Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Unavailable in Canada

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Actually, as most tech savvy people in this forum, I am aware and I do use services such as "unblockus". It's still a additional premium to enjoy content that should be freely available to all. Just as Amazon.ca is merely a shadow of Amazon.com, so too is Netflix.ca to Netflix.com.

#4 ·
An interesting story found on MSN Canada, about how we miss out on content because of (CANCON, CRTC, Duties & Taxes, etc).

I guess we're no better than other countries that censor what's "suitable" for their citizens. I'd like this to be an election issue.
Complain to private industry, not the government. Most of the unavailable services have nothing to do with what you listed. They have to do with different corporations holding the Canadian broadcast rights.

#5 ·
The problem isn't CANCON or the CRTC. The U.S. services have to pay for the copyright for the content in each country where they offer the service. Some of them like Amazon don't bother with any other country outside the U.S.

Some like Netflix buy some copyright licenses for Canada (and a handful of other countries). I recall there were situations where Netflix was able to buy the the streaming rights for some programs in Canada, but weren't able to work out a deal for their American subscribers.

Hulu is owned by the American networks who only buy the U.S. rights (broadcast and streaming). Canadian networks usually buy the Canadian broadcast and streaming rights for Canada, so if you want to legally watch that content in Canada, you'll have to watch through the Canadian websites or apps.

#8 ·
Canadian protectionism does play a part in TV and radio. It allows Canadian broadcasters to restrict what is shown in Canada and when. For a market driven model, look no further than movie theaters and DVDs. Apart from a few, less popular or independent movies and special previews, they are typically available as easily in Canada as in the US.

Copyright holders do play the bulk of the role in restricting what is available in Canada. Canadian music companies do not license streaming rights as often as US and European companies. The same goes for movies and TV shows. Canadian companies, such as Rogers, Bell and Shaw, have a stranglehold on popular TV and movie rights in Canada and use it to enforce their business model on the Canadian market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.