OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Where Can I buy and general buying discussions

Old 2005-05-12, 04:58 PM   #16
e268

I went to a local RS store in mid town Toronto, and wanted to buy some resistors and trimmers. The shop is almost empty, and the sales guys said they are in the process of restocking with TheSource stuff in a week or two.

Where do I go to buy electroinc parts such as resistors, trimmers and heat shrink tubing, close to mid town or dt t.o.? Electro Sonic is far out in Markham or North York. Any suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 2005-05-12, 05:06 PM   #17
dialog_gvf
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by e268
I went to a local RS store in mid town Toronto, and wanted to buy some resistors and trimmers. The shop is almost empty, and the sales guys said they are in the process of restocking with TheSource stuff in a week or two.

Where do I go to buy electroinc parts such as resistors, trimmers and heat shrink tubing, close to mid town or dt t.o.? Electro Sonic is far out in Markham or North York. Any suggestions?
RS was always way overpriced for this stuff anyway.

How about Active Surplus on Queen St. West? Suprematronic (sp?) is a few doors away too.

Gary
Old 2005-05-12, 05:14 PM   #18
e268

Thanks. I have forgotten Active Surplus. Hope I can find what I need there. I am trying to mod my PSU to give me more voltage for my Mushkin Blue memory.
Old 2005-06-09, 09:23 AM   #19
Tom.F.1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
I know I can look in the yellow pages, but does anyone have any preferences when they're purchasing their antenna needs in the West of Toronto and Hamilton area.
I object to purchasing over the net, ending up paying as much for shipping as for the object you purchased besides I am retired and have the time to browse around stores and talk to people.
I thought i should put in a good word for the place i bought my Channelmaster antenna.

HOSICK Television
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...31&postcount=6

Lou was very helpfull and talked me into the 8 bay. They carry different models and hardware.

Last edited by stampeder; 2005-06-15 at 11:15 PM. Reason: content might be against DHC rules
Old 2005-06-16, 12:30 PM   #20
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Cool Looking for a local OTA equipment dealer?

Are you trying to find a local OTA equipment dealer but your area is not shown in this thread? Here are some starting points for finding dealers:

Winegard
http://www.winegard.com

Wade Antenna
http://www.wade-antenna.com

Channel Master
http://www.channelmaster.com

And don't forget Trenton Distributors listed earlier in this thread. Also bear in mind that some OTA equipment dealers may not be store-front businesses but rather installers who can also sell you equipment.
Old 2005-06-27, 10:36 AM   #21
da_jonesy

Unhappy Where have all the antennae dealers and installers gone?

Where have all the antennae dealers and installers gone from the Niagara region and Hamilton?

The ones listed in the phone book never return calls. I've got money to spend on getting an antennae professionally installed. It's as if they have way to much business to handle.
Old 2005-07-05, 09:39 AM   #22
tricky

Default Simcoe ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jonesy
Where have all the antennae dealers and installers gone from the Niagara region and Hamilton?

The ones listed in the phone book never return calls. I've got money to spend on getting an antennae professionally installed. It's as if they have way to much business to handle.

This guy is from Simcoe so I don't know if he will service your area, I know he is busy and told me a lot of his business is installing OTA antenna's. He does BEV, STAR etc including Wireless Internet for a local serever.

http://www.donsat.com/
Old 2005-07-07, 08:15 PM   #23
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Channel Master & Winegard Dealer near Buffalo, NY

I was checking into antenna dealers in the Buffalo NY area and came across this company, which lists Channel Master & Winegard amongst their products:

http://www.richantenna.com/

They're in Lancaster, just east of Buffalo Airport. I'd like to hear from anyone who has dealt with them or is in the process of doing that.
Old 2005-07-07, 08:39 PM   #24
weblurker

Default A1 Components

www.a1components.com sells the 4228 for US$39. I sent them an email asking about shipping to Canada and they said they do ship here. I think the cost was US$22 and they'd ship by US Post. That might be significant because, IIRC, UPS charges a $30 or $40 customs brokerage fee but the Canada Customs fee is only $5.

I've never bought from A1 Components though. If you do try them, you might post the results here.
Old 2005-07-07, 08:49 PM   #25
Crispy

A1 Components,

That's who I bought my Winegard Square Shooter from. Excellent service and response; although I got soaked for customs fees.

Crispy
Old 2005-07-07, 08:59 PM   #26
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Angry DTVGear

Last year I bought a CM4228 for $38US and a Winegard AP8275 for $41US from DTVGear and learned the hard way about using UPS Ground delivery.

By the time all the duties and S&H fees were added I was in for $182.90 Canadian! I rerouted the order through my company's customs broker and still paid about $120 when all was said and done. I wish I had known about Mr. 4DTV_HD back then!!!
Old 2005-07-08, 04:38 PM   #27
fonthill hdtv

called the guy at rich antenna and he said he could get the 4228 for me for $85.00 us said the distributor charges like 39.00 to ship? he tried talking me into the Winegard PR8800 8-Bay UHF Bowtie Antenna saying it has better reception has anyone got any thoughts he sells it for 75.00 and has them in stock. both prices seem high when i can order from A1 for $39.00 and as weblurker stated shipping is only 22.00. what to do. Anyone in the niagara area using the 4228 I'm hoping it will help me get ctv and cbc out of To
Old 2005-07-08, 05:13 PM   #28
rob50312

Default pr8800 winegard

ITs not a good choice above channel 40.I have received a winegard preamp and antenna mount from rich in Buffalo.He shipped it quick and well packed.
Old 2005-07-08, 08:36 PM   #29
jeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonthill hdtv
both prices seem high when i can order from A1 for $39.00 and as weblurker stated shipping is only 22.00. what to do.
After reading this thread, I contacted a1components.com and here is what they replied:

Quote:
The antenna is too big to ship international by USPS. The rate to Niagra Falls NY is 66.00 to give you an idea. The box size requires an oversize charge no matter how we send it.

By UPS to you it is 51.15 and their details say that there is no additional charge based on value. We cannot guarantee that there is no problem once it reaches Canada though.
If I have to pay ~$50 US to ship to the GTA (not including any customs or broker fees), it starts to get pretty expensive. I may have to consider a local shop.
Old 2005-07-08, 09:30 PM   #30
HDTV101
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneral
After reading this thread, I contacted a1components.com and here is what they replied:

If I have to pay ~$50 US to ship to the GTA (not including any customs or broker fees), it starts to get pretty expensive. I may have to consider a local shop.
I had 2 CM UHF antennas arrive CRUSHED by UPS. I refused the order and they went back to the company in the US like that. I phoned them up right away and told them what happened. I got all my money back... they were nice about it but said they can't ship me any replacements... not that I wanted to go through that again. Antennas are shipped in a very light duty cardboard box. They are not strong... being made of aluminum... so if UPS puts some heavy box on top of the antenna in the truck the box it will be crushed or damaged. Be sure to check out the box when it arrives for damage. I was lucky I was home when the UPS guy showed up... if it was my mom or sis they would have just signed for it... then I would be stuck with damaged goods and have to make a claim through UPS... etc... Big headache then.