OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Where Can I buy and general buying discussions

Old 2005-11-18, 12:24 AM   #61
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Hee hee, I find it wonderfully ironic that the antenna guy in Simcoe Ontario doesn't carry the homegrown Wade-Delhi brand. I guess its like being a Ford dealer in Oshawa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-11-18, 08:15 AM   #62
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
Hee hee, I find it wonderfully ironic that the antenna guy in Simcoe Ontario doesn't carry the homegrown Wade-Delhi brand. I guess its like being a Ford dealer in Oshawa.
I bought my Wade 306 from him, you just need to tell him what you want. ALthough it wasnt cheap.
Old 2005-11-18, 12:03 PM   #63
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Sounds like a good dealer.
Old 2005-12-09, 12:06 PM   #64
vipros

Question Looking for the recommendation of pro antenna installer (GTA)

Hi,

I know this has been discussed many times here; but I still don't get a straight answer. The questions I have:
1. cost range of outdoor antenna installation
2. referrals of good professional installers/companies in the Toronto area.

Thank you,
Old 2006-02-16, 01:06 PM   #65
wetdog

Default Happy Customer of Sal's TV in Scarborough

I purchased a Digital Stream stand alone receiver and a 4228 channel master antenna from Sal's Tv in Scarbourgh. The results are amazing. A yr ago I didnt even know you could get HD off air untill I did some homework. Between this forum and calling a few places in the GTA I am now up to speed. I found a guy at Sal's to be the most helpful, he even showed me a few tricks to make the install quite easy. I am finally getting full use of HD tv I bought. By the way....there is nothing like watching the olympics and hockey in HD.

Last edited by stampeder; 2006-05-09 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Removed personal name of vendor for privacy reasons
Old 2006-03-22, 04:36 PM   #66
HDTV101
Veteran

Default New TV Towers for sale!

What do you guys think of this tower? He has 100 sections for sale.... now that spring is here I was thinking of going with a 40 foot tower!

http://cgi.********/Brand-New-TV-Ante...QQcmdZViewItem

The guys in Ontario too!
Old 2006-03-22, 04:57 PM   #67
Yaamon
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230

HDTV101 that piece of tower looks nice I like the look of that clean Hot dipped Galvanized section.

I wonder how many tops does he have for sale to go with those sections.
Old 2006-03-22, 06:36 PM   #68
HDTV101
Veteran

I just asked him about the top sections.... I'll let you know as soon as I hear from the guy.
Old 2006-03-22, 06:58 PM   #69
foxfan

They look nice and new but I honestly would NEVER pay $125 PER SECTION for an antenna tower. It is much easier to get one cheap or sometimes free from people in your neighborhood that are no longer using theirs.
Old 2006-03-23, 08:26 PM   #70
HDTV101
Veteran

I heard back from the guy and he will have tops in the next few weeks...

Response from vegasdeuces
---------------------------------------

Item: Brand New TV Antenna Tower Sections - Satelitte - Radio (5871592946)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
vegasdeuces is the Seller.
---------------------------------------
Hi, Yes they will be available in the next few weeks
Thanks
Old 2006-03-24, 12:58 PM   #71
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Map of Lyndon, Ontario site of towers for sale

I found a map of Lyndon, Ontario from a veterinarian's website. Lyndon is where the ebay seller has these TV Antenna towers available cash and carry:

Old 2006-03-24, 01:10 PM   #72
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan
It is much easier to get one cheap or sometimes free...
I agree with you, but if you're getting an old tower that has been sitting in a field or yard it could be covered in dirt, corrosion, tetanus, mould, etc. and if it's not galvanized steel its probably rusty too.

Put the segments into the back of an open pickup truck and taking them to a spray wash, where you can really blast them with soapy water. No need to wax them... and if the steel is not galvanized, paint it with rust paint asap after the wash down.

Let's see, a nice lime green on the poles and a brilliant fuscia and turquoise pattern on the crossbars...
Old 2006-03-24, 04:27 PM   #73
jurassicjockey

Hey I used to play hockey in Lynden a decade or three ago. We used to have to clear the ice in between periods with snow shovels, no zamboni. The arena fell down a couple of decades ago. Last time I was through there I think there was about ten houses or so.

Re: used towers. I sold my neighbours tower on ebay a few years ago for $75. Free standing 64'er. It was in excellent shape. Went to a ham radio operator in Michigan. My tower, also a 64' free-standing came from another neighbour who wanted it out of his yard. Gave it a good coat of rust paint, followed by a good exterior metal paint, and it looked almost as good as new.
Old 2006-04-05, 11:40 AM   #74
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Buffalo sources

z0z0, welcome here and please click on the links in my signature (bottom of this post) to get up to speed on what kinds of info you can find here in the OTA Forum to answer your questions.

The Equipment thread has info on Buffalo sources. You'll also find that I do not recommend Antennas Direct products for the simple reason that they are terribly overpriced without an equivalently greater performance benefit, although the build quality of some of their models is high.

For the record, the CM4228 has so many advantages on the DB-8 (cost, VHF High capability, availability, accumulated real world experiences, etc.) that its almost unfair to compare them.

Don't pay so much attention to dB numbers you see on web sites. Yaamon's advice and some reading in this Forum are what you need to keep you going in a good direction
Old 2006-04-05, 04:05 PM   #75
z0z0

Thanks for the feedback. I did search the links at the bottom of your post but I did not see anything about Buffalo antenna retailers.

I agree that you guys are a wealth of information and I will be basing my purchase decision primarily on what I learn here. Too bad there are no reviews on the AD Lacrosse Amplified antenna. Maybe I could be a guinea pig.

For now - I bought a used SS-2000 off a friend who lives in the north end of Toronto - it was not good enough for him but it might be good for me since I live in Mississauga

A guy that I came across on ebay said the following - agreeing with everything said here already:
Quote:
i do not carry the db 8 I carry the channel master 4228 Which in al honesty is a much better antenna than the antennas Direct db 8. They sent me 3 antennas to test as i've been in the business for 22 years. They wanted me to sell they're product. I was shocked at how poorly constructed the Yagi antennas like the 91xg and how stupid the design of the db8 was. Istead of just building a 8 bay they combine 2 4 bay antennas with a oupler. that coupler looses any gain you may have imagned by putting them together. The channel master on the other hand phases the 2 stacks of bays with 300 ohm network which results in 0 loss.
EDIT - personal info of retailers removed according to DHC rules