Hitachi & Other Manufacturers Convergence Problems (STK392-110 ICs) Read Post 1 - Page 14 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: Front and Rear Projection Screens and Televisions

Old 2007-04-06, 11:34 PM   #196
sparkyz

Default hitachi 53sdx01b

hitachi 53sdx01b
Don't have the convergence problems but occassionally the tv has mostly red streaks shorting through the picture. If I tap the side of the set they go a way for a while. The convergence board has been replaced by a tech thinking that this was the problem but it made no difference. Hitachi cust service was absolutley no help as the tv is out of warranty.

Does this sound like a bad solder joint?

Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-04-06, 11:37 PM   #197

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Sounds like cracked solder, or some other poor connection that's temporarily solved when you hit the TV.

If you can make it happen repeatedly, then a good technician should be able to track it down by flexing boards, using a special screwdriver/instrument, or wiggling wires or connectors.

As always, be aware of electrocution dangers.
Old 2007-04-11, 11:24 AM   #198
TechiTony

Default Hitachi convergence (LAST TIME)

I have the Hitachi 43uwx10b. As a repair techinican for ten years this convergence issue has me ready to throw it out the window. This will be the third time that I have replaced the STK's with res... Seems to work for a while then they just go out again. I must be missing something very small. I have check this board over and over again. Been throught the schamatics at least a 2 dozen times. Today I have replaced them again along with every resistor in line with the IC's. I am also installing a internal 12v. mini brushless fan to help cool these. If any of you have kids like mine my TV's running around the clock.... If this doesn't work my neighbors will be laughing that I have just thrown a 3000.000 tv off my deck. I must tell you though that this forum is a good one with many talented people. Keep up the good work.
Old 2007-04-23, 10:35 AM   #199
kwiznowz

Smile Here is the manuals!!

I had heck trying to download these manuals for the Hitachi tv, so I posted them when I found them. You can download them FREE here:

http://progressivedatatech.com/hitachi53.html
Old 2007-04-30, 06:41 PM   #200
lcichon

Default Replaced STK's, resistors, but still nothing...

Hey guys, I have a 2003 Hitachi 46F500. I just replaced the convergence chips and key resistors with the kit10 as reccommended on this thread. However, when I turn it on I still get no picture and sound, and a green LED on the middle board flashes. I think it's D940, but it could be D967. One of them is a resistor, one is an LED, it's just hard to tell from the position of the board. Seems like a fuse is blown somewhere. All of the other LED’s work properly including the other green one right next to it and the red one by the power supply. Any ideas? Thanks Lee
Old 2007-05-07, 09:09 PM   #201
murt

Default Replaced STK392s, now can't access convergence adjustment

Hi all,

First, this is a great forum and I appreciate all the help I've gotten from past threads. I've tried to use the search function as much as possible to avoid asking something that has been asked before.

I have a Toshiba 55HX70 that exhibited the same convergence problems everyone else seems to have. I replaced the two STK392-110 ICs over the weekend. The procedure went well, but didn't fix my problem. I now have a slightly more consistant "dogbone" shape and I'm still getting multiple color images. I bought the service manual and set all the defaults, but can't access the convergence menu while in the "S" mode.

Also, in the customer menu, the 9-point convergence allows me to choose a color and allows me to choose one of the 9 positions, but does not display the crosshairs to adjust.

In the service mode, I can use the remote to toggle "RCUT" (1 button), "GCUT" (2 button)...etc, but when I reach the 7 button (which is supposed to be convergence adjustment) no grid appears on the screen. 9 button will bring up the self diagnostic display.

The Self Check display indicates-
BUS CONT: NG QH001
BLOCK: SUB (is red) (MAIN is green)

So...have I fried my new STKs and something else is causing the problem?

QH001 location in the manual is an IC, TC190C060AF-

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe "Murt" Smith
Old 2007-05-07, 11:45 PM   #202

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Did you replace any faulty resistors? Did you check the convergence board to see if it had cracked solder? If not, then the convergence ICs may indeed be blown again, as discussed in post 1 of this thread.
Old 2007-05-09, 03:12 PM   #203
schmidt311

Default 53udx10ba

Hello everybody,
Can anyone tell me which resistors go where on the board? I just received my kit of IC's and resistors, just need to know some locations.

Thanks.
Old 2007-05-11, 03:10 PM   #204
schmidt311

Talking watch out for cheap ICs

Hi guys,
I just got my 53 Hitachi up and running. Instead of risking the chance of a bad soldering job, I took my resistors and ICs to a repair shop and spent $50 well-spent dollars to have it done right. Just to let you know, the repairman told me that the ICs sold at B&D, as well as all the other sites that sell them, are knock offs, and consequently do not last as long. They run too hot, then burn out. He said the true ICs should run you about $100 for both, so save yourself the trouble and get the good ones. I'm not gonna hold my breath on how long these last, but instead saving up for an LCD.

BTW, Costco sells electronics, and for as long as you have them, (i.e., TV or stereo) if they go out for any reason, you can return it for the full amount. Worth the $50 membership fee.

Have a good one.
Old 2007-05-13, 09:12 AM   #205
murt

Default Can't adjust convergence

Toshiba 55HX70:
I took 57's advice and checked all the resistors in the convergence board. I metered each one and didn't find a bad one, but replaced them anyway as well as another set of STK392-110s. I've checked and re-checked all the solder joints on the board and all looks fine.

The picture is better, but the convergence is out and (according to the manual), pressing #7 in service mode should bring up a convergence grid to adjust. Although all other adjustments work in the service mode, the convergence adjustment does not.

The self diagnosis is telling me I've got a "cont" problem with chip QH001, which is located on the digital convergence board. I took that board off and all connections look good.

Any advice on where to look next? Is there another way to adjust convergence? The new STKs have made a change for the better, if only I could adjust the convergence...

Murt
Old 2007-05-13, 02:14 PM   #206
kozlo1bull

Default Hitachi Rear Projection Convergence?

The picture bows in toward the middle of the screen on the right and left side. When I run Magic Focus at the end of the run I get the number 3 which I assume is some sort of code. What does it mean and what does it take to fix it? Thanks.
Old 2007-05-13, 02:17 PM   #207

kozlo1bull, please start by reading post 1 of this thread.
Old 2007-05-13, 02:27 PM   #208
kozlo1bull

Default Hitachi Rear Projection Convergence?

Noted, Thanks.
Old 2007-05-23, 06:28 PM   #209

Thank you for all of the great information. I repaired my Toshiba 40H80 using some new -150s to replace the -110's.

Bought some 1W1.2's, but it looks like the folks at Toshiba decided that the wattage was the problem and increased it to 5?

Anyhow, the TV is working fine, and I saved ~$1K USD!

She said it had to be fixed or replaced!!!

Steve

Old 2007-05-31, 11:39 AM   #210
toddrun

Default Hitachi 43" Wide Screen convergence problem

I have a Hitachi 43" wide screen projection convergence problem. I read through all the posts, purchased my parts and replaced them and I still have the same problem.

The TV works great for up to 20 minutes, then all three colors jump out of convergence, then back in and out, in and out, sometimes goes away completely and sometimes stays messed up completely.

Is this a cold solder joint issue on the convergence board? Do I just hit each solder joint on the board to try to fix this problem?

Local repair shop said they could fix it for $250 minimum charge.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Todd