Do I Need Luxury Cables? - Page 21 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2010-07-26, 05:26 PM   #301
JamesK
Veteran

Quote:
are permanently destroying RCA - jacks on a lot of electronic equipment
If you have experience at repairing PC boards, it may be possible to replace the jacks.
JamesK is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-07-27, 01:00 AM   #302

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Canuck View Post
Warning – “OLD” Monster Cables = Permanent Damage.
1. Your post has nothing to do with Rogers, so it was moved to this existing thread.

2. These issues have been discussed in this thread and post 1 even discusses the damage that can be cause by Mon$ter - to your equipment and to your pocketbook.
Old 2010-07-27, 02:28 PM   #303
Old Canuck

Default Old Monster Cables = Destroy

Old Monster Cables = Destroy

I am stating “old” manufacturing procedures, that will destroy your component system. (Fact).

Fact:
Many present and future consumers will be using “RODGERS” = (HD-TV) = Fact.
Many ‘ignorant” Rodgers Consumers. may in the future / now require, extended cables.

Warning:
I stated actual facts, that cable users should know !

Question:
Who are you really protecting ?
P.S.

We are unable to repair any RCA "jacks" because their is presently "no" manufacturing" standard.

present and any future parts, are custom made, = NO fix.

Last edited by 57; 2010-07-27 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Mod comments.
Old Canuck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-27, 02:42 PM   #304
David Susilo
Veteran

Huh?

First of all, it's Rogers, not RoDgers.
Second, I have personally fixed many RCA jacks. It's the easiest thing to fix after a power switch.
Third, what do you mean with no manufacturing standards in creating RCA jacks? If it doesn't comply to certain standards then it won't be called RCA jacks.
Old 2011-02-11, 12:14 PM   #305
KMAN69
Rookie

Default CBC Marketplace - HDMI Cables

This is a year or so back , Did anyone see the that segment on CBC Marketplace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDw2ZSDzlMw
I found it helpful.
KMAN69 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-11, 04:58 PM   #306
JamesK
Veteran

I just tried to watch that video and got this message:

"This video contains content from Canadian Broadcasting Corp., who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that."
Old 2011-02-11, 04:59 PM   #307
David Susilo
Veteran

Gotta love it when the journalist mention "big" in the same sentence as "40" TV". And the "expert" in watching TV is watching the "big" 40"TV from at least 10ft away.

Forget minute differences between cable, how can you distinguish between 480p and 1080p with a TV that tiny and that far of a watching distance is beyond me.

Regardless, I do agree that any cable sold at big box stores are excruciatingly overpriced. Dynex brand for $30? That's nuts considering the production cost including shipping and custom blister pack is less than $2.
Old 2011-02-11, 05:02 PM   #308
David Susilo
Veteran

James, I clicked the link and watched it on my Rogers network Blackberry, it works fine.
Old 2011-02-11, 05:42 PM   #309

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I also had no problem seeing the link this time and when it first aired. The link may be in this thread or any of the other threads discussing pricy cables. A search for "MarketPlace HDMI" will probably find it. For example:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...rketplace+HDMI

It first aired 3 years ago - MarketPlace link in post 1 of this thread.
Old 2011-02-11, 06:00 PM   #310
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
I was able to watch it on a different computer. I have no idea why one works and the other doesn't. They're both running the same version of Linux on the same network and both on the same IPv6 subnet. Both are getting DNS from my firewall too.

That certainly proves what I and others have often claimed about Monster cables. The Monster cable, at over 20x the cost, performed no better than the $12 cable. I've been hit with those Monster claims on a few occasions when buying from Future Shop (I will not shop at BB). What I do is say "Well, I can get the cable at Canada Computers for..." and they'll price match on thier generic cable. I tell others to do the same.

That one marketing manager at FS mentioned the pride of ownership of certain brands. I'd call it the pride of stupidity!

A fool and his money...
Old 2011-05-13, 10:53 PM   #311
Keth
Rookie

Default Box of crap!

Well I'm glad to have found this thread, to bad I already bought all my cables but one. At least I only spent 50 bucks per hdmi. Was prepared to go all out on my laptop hdmi, but thanks to the good people on this thread I won't be doing that.
Cheers
Keth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-05-16, 08:59 AM   #312
Jake

If you are within the return period I would suggest you return the items.

These stores promote price-matching and I am sure the "associates" know about the less expensive options available. They cross the line when they disparage the other cables as inferior.
Old 2011-05-16, 12:52 PM   #313
JamesK
Veteran

Slaying the Cable Monster: Why HDMI Brands Don't Matter
Old 2011-07-08, 07:44 PM   #314
westcoastinc

When I bought my new TV the other day the sales person told me since its a 3dtv i need to buy High Speed 3d HDMI cables. I told him alright but ill buy them of monoprice for cheap not you guys.

Right now im using the HDMI that came with the Shaw PVR to connect to the PVR and im using a $5 one that I got from monoprice to connect to the blu-ray. They both are working fine.

Should I buy the 3d ones to get a better performance? If so can someone link to the ones I should get on Monoprice, theres so many hdmi's there but I might as well get the best performance from my tv's features.
westcoastinc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-07-08, 07:46 PM   #315
David Susilo
Veteran

If the cable you are using already do 3D with no dropout, then there is no need to buy another cable (this is coming from the "cable-makes-a-difference" guy)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.