Manufacture Dates- Noisy HLP Series - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: Front and Rear Projection Screens and Televisions

Old 2005-02-09, 10:25 AM   #46
WpgDan

ya I am hoping to Get all the Problems all hopefully fixed with in the year as well, and hope nothing goes wrong after the year, I work for a big box store as computer Tech and So got the TV at Staff Discount and Samsung had the best Price and its a great looking TV but as you said the quality may not be top notch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-02-10, 09:25 AM   #47
G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgDan
ya I am hoping to Get all the Problems all hopefully fixed with in the year as well, and hope nothing goes wrong after the year, I work for a big box store as computer Tech and So got the TV at Staff Discount and Samsung had the best Price and its a great looking TV but as you said the quality may not be top notch.
I wonder if the quality problems only seem more common because Samsung sells so many units compared to other manufacturers? Then again, of the 3 4663 i have had, all 3 have had problems. I won't be surprised if the 4th has problems too.
Old 2005-02-10, 07:45 PM   #48
WpgDan

Well my repair guy called today and told me that He replaced the color wheel on a TV the same model and same chassis as mine and figured that it is the ballast that is making the noise because the noise did not go away after replacing the color wheel. so he is going to bring a new ballast and color wheel, he also says the new color wheels there getting the rpm of the color wheel are a lot slower then the Original color wheel, and that is why it is not as loud. Anybody read any of this info in any other thread?

Will keep ya updated
Old 2005-02-11, 10:00 AM   #49
G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgDan
Well my repair guy called today and told me that He replaced the color wheel on a TV the same model and same chassis as mine and figured that it is the ballast that is making the noise because the noise did not go away after replacing the color wheel. so he is going to bring a new ballast and color wheel, he also says the new color wheels there getting the rpm of the color wheel are a lot slower then the Original color wheel, and that is why it is not as loud. Anybody read any of this info in any other thread?

Will keep ya updated

Slower speed colour wheels? Interesting. Do you see rainbows on your set? I wouldn't be surprised if you see more of them on a slower spinning colour wheel.

This is what I know about Samsung colour wheels:
The 63 series has 7 segment Colur Wheels.
These are 2 RGB units (3 segments each) + 1 dark green unit= 7.
These spin at 10000+ RPM.

The 4674 uses a 6 segment colour wheel.
I'm not positive, but it probably has 2 RGB and no Dark Green.
This spins at 9000+ RPM

I wonder if they used a 6 segment colour wheel in your set?
Old 2005-02-11, 10:34 AM   #50
WpgDan

well my set has not been replaced as of yet, Monday morning is the day they are coming, the repairman just called me to say he was at a house yesterday with the exact same model and noise complaint and the color wheel did not fix the problem so they replaced the ballast and put in a color wheel that was much larger in size but the spec's say it was lower rpm's, wow so much hassle I just want my TV to work and with out the noise
Old 2005-02-11, 12:33 PM   #51
Bruce Fan

Location: Richmond Hill, ON -- Samsung UN55C6300, Samsung HLP4663W, BellTV 9241 x2, JVC RX8000V, LG BD555C

VERY INTERESTING!

I am waiting for a call from Geralyn Electronics who is ordering me a new colour wheel. Once it comes in (expected on Monday) he'll be coming over to install it. I'll be sure to find out what type he puts in.

It better not be a slower one because I do see rainbows. Other than very rare shots I only see them now when I look away from the set. If this increases my rainbow sightings I'm going to be very very pissed.
Old 2005-02-11, 02:12 PM   #52
G30

Bruce,

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1747603,00.asp
discusses different colour wheels, their speeds and the rainbow effect.
Old 2005-02-14, 11:27 AM   #53
WpgDan

Why is it that The Tech's donít read up and do there homework before coming out to Repair, I already waited a week for the Guy to come out. He shows up with no parts, kind of confused by that as it is, he then turns on the unit and ask's me to tell him when the noise is there ? I tell him it can get worse at times, He tells me that is normal that there are fan's and such inside, I tell him that I have read many forums and there is a known issue with the color wheel's he says oh is there I donít think so since Samsung have never communicated this with them. Then I ask were is the color wheel that you said you ordered for me?
He says he ordered the wrong one, he ordered the one from the service manual but the new color wheel is not in the service manual.

This leads to a very frustrated me.
Old 2005-02-14, 12:23 PM   #54
G30

WpgDan-

That is brutal. I can't understand how these guys can get away with it. If the colour wheel in the service manual has been replaced with another part, does that not tell you that something is up with the original part? Instead, he feeds you the line that there is no problem with the colour wheel, and that the noise is normal. Sheesh!

My brother-in-law just got his colour wheel changed in his October 2004 set. He said that the new colour wheel the technician installed looked alot different than the original one. He also said that it made a huge difference, and that the TV makes almost no noise now.

Keep on them Dan.
Old 2005-02-14, 05:05 PM   #55
WpgDan

Well they wont have the part Till at least wed But Dont have a free date till Saturday to come out, To me that is very bad service, and Then don't work past 5 So anybody that work's Day's like me has to take a Vacation day to get there tv fixed,

No fun
Old 2005-02-15, 04:48 PM   #56
Bruce Fan

Location: Richmond Hill, ON -- Samsung UN55C6300, Samsung HLP4663W, BellTV 9241 x2, JVC RX8000V, LG BD555C

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

I just had my service call from Geralyn Electronics here in Richmond Hill and he replace my fdb colour wheel (confirmed that's what it said) with an air bearing colour wheel - part #BP96-00674A It didn't say air bearing but when he put it in the colours were all screwed up. I mentioned to him that there is a sticker on the assembly that looks like a jumper is different between the fdb and air. He found the jumper and removed it. Tada....perfect picture....

And guess what....no more annoying whine!

However.....(there is always a but)....I now notice a small smudge about a third the way down from the top just off to the right of centre. I never saw that before. He said it could be condensation and it will go away...but we'll see.

I wonder what the jumper does. Maybe it changes the speed of the wheel. Perhaps my rainbows will go away if it's faster. To be continued....

Thanks for all the help and guidance guys!
Old 2005-02-15, 07:57 PM   #57
WpgDan

Thatís good to hear that the whine is gone, I will hopefully find out Saturday since my part that he ordered as a rush for Monday still has not arrived

Keep me updated Bruce.
Old 2005-02-15, 10:34 PM   #58
nosepa

Default Hlp5063w

I have an hlp5063w that I purchased back in October. It started making the same noise that you guys described (the humming whining sound). I called up Samsung and they sent over a tech person to fix it. They replaced the color wheel because that's what they told me it was. But instead of fixing the problem it created another one. The colors were off so they sent the same tech over. The guy kept insisting that there was nothing wrong with the colors and left it like that. He told that to call again if I wasnít satisfied with the colors, so I did. They send the same tech person and he guttered out the TV, left the shell and replace everything but the speakers. It is practically a new TV. After he replaced everything he then realized that the color was really off. He kept apologizing to me and said that that was the first time he ever had a problem with the colors. Now the noise is back. And it is driving me crazy. My HLP5063W was also manufactured in Mexico 9/2004Ö. After reading this forumÖ I am going to call them up again. This will be their 4th visit to my house. Oh and incidentally I live in West Orange, NJ. Should I ask them to completely replace my TV?

NoSePa
Old 2005-02-16, 08:22 AM   #59
WpgDan

I found something again that is kind of confusing, the Pn that you got replaced with says no longer Avail on Samsung parts website? Wonder why that is strange,

I just had my service call from Geralyn Electronics here in Richmond Hill and he replace my fdb colour wheel (confirmed that's what it said) with an air bearing colour wheel - part #BP96-00674A It didn't say air bearing but when he put it in the colours were all screwed up. I mentioned to him that there is a sticker on the assembly that looks like a jumper is different between the fdb and air. He found the jumper and removed it. Tada....perfect picture....

And guess what....no more annoying whine!

However.....(there is always a but)....I now notice a small smudge about a third the way down from the top just off to the right of centre. I never saw that before. He said it could be condensation and it will go away...but we'll see.

I wonder what the jumper does. Maybe it changes the speed of the wheel. Perhaps my rainbows will go away if it's faster. To be continued....

Thanks for all the help and guidance guys![/QUOTE]
Old 2005-02-16, 09:16 AM   #60
Bruce Fan

Dan - you're right. I did that search too and saw it wasn't available. Odd.

I did find something on a site (sorry I don't remember which) and someone said a month ago that the old colour wheel was no longer available and a new one (the one I got) was now listed but unavailable.

I dunno...but it works and is quiet!

Now...if I could only solve this smudge.