Anyone Subsribe To VDSL With Bell Express Vu? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Canada Home Phone and Internet

Old 2005-04-24, 09:16 PM   #1
bigtimecanadian

Default Anyone Subsribe To VDSL With Bell Express Vu?

Anyone Subsribe To VDSL With Bell Express Vu?
bigtimecanadian is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-04-25, 10:35 AM   #2
Polaris75

Are they actually offering it now? Or are they just testing still? I'm quite fed up with Rogers and on the wrong side of my building to get sat, so this might be a good alternative ...

Although I'm not a big fan of Bell and don't want to give them my money any more than I want Rogers to have it, I am very upset with Rogers at the moment due to the new caps on their Internet service.
Polaris75 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-04-25, 02:31 PM   #3
dialog_gvf
Veteran

The bus shelter near my condo has an ad for Bell ExpressVU via the phone line. But it isn't available in my building yet.

VDSL eh? I wonder what the Internet usage speeds will be?

Not much good for me without HD. And that would need 40 Mbps for two streams. (drool)

Gary
Old 2005-04-25, 02:58 PM   #4
FlyingFingers

I just got the ExpressVU for Condos along with the High Speed Ultra. I've had the HSE Ultra for a while as ADSL. To get the ExpressVu through the phone wires (unbelieveable!) the service was upgraded to VDSL.
FlyingFingers is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-04-25, 10:02 PM   #5
dialog_gvf
Veteran

Well, I think it is more accurately to describe is as "through the buildings existing phone wiring". It is a LAN over phone copper.

Clearly they need to bring something substantial into the building. Basically, they've moved the C.O. into the building. Hence far shorter run lengths, and VDSL capability.

Given that VDSL is capable of extremely high speed (50-100Mbps). I wonder why they've launched with something so puny.

But, price wise I see the potential. $86 per month for a full suite of TV channels + HSE ($39 as a bundle). So, really it is $47 per month.

Damn, if only it offered HD.

Gary
Old 2005-04-25, 11:02 PM   #6
bigtimecanadian

Will It Be Avilabile In Houses?
bigtimecanadian is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-04-26, 02:07 PM   #7
FlyingFingers

The price was the main reason I got it.

The High Speed Ultra + Rogers cable was in excess of $110/mo.

ExpressVu with just the bundles I want + High Speed Ultra is about $70 or $75.
I prefer their bundle arrangements rather than Rogers' channel bundles.

The video doesn't break up into digital pixels as Rogers often did.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting used to the three digit channel numbers

The internet performance is a bit off. They claim it should be the same as before so they are coming out to fix it. If they get that together I'd say this is a winning package. If they can't, then I'd hesitate to go for this - internet is more important to me than TV. I'd just go for HS Ultra and a pair of rabbit ears!
FlyingFingers is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-04-27, 08:27 PM   #8
dialog_gvf
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimecanadian
Will It Be Avilabile In Houses?
I suspect no, until Bell does some reworking of the delivery system for phones, moving high speed fiber closer to the homes ("fiber to the pole"). Or VDSL significantly improves its run length.

Gary
Old 2005-08-25, 05:10 PM   #9
gutenjuni

Question Internet Speed with VDSL

Has anyone got Express VU and HSE together?
I just wonder how fast the internet service is.

In my country, Internet speed has been increase incredibly since the VDSL service was started.

That's why I wonder.
gutenjuni is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-09-12, 11:29 PM   #10
JPinTO

I get a solid 3.0 mbps download.
JPinTO is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-09-26, 04:04 PM   #11
rad_sci_guy

I used this service in my condo for the last 3 months. I gave it up just last week mainly because I wanted HDTV and only Rogers offers that option for a condo. I found the the Sympatico HS was spotty. I felt it took longer to load pages than previously with just the regular Sympatico and I found that whenever Bell would do software upgrades on the VDSL set top box I couldn't connect to the net. It happens quite often (usually after 11 pm) but that's when I'm usually on the net.

Overall I found the product lacking. The VDSL guide was only for 2 days and it didn't work well synchronizing with my VCR to record shows.. had too may programs cut off. There is no PVR version available either. Customer service for this product is almost non-exisitent. Often times you get switch from VDSL to Sympatico when you have a problem with the internet part. I found most of the customer service reps had no clue how you hook this box up and how you were connected to the internet. The set top box I got was the latest hardware and was not the same one showcased on the website or the promotional flyers so I found it very difficult to read up on the specifications of the hardware.

I finally gave back the expressvu but wanted to continue my sympatico. I asked for a modem to be sent out to me (twice) and Bell failed to order one for me. I got fed up and called them again only to get their lame excuse that when your building goes VDSL that you cannot use the regular high speed modems anymore. I think it's a crock because I was using such modem before trying the tv service. Anyway I was fed up with the lack of support Bell provides with this service and have gone back to Rogers for my tv as well as signing up for cable internet.

If you decide to go with this service, be prepared for very little customer support as they don't offer 24 hour service for either tech or billing assistance. I feel Bell has rushed this product out to try and maintain a foothold in the market as more and more people choose to live in high-rise condos where the rules prohibit satelite dishes and Rogers cable is the only other option.
rad_sci_guy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-01-04, 09:42 PM   #12
gutenjuni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimecanadian
Anyone Subsribe To VDSL With Bell Express Vu?
I did.

But I feel it was not a good choice.
gutenjuni is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-01-05, 02:37 PM   #13
I_Want_My_HDTV

Arrow

VDSL is still basically in beta testing so it is not surprising you had issues and poor support. That is why it is so cheap. They need customers to test market it. Rogers gave its cable internet customers free service for over a year in when they beta tested. After the testing is over and everything works the price will go up. It sounds like the STBs are not very good and the system has bugs. With MPEG4, VDSL is cable of carrying several HD channels, DSL internet and telephone at the same time.
I_Want_My_HDTV is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.