Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Need help with Commerical Grade Camera System

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  aartech 
#1 ·
Our work here has currently asked us to look into a camera system here for at work.

It is a FACTORY setting, with attached office.

There would be a good likely 1/2 the cameras being mounted OUTDOORS, the rest internal, more at the door areas.

Distance wise.. it could be a good 700 ft at least to the farthest camera.. so would need something with decent distance capable.

Would prefer WIRED over wireless cameras.

Would like a central 'box' for the main camera handling/recording, but with capabilities of it connecting to a PC for retrieval, viewing, etc. Phone access would be a bonus.

Any input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Anything commercial will be wired unless you have a specific requirement for wireless. I used Pelco equipment in the past back in the analog days (VHS tapes and near the end hard drives) with multiplexers and quads, I'm sure things have changed quite a bit 10 years later. I believe now you can simply purchase a DVR and connect many cameras, with the options you need.

I suggest you contact a local reseller as they will also provide maintenance and support (at a cost, of course!).

700 ft is more than two football fields, this is very far. Depending on what you are looking for, you will probably want more cameras. You cannot see a license plate or recognize a face after 300-400 ft. with most cameras. For zooming, you will need a PZT (Point-Zoom-Tilt) camera and the associated equipment.

#3 ·
You have 3 main options for cameras these days.

1) Analog CCTV cameras. These will be rated as high as 700-800 lines of resolution, but recorders tend to max out at D1 which is 480 lines. So this is basic quality, like SD television. Just OK. Runs on coax cable primarily (siamese), or CAT5 with 'baluns'. Runs can be long enough to suit your needs

2) IP cameras. These are network based, hence the name IP, and tend to be 'megapixel' so they get up to 1080P at least, or better depending on the camera and budget. These run on a network - using CAT5 or CAT6 cable and switches. You are limited by network distances, 100 meters maximum per segment. You can extend this with the right architecture.. hire a pro for sure on this one! The end result can be stunning.

3) HDCVI or HDSDI which is quite new. This is up to 2 megapixel (1080p) on coax cable. With HDCVI which is newest, you can get 1080P on coax up to 1500 feet roughly. You will run this on coax (siamese).

So part of the question is going to be, are you planning to do this yourself and are you capable (honestly). If not, or you think it will take you too long to figure out on your own, hire a pro. (We can try to help find you one that we deal with, or find one locally).

If you plan to do it yourself, plan to spend some time researching, asking questions, and laying things out yourself - where do you want the cameras, what area does each one need to cover. What lighting is there. Are they looking out at a bright light. Do you need night vision?

Then at least you'll be ready to take the next step. I hope this gives you some ideas at least.

As a previous poster mentioned, you can run 700 feet of cable (option 1 or 3), but you want a camera taking in maybe 30 or 40 feet across max unless you have a very high resolution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.