A10 Grand Wega release dates - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: Front and Rear Projection Screens and Televisions

Old 2005-08-25, 05:49 PM   #31
MrC1ark

Feels like Xmas eve, only more expensive--almost here, but not quite. The wait is killing me!!!

JASON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-08-25, 08:21 PM   #32
Conundrum

Default E50A10 specs

....should also add that sonystyle.ca also claims that the 50" A10 has both a built-in ATSC tuner and a cablecard slot

Is this a typo on Sony's part, or are these exactly the same sets that people are getting in the states...
Old 2005-08-25, 10:12 PM   #33
MrC1ark

I was at Sears today and was talking to an incredibly helpful salesman(first one in London to actually make the effort to look into the release date rather than the standard 2-3 week answer) he even pulled out a brochure on the TV and mentioned the tuner as well, so it looks like it may be included. One thing I've heard from a couple of stores now is, because the 650's are still selling so well, and there's quite a bit of inventory nobody's in a rush to get the A10's. Not sure if this is true though.

One other thing--Bestbuy has the 55" A20 on sale this week for 500$ off already. This seems like a good sign that Sony is being quite aggressive with their prices. Here's hoping for an introductory deal of 200-300$ off.

JASON

BTW anyone in the TO area call around for a group buy at all? There's a couple of TOers on the AVS forums waiting on the A10's as well so we should be able to bring in a good number of people---but it's gotta be good for me to drive to TO.

Last edited by MrC1ark; 2005-08-26 at 01:50 AM.
Old 2005-08-26, 03:21 AM   #34
simonm

Default New here

Hi I am new here, I have seen all the waves on the A10 series, and might possible get one when it comes out in Vancouver.

Just wondering about the ATC Tuner that is included in the TV, what does it do? If I am to get this TV, do I need to get the HD STB to watch HDTV or it works with a regular STB?

Feel free to forward me any thread that I can learn how to setup my future TV, I don't want to buy anything that is not necessary!

Thanks in advance.
Old 2005-08-26, 08:37 AM   #35
nalbr0277

Just interested in knowing what types of extended warranties you guys are planning on getting for your a10's?

I havn't figured that out yet but I will get my 1-year warranty doubled by my credit card at the very least.
Old 2005-08-26, 02:52 PM   #36
kenw

The sony.ca site is taking pre-orders for the 50" A10 at $3199.99. The "anticipated date of arrival is Aug. 29, 2005".
Old 2005-08-26, 07:57 PM   #37
simonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalbr0277
Just interested in knowing what types of extended warranties you guys are planning on getting for your a10's?

I havn't figured that out yet but I will get my 1-year warranty doubled by my credit card at the very least.
In that case, you can wait until the end of year 2 and then decide if you want to get extended warranty directly from Sony. From what I heard, the FS or BB extended warranty in Canada don't cover the bulb anyway, why bother get it from them.

In addition, Visa told me that if you buy extended warranty, then they won't double your warranty because they only cover you for the 2nd year of the purchase, not any year after your extended warranty.
Old 2005-08-26, 08:43 PM   #38
MrC1ark

Are you positive Sony would allow you to still purchase an extended warranty after the 2nd year(with a VISA extension)? I too have decided to pay by credit card to double the original warranty and would love it if I could go for a few more years after that.

One other question--Sony's first year DOES cover the bulb I believe, so if my VISA doubles THAT warranty doesn't that mean we get 2 years of bulb coverage?

JASON
Old 2005-08-26, 09:50 PM   #39
BCScott

Sears "Wish Book" showed up today. 42A10 is $2599.99 or $2799.99 with stand. 50A10 is $3199.99 or $3449.99 with stand.
Old 2005-08-27, 02:00 AM   #40
kenw

Looks like prices are coming down already. FS today had the 55" A20 with a sticker price of $3599, $400 less than it was a few days ago. Hope they do the same on the 50" A10 when it comes out next week.
Old 2005-08-27, 02:46 AM   #41
simonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC1ark
Are you positive Sony would allow you to still purchase an extended warranty after the 2nd year(with a VISA extension)? I too have decided to pay by credit card to double the original warranty and would love it if I could go for a few more years after that.

One other question--Sony's first year DOES cover the bulb I believe, so if my VISA doubles THAT warranty doesn't that mean we get 2 years of bulb coverage?

JASON
Good question, here is what I found on the Sony website

"The Plan Coverage Period will start upon the expiration of your original Sony manufacturer’s limited warranty and shall run for the number of years of Plan coverage that you have purchased. Initial Plan purchase must be made prior to the expiry of your original Sony manufacturer’s limited warranty and renewals must be purchased prior to the expiry of any preceding Coverage Period. Maximum combined original manufacturer’s limited warranty period plus Coverage Period(s) is 5 years from date of purchase except for VAIO computers* and Plasma Displays* which is 3 years."

So sound like my plan won't work. But I will for sure call Sony to verify.

Your 2nd question, I don't think the original warranty covers the bulb, the bulb has only a 90 day policy. Again, one of the questions I have for the Sony people.
Old 2005-08-27, 08:40 AM   #42
MrC1ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenw
Looks like prices are coming down already. FS today had the 55" A20 with a sticker price of $3599, $400 less than it was a few days ago. Hope they do the same on the 50" A10 when it comes out next week.
I noticed this as well. How long has the A20 been out in Canada, about a month? I'm wondering if the same will happen to the A10's. For the first month they'll the leave the price high to catch the early adopters, and then in October they'll drop the prices. For me I'm waiting for the price drop-- with the plasma drop and the 1080's coming out it's inevitable and I'd hate to pay 300-500 more just beacuase I couldn't wait a few extra weeks--heck, I've already waited almost a year to pull the trigger!

JASON
Old 2005-08-27, 11:43 AM   #43
Superfine

With the new Sony price at $3199, I'm confident you could get it around $2900 with some haggling. That's about 10% off. I've dealt with Sony before and the saleman said he can approve 5% off but to go higher he has to have it approved by the manager. I'm not very good at this haggling game so, I'm sure other will do much better.
Old 2005-08-27, 01:47 PM   #44
kalak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC1ark
For the first month they'll the leave the price high to catch the early adopters, and then in October they'll drop the prices. For me I'm waiting for the price drop-- with the plasma drop and the 1080's coming out it's inevitable and I'd hate to pay 300-500 more just beacuase I couldn't wait a few extra weeks--heck, I've already waited almost a year to pull the trigger!
The problem is that the price is dropping so fast that you could be waiting forever If you wait till Oct, then why not wait a few more weeks for the Christmas sale.... And if you wait till then, why not wait for the boxing week sale... And then you hear about new and more exciting models coming out soon, and there will be clearance sale on outgoing models .....

I think it will be at least a year or two when the technology becomes a little bit more mature, the market growth slows down a bit and the price would stabilize somewhat.
Old 2005-08-27, 02:29 PM   #45
markb

Is it just me or does anyone else ever notice that Future Shop, Best Buy, Visions, or any other electronic retailers always sell these products for less then what is listed on Sony's website. Expect the same here. Sears will be the only ones to sell for the same price.