Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Number of Wireless Receivers?

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  macmillan 
#1 ·
Is there a limit to the number of wireless receivers you can have connected and running at the same time?
Also, is it possible to restrict access to the DVR from those wireless receivers?
Thanks

#4 ·
rpokane, how many TVs do you want to connect?

One PVR + 3 wireless receivers would allow 4 TVs. If Aliant strictly enforces the 3 wireless receiver limit, you should be able to order additional wired receivers for up to 7 TVs in total.

The Small Business section of the site says you can have 7 TVs, it doesn't specify wired or wireless.

I think Bell Fibe in Ontario and Quebec uses the same wireless equipment and they allow 5 wireless receivers.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1620330

Aliant may advertise 3 to limit expectations, since the installer may run into problems with interference which would affect overall throughput. They may allow more on a "best effort" basis if there aren't any problems.

#5 ·
I'm asking on behalf of a friend who runs a B&B/Inn operation who is debating between Rogers/FibreOp/BellSat.
I'm not sure how many, I was just asked how many and I thought I'd start researching (for interest's sake).
Personally, I'd like to know what the technical limit is.

#8 ·
All tvs in any wiring/wireless situation will have access to pvr functions. There was also a recent update to the actiontec itself that allows HD to be played at the same time across the max of all 7 tvs.

I believe the vap is able to connect to like 4-5 wifi boxes okay but the policy is a max of 3 right now with any others to be wired.

#10 ·
@macmillan - what "recent update" are you talking about? How recent is "recent"? Seems to me that I haven't gotten any firmware updates for my router in a LONG time (if ever). Or are you referring to an update to the VIP STB? THAT one came down about a month (or so) ago...

#11 ·
@can3gxw

7 HD TV streams to the home are available to Fibre OP customers
PVR recording capacity remains unchanged.
VIP2262 PVRs, 4 HD streams are the maximum recordable
VIP1216 or 1232 PVRs can record 2 SD and 2 HD.
Reminder: The Standard is the PVR is connected via Cat5e only.
Field Standards: No more than 5 STBs to be connected on Coax; follow all Coax standards.
Technicians will not proactively replace VIP1216 or 1232 PVRs when they are next-in (upgrade fee applies).
Important dates:
New customers on or after October 25th will have access to 7 HD streams.
Existing customers will be upgraded remotely by November 30th

#12 ·
OK... thanks for the info - looks like I'm already maxed out.

I've got a 2262 and my system shows this:

Maximum Number of IPTV streams: 0 SD / 7 HD
PVR Recording streams: 0 SD/4HD
Remote Receiver Playback streams: 1 SD / 2 HD

Not that any of that is truly important to me - I've only got one TV (for now, at least) but it's great that BA keeps upgrading and improving. Keep nailing that coffin shut on Big Red.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.