Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Discovery vs Discovery World - What's the difference (2014)?

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Inglewood 
#1 ·
I used to watch Scarborough Rogers channel 534 from time to time as it was the HD version of Discovery, aka Discovery World, but now I notice that channel 42 Discovery is also in HD.

The programming wasn't the same but there is overlap.

A while back I cancelled my extra channel pack that included Discovery World. For me it wasn't a big deal since I usually just had it as background viewing when nothing else was on. Now that Discovery is in HD, Discovery World has become superfluous for me. How important for you is Discovery World vs. the regular Discovery channel? When did Discovery go HD?

#3 ·
Thanks. I saw that thread, but the last post there is 3 years old. I'm kind of wondering what has changed in the last while.

I do believe it went HD a lot later on Rogers than on Bell. Same for Space. I think I waited for over a year before Space finally came to Rogers in HD.

#5 ·
Heh. I've had the regular Discovery Channel in HD for 2 years and didn't even know it. I could have gotten rid of Discovery World earlier.

Mind you the Discovery World channel is packaged with the time shifting HD channels from Seattle, and I was actually using those until this spring. Now I don't use those either, as more and more of my viewing has turned to online streaming with Netflix, and the TV channel apps on my iPad.

---

I've been browsing through the schedules of Discovery vs Discovery World and it does still seem like Discovery World a few more interesting shows to me. eg. Stephen Hawking's Brave New World and Megabuilders, etc. But overall both have some OK shows, so if you're only watching it occasionally and superficially, one or the other is fine. Not a pressing need for both.

In the past it was clear, one was SD and one was HD, so the latter was definitely very preferred. That is not the case any longer.

#7 ·
And Discovery World has a lot more reruns! I beg to differ with many here. It served its purpose but like OASIS, EQ/Smithsonian etc. it is time for the HD only channels to shut down. They don't offer much of interest anymore now that practically every specialty channel is in HD.

#8 ·
I agree - Discovery World has a few shows I like, but they are 2-3 seasons ago and in perpetual re-runs!

Some of the shows have had more seasons overseas, yet we are still getting the same cycle of the same seasons here in Canada.

I'm very disappointed in both Discovery Channels of late - very few new shows, and anything new seems to be a copy-cat of an existing show on another network.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.