New Member Free-to-Air Satellite Discussion Thread - Page 22 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Free to Air Satellite Television

Old 2012-02-19, 05:05 PM   #316
cyberham

Default Halifax FTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman View Post
Yes I am in the Halifax area...
As mentioned by tdti1, hobbysat.com is located on Spencer Avenue in Halifax. He has a stock of dishes and you can pick one up to avoid shipping charges which can be more than the cost of a dish. Being in the Halifax area, I'd recommend getting a 1.2m dish rather than the 1m dish I have. Watch kijiji for local FTA receivers; I found my Openbox S9 and Coolsat 7000 that way locally, again avoiding shipping charges. Think carefully about the LNB you buy. Buy a sensitive one with a known reputation, not just the first one you see. I know from experience a motor is mandatory, but not necessary when first starting out. The motor complicates life when there is already lots to learn for a beginner.
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-26, 03:54 PM   #317
balm
Veteran

Default RDS

The biggest loss when going from Cable/Subscription Satellite, to OTA is losing the all sports specialty channels (as anyone will attest to...)

And many have asked me this question, so I will ask it here.

Is there any equivalent channels for all sports, similar to say RDS (Montreal) or TSN, Sportsnet, etc in FTA....?

Thanks
balm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-26, 07:26 PM   #318
tdti1

I get all the sports I want, all over the rac, there are lots of sports up there.
Old 2012-02-26, 10:11 PM   #319
balm
Veteran

so are you saying your getting all Canadiens games like on RDS
balm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-27, 10:25 AM   #320
classicsat
Veteran

I am not saying no (I honestly don't know what full time sports channels, IE not backhaul/wild feeds, are FTA), but the way professional sports rights work would practically eliminate that possibility.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-27, 12:07 PM   #321
Kraven

There is always NHL GameCentreLive for PC, PS3, Roku and other streaming devices

Cheers, J
Kraven is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-09, 01:42 PM   #322
Wilson7777
Rookie

Default New to FTA and need advice

Hi there,

I just need some advice. I'm just reading about FTA because I'm starting to get tired of paying for Bell and their service charges.

Anyway, I do have another Bell dish (not sure the size, but it's the Bell standard issue dish), and was wondering if it was possible, provided I get an FTA receiver, to use it to get FTA? And can any dish receive HD or does it have to be a newer dish, because I know this one is quite old.

Secondly, I noticed there is a list of the 'what not to buy' for receivers, but is there a list of "approved" or 'non-piracy' receivers to choose from? I don't want to get into this piracy stuff, just would like some free satellite TV for a change.

Third, is there a channel/station listing for FTA satellite? I don't seem to see one in the forums but may be missing it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Wilson7777; 2012-03-09 at 01:47 PM. Reason: another question added.
Wilson7777 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-09, 01:54 PM   #323

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Welcome: Your post was moved to this existing thread. Please read earlier posts here and read the stickies in this forum. I believe all your questions have already been answered in these stickies, but someone may have more to add.

For example, the small BTV dishes are simply not adequate and at least 1 metre is usually recommended.

Useful Post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2012-03-09, 09:11 PM   #324
cyberham

Default Dr. Sat's FTA Channel Listing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson7777 View Post
...is there a channel/station listing for FTA satellite?
I'm going to grab this easy question. Go here: http://channels.drsat.ca/
At that link is one of the best tools for FTA. It is an easy-to-use way to see what's available on FTA.
Old 2012-03-16, 12:51 AM   #325
tanka
Rookie

If you have one 8ft to 10 ft dish and one mover of 36inch for 8 ft fine to cover from 139 west to 45 west and one 10ft dish better uze one 52 inch mover .And from 139 west to 45 west are same english channels and channels from europe japan china korea arabe countrys from europe mexico and all sud america.Remenber one system like that are expensive need one good box to.If you like only ku band moving from 99.2 west to 12.5 west my advise are 1.2 meter dish and one 36 inch dish for 101 west to 127 west.Butt ku not very good for english channels.From ontario canada only available to have the satellites from 139west to 12.5 west ku. The rest are out of range for ontario canada
tanka is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-21, 10:42 PM   #326
Metallo

Default New to NA FTA

Hi,

I am from Fredericton North and I recently got rid of my cable provider.
Now, I want to find the best option to receive the main broadcasters, like CBC/CTV/Global.

I am evaluating both OTA and FTA.
Regarding OTA I posted already in the specific forum and got lots of feedback, therefore I know more or less what I can expect with a traditional antenna.

Regarding FTA, in terms of hardware, I only have a dish on my roof which was installed by the previous home owner, it looks like being 60cm and I wonder if this could be a possible alternative.

I do not think my TV has got an internal satellite receiver as on the manual it quotes:

This TV is capable of receiving unscrambled digital programming for both cable (QAM and 8VSB) and external VHF/UHF antenna (ATSC).

So I guess I need a receiver if I want to go tor FTA.

I'd like some help given that I am new in NA and have no experience in terms of which satellites are broadcasting what.

Thanks for helping me in taking the right decision.

Cheers
Alex
Metallo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-22, 01:03 AM   #327

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I've moved your post to this existing sticky. Please read earlier posts here. You'll immediately see that 60 cm is inadequate, as well as some other answers to beginner questions.
Old 2012-04-22, 07:35 AM   #328
cyberham

Only you can decide if FTA is a good idea for you since everybody likes different programming content. Here in the Maritimes, I would recommend a MINIMUM dish size of 1-metre (39 inches) for Ku band. Personally, I wish somebody had told me to obtain a 1.2-metre (48 inches) dish instead of the 1-metre size. The reason for the larger dish is to receive signals reliably even in rain. And the more interesting signals seem to be the more difficult to receive such as the many PBS stations which use DVB-S2 technology. Also buy a very sensitive well-designed LNB for the dish since it is critical in how well your system works.

Start by reading as much as you can. Once you've read a lot about the subject, you can ask specific questions instead of just "Tell me everything I need to know". To discover what is available, refer to this link: www.channels.drsat.ca. It is a great tool to understand what can be seen. In addition to what is shown on this chart, there are lots of wild feeds with news, information, sports content everyday that can be received. For many, these are the most interesting since you never know what can be found.

In general, especially on Ku-band, you will not see the same stations (e.g. CBC/CTV/Global) you can watch via OTA or subscription TV. If that's a problem, then it's best to stick with OTA or pay TV. You certainly can receive CBC on C-band, but that requires a large dish of 6-feet, 8-feet, or larger in size.

For FTA, you will need to obtain a dish of the correct size equipped with a linear (perferably standard) LNB, a (preferably DVB-S2 capable) satellite receiver, coaxial cable to connect the dish to the receiver and the knowledge of how to install and understand these items. You should also consider whether you install a motor to turn the dish so you can watch signals from many different satellites instead of just one. I guarantee you will want a motor eventually, if not from the first day you begin FTA. It is a hobby that requires an investment of time and energy to get satisfaction from it.

I have a hunch that OTA may be more what you're looking for.
Old 2012-04-22, 12:23 PM   #329
Bunkhouse

Also if you have highspeed internet, you can watch pretty much all the latest tv network shows online. Go to ctv/global/cbc/citytv ect.. website and you can stream a show that aired the day before. Even some specialty channels offer this like space, comedy central ect... cbc does stream hockey online and i have watched a few tsn ones also.

I use a Playbook and stream the channels onto the bigscreen.

Just another option to consider.

Cutting the cable is getting easier these days.
Bunkhouse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-22, 12:28 PM   #330
cyberham

Those are good points. However one thing satellite does deliver is quality of video. For me, this is the difference between much Internet streaming and FTA. There are exceptions: for example NHK Japan online is HD and has beautiful video quality. But usually even standard definition via FTA is superior to what is delivered via free Internet video. This is where OTA shines too with its modern digital quality.

Tags
canada, free, fta, satellite, setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.