Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix Price Increase for NEW Customers

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  otown47 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I think it's reasonable, but they got to be careful not to price it too high for the "just cause it's so cheap subscribers", I know a few and I'm sure there are a lot more
Seems like Shaw raises it's rates $1-2 a month, I'm ok with the first price increase since I got Neflix

#8 ·
I think they key point is that, as sure as the sun rising tomorrow, cable companies are going to be raising their rates more than $1-2 over the next 1-2 years.

If there weren't the regular annual or (in some cases) semi-annual increase in cable TV prices it would be quite different from what we've seen in the past. I don't have the actual stats handy, but I'd suspect that on average a cable TV subscriber has seen an increase of perhaps $20/month in the last 5 years.

#9 ·
I have no issue with such a minute price increase. Netflix is pretty good value at $8 per month and still good value at a few dollars more. I no longer have a cable subscription, as Netflix, OTA channels, the public library and other online sources provide enough content for me. Paying Rogers $40+ for a basic digital cable subscription that offered very little to watch for the majority of the day wasn't worth it for anymore. Netflix, on the other hand, has enough content to keep me going for a while. Sure, they still have a long way to go in terms of content yet but still plenty for my enjoyment.

#11 ·
Even when they first entered Canada a few years ago, they hinted that their low price would eventually increase, so this is to be expected. I'm okay with it, especially since their offering has greatly expanded since they started. In the beginning it was a lot of older movies, and none of the big blockbusters. Now we get some of the newest movies, they have entire TV series available that would cost $50+ on their own, and they are even producing some original content, all commercial free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.