Old CBC HD (Official thread) 2005 to May 2006. - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Television?

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-19, 01:46 AM   #826
Neild
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave
The wide screen productions from Edmonton are fantastic. I am satisfied that at least 1/2 of the series is in HD.
The broadcasts from Edmonton have had horrible picture. Quality control has been dismal too, with seemingly no one even noticing they dropped lower than normal low-def for 2/3rds of the last game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-05-19, 01:51 AM   #827

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neild
Quality control has been dismal too, with seemingly no one even noticing they dropped lower than normal low-def for 2/3rds of the last game.
Please see the following post for the explanation. They noticed the broken part and found a workaround as soon as they could.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/s...&postcount=816

I watched a few minutes of the third period and found nothing wrong with the WS PQ. For WS it was excellent at my end, very similar to WS on PBS.

Unfounded negative remarks, especially regarding HD hockey, which has its own thread, will be deleted from this thread. Some already have.
Old 2006-05-19, 02:20 AM   #828
Neild
Veteran

I'm keeping this civil as requested, but civil does not mean we have to be praising CBC either.

Bottom line is the CBC-HD channel has almost nothing on air that is actually HD.
Old 2006-05-19, 06:58 AM   #829
Bruno Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisUp2late
I'm confused... the CBC HD truck is going to Anaheim rather than Edmonton?
Yes, it was already there. It guess it was ready for a game 7 between Edm. and SJ. Now, it will produce the first two games.
Old 2006-05-19, 09:26 AM   #830
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddwarf
There's a "Ask me anything..." thread over on RFD by a CBC cameraman based in Edmonton. Someone asked about the recently released Edmonton vs Anaheim schedule: why are the Anaheim games in HD and the Edmonton ones not?
Thanks reddwarf for that link! It was very interesting. One thing he said that would help answer the question about why CBC owns its own truck(s) and doesn't rent them was:

Quote:
At this point it's a matter of baseball going full bore and basketball playoffs. You can't rent a truck anywhere close......
From this I would take it that if CBC didn't own their own truck, even fewer games would be in HD.
Old 2006-05-19, 09:37 AM   #831
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Bottom line is the CBC-HD channel has almost nothing on air that is actually HD.
How much is on the other Canadian networks that is HD and produced by the network? The CBC doesn't just buy content from other networks, unlike Global, CTV, etc., so they have to produce their own HD content.

Judged by this metric I would say that CBC has produced far more hours of HD content than any other Canadian network, even if that is only HNIC.
Old 2006-05-19, 10:03 AM   #832
nfitz
Veteran

Quote:
Bottom line is there is nothing worth watching on CBC at all in prime time lately, unless you are some kind of crazed hockey fan!

Isn't there as separate thread for HD hockey? I'm tired of seeing the incessent whining in this thread (and my gosh, how hockey fans can whine ... it's worse than the Coronation Street fans ... who I should think would be mighy annoyed by now). Particularly annoying for those of use who don't give a flying puck about the sport.

Besides, if this isn't even being broadcast in HD, perhaps the discussion should in a completely different forum.

Nick - whose waiting for CBC to broadcast the Expos in HD
Old 2006-05-19, 10:37 AM   #833

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfitz
Bottom line is there is nothing worth watching on CBC at all in prime time lately, unless you are some kind of crazed hockey fan!
Agreed mostly, but that's a major market currently and is no different from previous years, only in previous years the games on CBC were neither WS or HD. Last night there was a good documentary on the Sugar industry in WS.

Hockey posts have been deleted from this thread. Also, this rambling thread is now closed do to its length. We will start another Official CBC-HD thread.