5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  notsure 
#1 ·
I have HP laptop whitch was purchased at COSTCO @ 19 m's ago,
the battery is lately fading after @ 2 hrs of use unplugged, is this
normal? I conntacted the retailer @ this and was told that is normal
and nothig wrong eith it.
Richard

#3 ·
I have HP laptop whitch was purchased at COSTCO @ 19 m's ago, the battery is lately fading after @ 2 hrs of use unplugged, is this normal?
It is for my wife's current laptop (a Samsung w/ W7) and it was for her previous one (an HP w/ XP), too. And she's been very careful to follow all of the battery-life-maximizing procedures recommended by the manufacturers.

#5 ·
How long did it last when you 1st got it?

2 hours is about the going rate for laptops.
If it lasted 10 minutes there would be an issue but if its only drooped a little bit that be about normal

You can turn power saving to the max and may be able to extend that time.

If a laptop is hot it will have to turn fans on more often to cool down using battery. Also any accessories plugged in will use extra power.

I would also make sure you have the latest drivers and firmware installed

#8 ·
Battery:Battery Information
Battery ID 7302SANYOAP13B3K
Manufacturer SANYO
Serial Number 7302
Chemistry LION
Long Term 1
Sealed 0
Design Capacity 53400
Last Full Charge 52965

just a sample of the data i got.. the capacity vs last charge is a important bit of info. Tells u if your getting what you should.. you will never get design capacity but usually close

#11 ·
I've had laptop batteries die in a year, so 2 hours at 19 months isn't bad,

I have a windows 8 hp envy with an i7, battery lasts so long I couldn't even tell you the run time, over 4 hours for sure doing basic web browsing without touching the brightness

I have an hp at work running windows 7 and an i5, lucky if I get 2 hours, maybe a bit more with the screen turned down, but I also run pretty heavy diagnostic software

#13 ·
I could never put up with 2 hours of battery life...there's no point.

Get an Ultrabook (Dell, ASUS etc) and the battery life routinely lasts 10 hours.

It does cost more initially...but the fact that you can actually count on your laptop...makes it worth the extra money.

#14 ·
I'm curious myself, cause I've never had great battery life by the sounds of thins on any of my laptops. I have one that lasts about 30 seconds if it gets unplugged, obviously needs a new battery .

When people say 8 hours, they mean like 8 hours of continuous use? Surfing the net of Wifi, running programs, listening to music etc. Or are we talking rest, or stand by or a combination of the 2?

My work laptop, is literally good for a couple hours, straight use, running pretty heavy software, wireless internet etc. It's also a referb, so who knows how old and how much abuse it went through when I got it, might have even been straight up used, was originally windows 8 though.

My personal laptop, I've never run into a point where I've needed to charge it, But I don't often use it for hours on end, not near its charger. I have left it in another room for days without plugging it in, but it goes to sleep and the battery lasts forever once its in sleep mode.

My question is, How long should an average laptop battery last surfing the net and listening to music?

#15 ·
I would say that the average life span of a battery with the Intel Haswell Ultrabooks these days would be about 5-6 hours.

If you go with the Intel Ivy/Sandy Bridge Ultrabooks, expect 4-5 hours.

However, if you spend the extra money to buy a MacBook Air, expect about 10 hours.

It all depends on what is important to you and what your budget is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.