Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Where to purchase a C Band Dish?

7K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  eagle2410 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am in the market for a C band dish (8 foot minimum). Are there any Canadian dealers that sell such an antenna?

Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
I am also looking on ebay and there is quite a good selection of mesh c band dishes but I don't know how reliable they are...the manufacturer is a company called satellites gallore! Has anyone purchased one?

Also, what size is best for Southern Ontario? Is 240cm okay? :confused:

#6 ·
Be very wary of buying from an unproven source. A 2.4 m dish has to be strong enough to stand up to high forces during strong winds. Not all are built that strong!

Have you considered picking up a used one? Although not very plentiful, they often go for $100 or so (but the buyer usually has to take them down). Look in Kijiji. There is a thread on Satelliteguys where members post adverts they've found for used dishes on Kijiji and Craigslist.

#7 ·
Thanks folks.

After some consideration, I decided to purchase a 10ft mesh from ebay.

We don't get hurricane force winds in Ontario, but the dish looks like it is ruggedly built. Also, it seems like 10ft diamater is the best size for getting all the HD channels which apparently are broadcast in DVB-S2.

I will post back after I set it up! :)

#8 ·
As the only ones on ebay seem to be tek2000 or their alias, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have read a number of comments about the cardboard packaging being too flimsy, resulting in some minor (but not significant) damage to the dish. If you can, I would pick it up yourself from Scarboro (your gas has got to be less than CDN $280 they want for shipping!).

#9 ·
I finally got the dish!

The outer package was torn in one place but there was a second box inside and there was no damage to the dish itself. I guess they use two layers of cardboard now.

As for the dish itself, I was very impressed. It consisted of a heavy mount frame (about 36 inches in diameter and 50 lbs in weight). There were 8 panels in total, 4 LNB rods, feed cover, nuts and bolts pouch and LNB feed.

My only complaint was finding a pole to mount the dish. It takes a 4.25 inch outer diameter pole and you can't find any for sale at the local Home Depot! Luckily, a contractor friend of mine who frames industrial mezzanines was able to supply the right size pole. :p

I've got the dish mounted now and just need to align it properly and peak the signal strengths for various satellites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.