No more FM via Cable? More Bandwidth? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2005-05-16, 11:50 AM   #1
magnet

Default No more FM via Cable? More Bandwidth?

Full story here...

Cable wants to drop radio stations
May 12, 2005
OTTAWA – The Canadian Cable Telecommunications Association has asked the CRTC to let its members drop FM radio from their carriage requirements.

Specifically, the association wants the Commission to repeal section 22 of the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations, which currently require all cable systems to carry every local FM radio signal in their regions on their cable plant.

The CCTA says that so few people actually listen to the radio via cable that it’s a waste of bandwidth that could be put to better use… carrying high definition TV for example. MSOs could, if they wished, still carry the stations as digital services, if the stations desired – and deals were done.
Advertisement

Old 2005-05-16, 12:05 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I listen to Cable FM all the time. Each morning and evening. I would miss it, although I could probably pick up a few stations with a dipole. Can't imagine it uses a lot of bandwidth...

I've moved this thread into the Cable Forum since it's not specific to Shaw.
Old 2005-05-16, 01:57 PM   #3
smallmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
I listen to Cable FM all the time. Each morning and evening. I would miss it, although I could probably pick up a few stations with a dipole. Can't imagine it uses a lot of bandwidth...

I've moved this thread into the Cable Forum since it's not specific to Shaw.
I never have listend to cable FM. I don't have any radios that accept an external antenna input.

I would really like to have my local radio stations available on digital. I would definitely listen, since I get pretty bad reception where I am.

As for the bandwidth question, it the space used for the FM band take 16 Mhz, which is nearly three analog channels worth, or 30 or so digital, 6-9 HDTV. However, I imagine there would be interference problems with OTA FM signals.

Mark
Old 2005-05-16, 02:34 PM   #4
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmj
I would definitely listen, since I get pretty bad reception where I am.
However, I imagine there would be interference problems with OTA FM signals.
Come over to the OTA forum and ask Tigerbangs for his advice on FM antennas. He's an expert.
Old 2005-05-16, 02:45 PM   #5
magnet

A simple solution might be to add these channels as digital channels... I'm not sure how much bandwidth galaxie and max-trax use up. If it works for satellite... surely they can make it work for digital cable.
Old 2005-05-16, 03:10 PM   #6

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmj
However, I imagine there would be interference problems with OTA FM signals.
I've noticed no interference on Rogers FM, assuming the cable connection is good. They use almost all the frequencies, but there are a couple they don't use - like the major Toronto stations.

I may have been misreading this sentence and it may have been directed simply at using OTA instead of Cable. Sorry.
Old 2005-05-16, 04:15 PM   #7
smallmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
I've noticed no interference on Rogers FM, assuming the cable connection is good. They use almost all the frequencies, but there are a couple they don't use - like the major Toronto stations.

I may have been misreading this sentence and it may have been directed simply at using OTA instead of Cable. Sorry.
What I was trying to say that if the cable companies tried to use the FM band (92-108 Mhz) for digital services, OTA FM signals might interfere.

Mark
Old 2005-05-16, 05:24 PM   #8
querty-m4n

When I had Shaw Cable, some of the FM frequencies couldn't be heard because of adjacent channel interference. At one time, the Spokane radio stations were clear because the cableco didn't filter the signal, now they all sound quiet and not very clear. Possibly due to the changeover from Cogeco to Shaw in 2000. So, now that I'm using BEV, I've noticed the clarity of the digital radio signals. So, really cable FM isn't a necessity for me anymore.
Old 2005-05-16, 05:24 PM   #9
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgyclaytonmagnet
A simple solution might be to add these channels as digital channels... I'm not sure how much bandwidth galaxie and max-trax use up. If it works for satellite... surely they can make it work for digital cable.
They could provide "FM-like" quality with 128 kbps so you can fit about 150 digital FM radio channels in the 19.2 Mbps that is allocated to an HDTV channel.
Old 2005-05-17, 06:23 PM   #10
mcpish

It's times like this I'm glad I got my Sirius satellite radio, man what a good purchase. I used to listen to NPR sometimes on Cable FM, but if the cable companies like Shaw are going to drop it, and Satellite radio isn't officially approved in Canada, this merely reinforces in my mind what a good decision it was to go and buy a Sirius Satellite radio a few months ago.

They can drop the FM if they want, fortunately I'm not stuck listening to that crappy Galaxie/MaxTrax thing that the cable companies have either.
Old 2005-05-17, 08:36 PM   #11
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpish
It's times like this I'm glad I got my Sirius satellite radio, man what a good purchase. I used to listen to NPR sometimes on Cable FM, but if the cable companies like Shaw are going to drop it, and Satellite radio isn't officially approved in Canada, this merely reinforces in my mind what a good decision it was to go and buy a Sirius Satellite radio a few months ago.

They can drop the FM if they want, fortunately I'm not stuck listening to that crappy Galaxie/MaxTrax thing that the cable companies have either.
What's wrong with Galaxie/Trax? I think there music is excellent. There is also another way to get 100s of radio stations without having to pay a monthly fee - it is called the internet!
Old 2005-05-17, 10:09 PM   #12
querty-m4n

I love Galaxie, it seems to be better than MaxxTraxx atm. Why? More music selection.
Old 2005-05-18, 01:23 AM   #13
JesseJ
Veteran

I wish Shaw carried all the Galaxiw/MT stations....They took at least 1 good one away a year or so ago (swingin' standards) and replaced it with an oldies French station (YECCH). They should give us all 80 or 60 or however many their are.
HOWEVER...I do listen to cable FM. Out sports talk station is available on it, so I listen to that alot. As are some descent Spokane stations, and the Calgary stations in Cable.
Old 2005-05-18, 07:48 AM   #14
Ex_Brit

Thumbs down

I've been listening to cable radio for years (Rogers - Toronto) and would miss it. When you live in a north-facing highrise in Toronto, it's not that easy to get a clean signal using an antenna.

I noticed that Rogers stopped publishing their Radio Guide a couple of years ago and wondered how long it would last.

Just fired off a complaint to the CRTC.

Shame!

Last edited by Ex_Brit; 2005-05-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 2005-05-18, 10:11 AM   #15
bgclarke
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by querty-m4n
I love Galaxie, it seems to be better than MaxxTraxx atm. Why? More music selection.
Galaxie also seems to have a cleaner sound, whereas MaxTrax seems to sound more muddy.