Blinking "Lamp" Light on Samsung DLP - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2005

Old 2005-04-08, 11:51 AM   #1
G30

Default Blinking "Lamp" Light on Samsung DLP

Let's throw another log on to the Samsung DLP bonfire.

A few weeks ago, the Lamp light on my brother's January 2005 HLP4663 blinked repeatedly but the TV refused to turn on.

Last week, my January 2005 HLP4663 did the same thing. No picture, no audio, just a blinking Lamp light. I read the manual, and it said that a blinking Lamp light means "the TV will start in 30 seconds". We gave it at least 10 minutes, and it still did not turn on. From the absence of any noise from the set ,I am confidently assuming that the Fan and Colour Wheel did not initialize. The only way to get the TV to boot was to "reset" it by pulling the power cord from the outlet, and leaving the set unplugged for a few minutes.

Anyhow, the service depot has ordered a new lamp for me. I doubt that it is the lamp to blame, but I will take it.

Anyone with similar experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-04-15, 02:20 PM   #2
Murph

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I have refrained from registering, and posting on this board, for fear of jinxing myself!
My 4663 did the exact same thing when it was 2-3 weeks old. I had to do the same as you (shut down at surge protector), wait a few minutes then restart. This was mid January, and it's never done it since.
I have turned the set on a few times (maybe 6 total), and had a few thin red horizonal lines, and square outlines all over the screen. It's like I'm seeing the outlines of the mirrors. When this happens I just shut the set off, wait the few minutes for the fans to shut down, then restart. It's never come back two starts in a row.
Other than that it's run flawlessly. No screen smudges, no color wheel noises, just a great picture.
Hope you have better luck with your new set. BTW, mines a Nov/04 build.

Cheers... Murph.
Old 2005-04-15, 04:38 PM   #3
Leo

Yes it sounds like a bulb, the 43" that i aquired had the same problem

Leo
Old 2005-10-29, 07:47 PM   #4
Bruce Fan

Location: Richmond Hill, ON -- Samsung UN55C6300, Samsung HLP4663W, BellTV 9241 x2, JVC RX8000V, LG BD555C

I've had my HLP4663 for 10 months now and this afternoon when I turned it on it made a wierd single beep (not the normal tones) and the lamp light started blinking. I left it for a few minutes and the set didn't come on.

I the "unplug it, plug it back it" maneuver and it started up fine. I haven't tried again.

Is this something I should be worried about or just a "blip"? There is no way I could have used up the life on my bulb already.

Many thanks!
Old 2005-10-30, 08:53 AM   #5
Bplayer

I have had this happen with my 5063 a few times over the last year. The first incident was scarry, was this the dreaded lamp problem. It seems to happen if the power is recycled on and off too quickly, or after a power failure if the unit was on.

It's nothing to worry about, just an inconvenience (especially for me as my power plug is burried deep behind my wall unit).
Old 2005-10-31, 04:57 PM   #6
sidoh

Default Lamp Problems

I have a HLP 5063W since August 04. About 10 days ago, when I tried to turn on the unit, the LAMP light signal came on. According to the manual, this meant the bulb had to be replaced. Thats after 14 months use of about 2hours per day. We are 2 seniors with no kids in our house and 2 other sets that we use occasionally. We estimated total use of the DLP unit at approximately 850 hours. Samsung's manual says the bulb should last between 6000 and 8000 hours. It's now past the one year warranty you're on your own. Forget it.
Anyway, after a 10 day wait, and $350 later, the Samsung distributor got me a replacement bulb. Forget the manual instructions. Whoever translated the replacement instructions should go back to school. After a couple of hours figuring it out, and a few phone calls, I finally got the new bulb installed.
I have to say that the picture using a HDMI cable connection and a Rogers PVR box, has always been the envy of all my relatives and friends . Fortunately it still is.
Old 2005-11-01, 09:58 AM   #7
Lexx

sidoh

Well that's not very good news. I have a Samsung DLP too, and certainly hope to get more than a year or so out of the bulb.

I don't think there's too much you can really do to lengthen a bulbs life. The only two rules I follow are to never move my TV for any reason while the bulb is still warm. All my equipment is in the stand (on casters), and if want to adjust anything and move the unit away from the wall, I wait until the bulb is room temperature.

The other thing I did was to get a UPS, a battery back-up. It's not a huge unit (800 VA), but enough to keep the fan going on the TV until it cools normally. If there is a power failure the family knows to turn off the TV immediately.

I don't know if you live in an area that has power problems, or even if the TV was on during those periods, but I've read that the bulb life will be reduced if not allowed to cool down in the proper manner.

Anyway, that rate of sales of all DLP TVs is surging beyond all expectations. All we can do is hope that the future demand for bulbs will drop the price. From reading a US forum, I see that bulbs for Samsung models has already dropped to $199 US.

Cheers