about all of this simsub/misdub/simulcast whatever crap and the CRTC is that they just don't seem to realize what we are all complaining about. I've complained numerous times to the CRTC and others (Rogers, Global) but we all get the same stock answer about how they pride themselves in providing the best quality HD etc... yadda yadda yadda... *puke*. Are they even monitoring what the broadcasters are putting out? If they are, they must be watching it on really old 14" CRTs with one speaker to judge the quality of the broadcast. I don't think they realize how much of a difference some people experience with 110" screens and ultra hi-fi systems.

There. Done.

Cheers.
Old 2007-02-04, 10:11 PM   #144
StanleySparker

No kidding. I can't believe still that Rogers told me they can't monitor simsubs and have no control over them. What pathetic liars. Pathetic. If they see an inferior simsub, they are supposed to stop it.
Old 2007-02-04, 10:22 PM   #145
DLPAddict

Thumbs down

That's it......I'm buying a STB!!

Thanks to Global and the CRTC

They simsub CBS Seattle today for the Superbowl!!!
Usually they never simsub the signal from the west...ever!

They did it today I was prepared to watch some great commercial but nooooo!!!
I have to watch the dreadful commercials from this side of the border

Usual suspect Crapy Tire, Global news update(20 time every hours) etc.....

I'm so pissed that the next time the Samsung STB is available I'm runnig down to Buffalo to buy it!!!

Sorry for the rant but I'm thru with this Communist thinking.

Have nice day all
DLPAddict is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-04, 10:23 PM   #146
StanleySparker

Say it like it is DLPAddict!
We all feel your pain!
Old 2007-02-04, 10:24 PM   #147
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

You didn't say what kind of STB. There are many kinds, but I'm guessing you mean an ATSC STB for OTA channels from Buffalo?
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-04, 10:30 PM   #148
DLPAddict

Wink

Sorry I'was tooooo

The STB is the Samsung HTB 260 if I'm right?

Because this piece of equipment is not available in the great white north

I will have to talk to my land lord to if I can the proper equipment (antenna,pole,wires etc...)
I live in a basement apartment (Warden/Kingston rd) area so hopefully they (land lord) will be OK with this.
Old 2007-02-04, 10:33 PM   #149
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

I thought that's what you meant. In actuality the term STB is used all through Home Theatre to describe devices of all sorts that are Set Top Boxes.

Back to the topic.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-04, 10:37 PM   #150
DLPAddict

I forgot..

I'm pretty sure a lot of my friends in Quebec city would be pissed tonight too!

Because a radio station (I listen through the net)was telling everybody to call Videotron cable and ask for the American package (a tech told them they would not simsub these channel) that include all the Seattle channel without simsub

I'm pretty sure Global did the same down there with the braodcast/simsub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.