Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell Fibe PVR or STB is slow

17K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  nitra 
#1 ·
Has anyone had this problem when using the bell fibe remote on the pvr , that the response to skip ahead 30 seconds or back 7 seconds on recordings or paused live tv is annoyingly slow now. Bell tech say to just unplug the modem and plug back in 10 seconds, but this has not solved the 2 second delay. Anyone had this problem and found the fix. I even powered down the pvr and restarted it with no change. I assume the delays are due to software or firmware changes.

#2 ·
I've noticed the same problem over the last week or so. It's extremely annoying! I don't use the Bell remote, but a Harmony remote and its the same issues, the PVR seems to have slowed down with reacting to commands. It's also the same when I hit the Guide button, it takes some time to come up, scrolling up or down in the guide is slow, jumping to channels in the guide is slow, changing channels is slow etc... I was going to call today, but not sure they will be able to help.

#4 ·
Just press and hold power until all the lights in the middle light up and wait for it to reboot or pull the power plug out for 10 seconds and replace it. If you press the other button and its your PVR you may erase your recordings by mistake. Just rebooting worked for about a month for me then I rebooted again thereafter. I do this with my windows computers too.

#5 ·
If you press the other button and its your PVR you may erase your recordings by mistake.
Hi:
Can you tell me a little more about this. I had a situation a couple of weeks ago where all the recordings on my PVR vanished. I also did reboot by holding the the middle and power buttons. Perhaps that was my problem. Didn't know it was possible to delete everything this way !

#6 ·
When you press both buttons you are resetting the box to factory default. This is okay unless its the DVR.

If you want to reset the DVR you have to unplug and plug the box four times. Unplug the power, replug wait for the box to start booting up, unplug and repeat three times on the fourth you should see gears as it resets the software on the box without erasing the recordings. You are basically corrupting the boot sequence to fool the box into a reset.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. It was the DVR that I reset by the two-button technique !
Wow ... certainly didn't realize it would do a full factory reset and wipe out my hours and hours of recordings .... which it did. Thought I was just resetting to get rid of some of the lag in remote responses.
Will be a lot more careful next time.
Sincere thanks for the heads up !

#8 ·
This is very much false information.

Holding both buttons will NOT erase anything.

Pure FUD.

Holding both buttons does 2 things, first, it triggers a reboot of the box, and it reloads the last update.
It does not in any way touch any recordings or scheduled recordings on the box.

I've used this method dozens of times, my PVR, my clients PVR's, I've never seen it erase anything.
I have seen the box outright fail after this method, but the hard drive was nearly dead, and the reload killed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.