9200 / 9242 / 9241 Installation 101 - Page 51 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV Hardware Installation Forum

Old 2006-03-29, 05:28 PM   #751
Q
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitron27
I have (1) 9200, (1) 6200 and (1) 3100
To keep all 3 and only have 2 lines running into the house you will need a DPP 44 switch.

You will also need either DP or DPP lnb(s).

In the 9200 package you will get legacy lnb's and the legacy SW 44 switch. None of which will help you.

Joe
Q is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-03-29, 05:29 PM   #752
Q
Veteran

copper,

hold down the power button until receiver reboots. I have had my 9200 since July I think and I have never had a stutter like that.
Old 2006-03-29, 06:19 PM   #753
Sam Squantch

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper
Hi Everyone, any help would be greatly appreciated. I just had the whole satellite system set up. BEV 9200, Sony 50" SXRD TV
. Everything is fantastic except when I record something on the PVR and play it back. Every 20- seconds it seems to hesitate for about 1 second. It's driving me nuts. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to correct it? Should I call a CSR?
Help!!:
I just bought a new 9200 a couple of weeks ago and had the same problem. It's a common bug with a lot of 9200s. No one on any of the threads is sure if it's hardware or software yet but the PVR definitely should not act this way. Bell sent me a replacement within three days of phoning them. Don't wait for some firmware or software upgrade as you shouldn't have to put up with this problem when you shelled out $600 for the receiver. Give Bell a call. Their first line of support will probably run you through the gambit of tests (check switch, unplug and restart, etc.) none of which will probably work. At that point they'll put you through to the next level of support who will promptly just take your info to ship you a new receiver. Level 2 support won't waste their time trying to fix it because they know it's not an isolated problem.

Hope this helps

Sam
Sam Squantch is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-03-29, 06:24 PM   #754
trinitron27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoe
To keep all 3 and only have 2 lines running into the house you will need a DPP 44 switch.

You will also need either DP or DPP lnb(s).

In the 9200 package you will get legacy lnb's and the legacy SW 44 switch. None of which will help you.

Joe
OK, just phoned Bell to ask the question why this won't work and they explained it to me perfectly. Now i get it. Thanks
trinitron27 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-03-30, 09:01 AM   #755
Q
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitron27
OK, just phoned Bell to ask the question why this won't work and they explained it to me perfectly. Now i get it. Thanks
Why won't what work? What was there resolution because they don't support DP or DPP equipment.
Old 2006-03-30, 09:19 AM   #756
trinitron27

Quote:
Why won't what work? What was there resolution because they don't support DP or DPP equipment.
What they said was that i would only get the odd or even transponders with only 1 cable from each LNB. I have to run 4 cables from the dish as they show in their instruction manual.

Combining 2 cables on Sat 91 and 2 Cables on Sat 82 won't work either. the SW44 can't seperate the odd and even transponders. That's just the way it works.

Somehow, i'll just have to run 2 more cables from the dish. Not overly worried though, my VHF/UHF antenna up on my tower does a great job at picking up all the Digital Stations from Buffalo and Toronto so i get High Def anyway through the ATSC tuner built into the receiver. I also asked bell about the pausing of the PVR on playback. He said it was software and should be fixed sometime in April.
trinitron27 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-03-30, 09:26 AM   #757
Q
Veteran

wow......you got a good one.

You can still do it with 2 lines but you will need to buy equipment from the states(ebay being the cheapest) as I stated above.

Joe
Old 2006-03-30, 10:43 AM   #758
Sam Squantch

Quote:
wow......you got a good one.

You can still do it with 2 lines but you will need to buy equipment from the states(ebay being the cheapest) as I stated above.

Joe
Joedoe is correct. And the first line of support at BEV have no clue about Dish Pro hardware. You won't get any ideas from them about how to hook up your system with just two lines off of the dish but it can be done. You will need to purchase a DPP44 switch off of eBay (~$100) and replace your legacy LNBs with a DP Twin or DPP Twin. I have a DP Twin LNB I purchased and didn't end up using. You can personal message me if you're interested in it.

Sam
Old 2006-03-30, 10:51 AM   #759
Sam Squantch

Default Diplexor?

Does anybody know what a diplexor is for? I received a couple of them when I purchased my DPP44 switch. I didn't need them for my setup. So I'm just wondering what they're used for.

Thanks

Sam
Old 2006-03-30, 11:03 AM   #760
Q
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Squantch
Does anybody know what a diplexor is for? I received a couple of them when I purchased my DPP44 switch. I didn't need them for my setup. So I'm just wondering what they're used for.

Thanks

Sam
it is used to separate or join 2 signals along the cable. ex. satallite and UHF.

with the dpp switch you should have got DPP separator's which look like a diplexor but don't work the same way. The separator allows you to run one cable from a DPP twin or DPP 44 switch into the separator which then outputs 2 lines into a dual tuner receiver.
Old 2006-03-30, 12:41 PM   #761
Sam Squantch

Quote:
it is used to separate or join 2 signals along the cable. ex. satallite and UHF.

with the dpp switch you should have got DPP separator's which look like a diplexor but don't work the same way. The separator allows you to run one cable from a DPP twin or DPP 44 switch into the separator which then outputs 2 lines into a dual tuner receiver.
Thanks Joedoe. I actually received separators and diplexors. As the DPP44 switch I purchased was from the US, the diplexors would probably have been included to accomodate OTA HD signals from an antenna which I don't get here in Calgary and thus I didn't need in my setup.

Sam
Old 2006-03-30, 01:54 PM   #762
stevelev

Quote:
I forgot that existing customers don't get free install with the purchase of a new receiver. Sorry. I have two 9200's. I got the first one from Futureshop the day they were released. I was on a pre-order list for that one. The second receiver I got from Bell World. I was on a wait list for one week to get the second receiver. They are in high demand but are available if you get on a wait list. If you're hooking it up yourself it, Ken0042's Option#5 on the first page of this thread might be what you want to try so you don't have to mess with the dish setup you already have.

Sam
Thanks again for your reply Sam. I actually bought a 9200 last night at FutureShop, their last one. LondonDrugs and BestBuy didn't have any and TheSource apparently no longer sells them.

I still have a question though. You mention using Ken0042's Option#5, however that uses 2 dishes and has 4 inputs to the SW44. If I don't have to, I'd rather not install another dish/cables until I'm going HD. My question is:can I continue to use my existing dish with only 2 cables to connect both the dual tuner 9200 and the 3100 using the SW44? All of the diagrams I've seen show 4 inputs to the SW44, and then going to any number of different output combinations, but I'll only have two inputs. My setup is more like the picture Trinitron27 recently posted, with the exceptions that both of my cables would be coming from the same satellite (and then going to 2 rcvrs, not 3).

Can I use the included SW44, or do I have to buy a different piece of hardware?

Thanks
stevelev is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-03-30, 02:03 PM   #763
Q
Veteran

I don't think you could use the SW44. I know you can use this though.

RCA switch

but that's a waste of money. I have an extra one if you really want to go that route.
Old 2006-03-30, 05:00 PM   #764
Sam Squantch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelev
Thanks again for your reply Sam. I actually bought a 9200 last night at FutureShop, their last one. LondonDrugs and BestBuy didn't have any and TheSource apparently no longer sells them.

I still have a question though. You mention using Ken0042's Option#5, however that uses 2 dishes and has 4 inputs to the SW44. If I don't have to, I'd rather not install another dish/cables until I'm going HD. My question is:can I continue to use my existing dish with only 2 cables to connect both the dual tuner 9200 and the 3100 using the SW44? All of the diagrams I've seen show 4 inputs to the SW44, and then going to any number of different output combinations, but I'll only have two inputs. My setup is more like the picture Trinitron27 recently posted, with the exceptions that both of my cables would be coming from the same satellite (and then going to 2 rcvrs, not 3).

Can I use the included SW44, or do I have to buy a different piece of hardware?

Thanks
The SW44 switch definitley won't work with just two inputs from one satellite. It needs all four inputs from two satellites. As well I'm not certain if the 9200 will work with just input from one satellite. I know that both tuners need to have an input for it to function properly but I'm not sure if that input can be from just one satellite or not. Obviously most people who buy a 9200 do so to get HD programming and your question is something that Bell probably hasn't encountered before. If you set up the second dish now and receive the feed from the HD satellite you will have everything ready to go once you get your HDTV. You should still get a signal from the HD satellite but will only get the HD preview channel. That should be enough to set everything up. You can order the HD programming at a later date once you get the TV. I can't really think of another solution.

Sam
Old 2006-03-30, 06:31 PM   #765
stevelev

Quote:
The SW44 switch definitley won't work with just two inputs from one satellite. It needs all four inputs from two satellites. As well I'm not certain if the 9200 will work with just input from one satellite. I know that both tuners need to have an input for it to function properly but I'm not sure if that input can be from just one satellite or not. Obviously most people who buy a 9200 do so to get HD programming and your question is something that Bell probably hasn't encountered before. If you set up the second dish now and receive the feed from the HD satellite you will have everything ready to go once you get your HDTV. You should still get a signal from the HD satellite but will only get the HD preview channel. That should be enough to set everything up. You can order the HD programming at a later date once you get the TV. I can't really think of another solution.

Sam
Thanks joedoe and Sam.

Well it certainly sounds like I can't use the SW44 as I had hoped.

I guess if it's not clear whether the 9200 would work with both inputs coming from the same satellite, the RCA switch may not be a solution for me. It sounds like I need to do some work.

Sorry, but one other question: I'm not exactly sure what came in the box (I'm still at work), but I did see an LNB in there. Can I use my existing 46cm dish (which of course is already mounted/aimed/grounded, etc.) and simply add the LNB and cable it into the house, or do I need the 50cm dish and all that comes with it to see both satellites? I know in future I may need two dishes, but at this moment I can't see why I would. Also, the existing dish is mounted on my chimney towards the front of the house, so another dish there wouldn't look too great.

Thanks,
Steve
stevelev is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
9200, 9242, belltv, dpp33, dpp44, expressvu, installation, sw44

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.