Compare gas prices - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2005-07-08, 01:51 PM   #1
HammerJoe

Angry Compare gas prices

Prices here in NB just went over the dollar figure.

www.newbrunswickgasprices.com/

Check that website and go to the chart so you can see how much more Canada is paying for gas that is produced right here in our own backyward compared to the Americans.

I am fuming (pardon the pun).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-07-08, 02:52 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

The other day during my run, I noticed prices in Toronto at 79.9. Today, during my cycle, it was 95.5.

If you notice, I was running and cycling, when I saw those prices and I would not mind prices at a bit over $1, as it may help stop:

- people idling needlessly
- driving needlessly
- purchasing vehicles that are larger and heavier than they really need (yes, some people need trucks, but most don't).

Want to see high prices? - go to Europe.
Old 2005-07-08, 05:05 PM   #3
Danster

Unfortunately, here in NB, cities are few and far between each other. I'd like to take the bus instead of driving but the bus just isn't close to my home. We don't have commodities that permits most people to use an "alternative" way. It is just very sickening how much the gas is compared to some other provinces....like Alberta.
Old 2005-07-09, 02:42 AM   #4
Ed H

Default Gas Prices in Calgary

I noticed today that regular gas at stations in my neighborhood is 90 cents. I was in BC, Kootenays< last week and prices were in the high 90's for reg gas.

I don't think Albertan's are getting the lowest gas prices because King Ralph likes to keep the dough rolling in from us.

I have heard that lower mainland BC have lots of gas wars, so prices are lower there.
Best price around Calgary seem to be at one of the local reserve stations, but they are at the other end of town so not worth it for me.

Ed
Old 2005-07-09, 03:26 AM   #5
Richard Travale

Location: Vancouver Island. Shaw cable.Sony 46V2500,DCT6416(w/TB Xpndr), PS3, Denon AVR2807, Paradigm spkrs.

It was 95.9 for regular here in Nanaimo before dinner.
Then I went out and saw 101.9 all over town.
Old 2005-07-09, 05:05 AM   #6
HeaTransfer

Naw, gas prices in Vancouver have sucked too. Over the past few days it's been a total coinflip between about 89/litre and 1.01/litre.

Two nights in a row, I went out in the afternoon and saw gas at .89; driving back late at night it was more than $1/litre... next day it was .89 again!
Old 2005-07-09, 06:47 AM   #7
ilovemusic

Ontario , 92.9 a litre
Old 2005-07-09, 08:25 AM   #8
buritto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemusic
Ontario , 92.9 a litre
Ya, 95.6 here this morning.
Old 2005-07-09, 11:45 AM   #9
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaTransfer
Naw, gas prices in Vancouver have sucked too. Over the past few days it's been a total coinflip between about 89/litre and 1.01/litre.

Two nights in a row, I went out in the afternoon and saw gas at .89; driving back late at night it was more than $1/litre... next day it was .89 again!
I drove east from North Delta where it was at 101.7 and filled up in Abbotsford at 81.9 marked down to 77.4! but its a half hour drive going out there. For me its worth it to let my truck get down to its last few litres and then head out there to fill the 120 litre tank since the savings more than make up for the gas expense of going out there and back. I check the Gastips site regularly for prices in the GVRD and surrounding area.
Old 2005-07-09, 12:43 PM   #10

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Remember that in terms of cents per km, gas is only a portion of your vehicle expenses.

Other direct costs include:

- tire wear - 1-2 cents per km
- wear on the vehicle - brakes, engine, transmission, etc (depreciation from mileage) (need to trade/sell it sooner)
- possible additional insurance for additional distance travelled per year
- additional potental for accidents (harming yourself and your pocketbook).

Social costs:

- unnecessary environmental cost of pollution, greenhouse gas and highway wear.
- your time
- additional potential for accident (harming others)

Yeah, I'd drive to a different block to save some money, but driving that far cannot possibly be worth it. Or, if you see a low price and the tank is not quite empty (say less than half full) then a fillup may save a few $, but to drive all over hell's half acre to save some money on gas is "silly".

It's like driving to several different grocery stores to save a few cents on several grocery items.
Old 2005-07-09, 01:12 PM   #11
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
...to drive all over hell's half acre to save some money on gas is "silly".

It's like driving to several different grocery stores to save a few cents on several grocery items.
No its not. I make a specific drive to a specific place based on web reports, so the only variable is whether I go to a Shell, Esso, Chevron, or Husky along the same strip of road. Spread across a 120 liter fillup, a 22 cent difference per litre is worth it. Consumer activism, especially in the face of our current prices, is absolutely necessary and always to everyones' benefit. There are social issues that make me sometimes support local small businesses such as grocers rather than distant big box stores, but when it comes to gasoline (and I used to work in the oil & gas industry) I have no loyalties other than to my pocketbook. The gloom and doom portrait you painted about the potential woes of driving would seem to argue against anyone going anywhere in a vehicle to get a good deal on a purchase. That's not sensible.

One thing about your high horse, it's pollution is biodegradable once you get past the stink!
Old 2005-07-09, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
The gloom and doom portrait you painted about the potential woes of driving would seem to argue against anyone going anywhere in a vehicle to get a good deal on a purchase.
I was simply trying to point out all the costs. Sure, if there's a big enough saving, you should drive to get it. The point I was making was, is your time and all the other factors worth it. It costs a lot more than fuel to drive a car.

Sorry about causing a stink.

PS, people seem to needlessly get very emotional about the price of gas, when almost everything else they buy is more expensive. They'll pay more for water and a lot more for coffee and simply shug it off. Coke sells water for more than gas, and it's a major money-making corporation.
Old 2005-07-09, 01:47 PM   #13
Chris Auld

The difference in gas prices across the U.S. and Canada is almost entirely attributable to differences in taxation. I will make myself popular by noting that the tax rate on gasoline in Canada is far too *low*. Consumption of gasoline causes many harmful social effects including pollution, congestion, and accidents (not to mention the 300,000 enormous ugly SUVs and trucks clogging Calgary's roads!). Taxing activities which have harmful effects both reduces those effects and provides a source of tax revenue, meaning that all else equal other taxes can be reduced --- this double benefit implies that commodities such as gasoline should be highly taxed.

A number of econometric studies suggest the optimal tax rate on gasoline is about twice what we in Canada are currently paying.
Old 2005-07-09, 01:53 PM   #14
RNAChemist
Veteran

Maybe if the prices keep going up people will see it is cheaper to take public transit to work?

I personally like the idea of walking to work everyday. I gave my car to the wife and never use it. If I cant walk there I dont really need to go there. I feel better about it too: no traffic to deal with, no stupid drivers to stress me out, and related to this thread no worries about increased gas prices. Feels great.
Old 2005-07-09, 02:25 PM   #15
sharkman

This strategy of raising taxes to reduce consumption doesn't seem to work as well as hoped concerning smokers. They've also banned them from every public building and some outside places. It seems that everybody didn't quit. The only reason that my brother stopped was for serious health issues. Say what you like, our society still revolves around fuel. I seriously doubt whether doubling the taxes on gas would have the desired effect, and it would be a tax grab. I'm tired of being grabbed in that particular 'spot'.

I haven't been able to find info on Canada, but in the U.S. they haven't built a gas manufacturing plant in over 15 years. The supply there is so tight that when one of the plants goes down for some reason(one had a fire several months ago), it causes the price to flucuate.

I have no idea why our prices bounce around so much and whenever the media look into it the results seem inconclusive. But it doesn't make a lick of sense to be .85/ltr in the morning and .95/ltr in the everning. There has to be some fundamental reason for it.