Best non-monster HDMI cable - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Where Can I buy and general buying discussions

Old 2008-10-20, 04:37 PM   #91
REFLEX

1.3b is definitely over kill, 1.3b is for testing, not for consumer use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-11-30, 02:03 AM   #92
surfman
Rookie

Thumbs up The Best non-Monster HDMI cable on the market place

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorais View Post
I need a good HDMI cable about 8' long....I was in best buy and the only one they have is one from Monster for about $250....and not nearly 8' long.

$250 is just downright stupid for a cable....what's a good alternative for a reasonable price?
I have recently use this HDMI 9000 series 25ft cable as a birthday gift from my friend who work for professional audio video shop in downtown to hook up my Sony Playstation 3 to my new 52" Sony BRAVIA« XBR« LCD Flat Panel HDTV ( Model Number: KDL-52XBR7 ), I was impress the quality by this HDMI 9000 series 25ft cable. I have compare the Monster Cable ( M1000 HDMI Cable in 25ft ) which I was using it before on my the same setup. The color from from my tv is now much sharper and better in vidid color than before by using this 25ft HDMI 9000 series cable.
Old 2008-11-30, 02:10 AM   #93
surfman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoon68 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for 40 meter or 50 meter ( 135ft or 165ft ) HDMI cable can support 1080P signal. Can anyone tell me where can I buy this long HDMI cable? I have been search around but I can't find any store include Monster cable and Ultra Link cable. I have write several email to both Monster cable and Ultra Link cable, but I don't have any luck. Help Help Help!!!
Hi Jasoon68, I have the HDMI 9000 series cable on Google, and it support from 4ft all the way to 200ft length for HDMI cable, and they are several places where you can buy it both online and locally.
Old 2008-12-16, 02:22 PM   #94
sharkwl

Thumbs down Cheap HDMI Cables in Canada

Following the advice of others on this site I purchased an 8 ft. premium HDMI cable (HDMI-AA1S-06) last week from Infinite Cables in Ontario, Canada.. For less than $15.00 I thought 'what a deal, eh.' Well, I got it the next day, plugged it in, and it doesn't even work! How's that for 'you get what you pay for.' My first cable from these guys and also my last! Their e-mail response was "this was a once in a blue moon occurrence but with 'a return rate of 1 per 1000 cables'!! Not too impressive! So buyer beware! I think I'll stick with my Monster cables from now on!!
Old 2008-12-16, 02:33 PM   #95
eljay
DHC Supporter

Quote:
... I purchased an 8 ft. premium HDMI cable (HDMI-AA1S-06) last week from Infinite Cables ... For less than $15.00 I thought 'what a deal, eh.' Well, I got it the next day, plugged it in, and it doesn't even work! How's that for 'you get what you pay for.'
Hmmm...I don't understand why you're surprised, and I don't see how this is justification for overpaying for Monster cable. Out of curiosity, I searched the "Cables, Power Bars, Surge Suppressors and Switches" forum for "infinite" and found only one post (vs. numerous posts for Blue Jeans Cable and Monoprice, among others). May I ask: What made you decide to go with Infinite Cables rather than one of the other well-regarded distributors?
Old 2008-12-17, 07:57 AM   #96
shabbs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
May I ask: What made you decide to go with Infinite Cables rather than one of the other well-regarded distributors?
That is a good question. monoprice is by far the most recommended place by members here on this site. I switched to using monoprice for all my cables based on this site and have been very pleased with their HDMI cables and service to this point.
Old 2008-12-17, 09:43 AM   #97
Alan Toronto

Location: Toronto, Rogers, SA8300HD + 640GB external drive. Samsung LCD LN40A750 1080p 120Hz. Blu-Ray BD-P1500

"Cheap" is not the same as "inexpensive". Monoprice cables are inexpensive. You may have bought a cheap cable.
Old 2008-12-17, 04:55 PM   #98
sharkwl

Thumbs down Infinite Cable purchase

Quote: Hmmm...I don't understand why you're surprised, and I don't see how this is justification for overpaying for Monster cable. Out of curiosity, I searched the "Cables, Power Bars, Surge Suppressors and Switches" forum for "infinite" and found only one post (vs. numerous posts for Blue Jeans Cable and Monoprice, among others). May I ask: What made you decide to go with Infinite Cables rather than one of the other well-regarded distributors?

Well, Eljay, I have seen many posts for monoprice cables but I assumed it was American and I thought I would support a Canadian store. Since then, I have purchased 3 brand new Monster M1000 HDMI cables on e-bay for $40.00 each. This is an awesome price for an awesome cable and they are warrantied for life! I am a happy camper now and believe you really do 'get what you pay for.' As a side note: Infinite Cables did allow me to return the cable - collect - and refunded me every cent including the overnight shipping after finding it defective. I still will never buy or recommend buying a cable from this company again though! Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 2008-12-17, 05:04 PM   #99
Alan Toronto

Location: Toronto, Rogers, SA8300HD + 640GB external drive. Samsung LCD LN40A750 1080p 120Hz. Blu-Ray BD-P1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkwl
I have purchased 3 brand new Monster M1000 HDMI cables on e-bay for $40.00 each. This is an awesome price for an awesome cable
While that is much less than what overpriced Monster cables usually cost, I wouldn't call it an "awesome price" because you would get the same result and performance with a Monoprice cable for 1/10 of that price. Monoprice cables are excellent quality, very robustly built.
Old 2008-12-21, 11:34 AM   #100
rickski
Rookie

Default Canadian - Mono ?

Is monoprice Canadian or do they ship out of the US with all the duty customs issues?
Old 2008-12-21, 11:44 AM   #101
Alan Toronto

Quote:
do they ship out of the US with all the duty customs issues?
No issues. If your order is less than $25, you pay no duty or broker fees. At their prices, you can get several HDMI cables for under $25. With a larger order, even if you did pay duty, it wouldn't be huge and you'd still save money versue buying overpriced cables at local electronics retailers.
Old 2008-12-23, 01:59 PM   #102
Claw

Picked up a "For the PS3" HDMI cable from Walmart.

I used it to hooked up my PS3 to my Samsung 55" LCD.

And when I went to configure the PS3 HDMI output, it refused to output at 1080p, only going to 720p.

Does this indicate a bad cable? I don't have the packaging so I don't think I can return it..
Old 2008-12-23, 02:58 PM   #103
Geoff

Claw,
I see no HDMI output selection in the PS3.
What makes you think it's not outputing at 1080p?

Is your TV 1080p display , not just recieve?
Old 2008-12-24, 12:40 PM   #104
Claw

Hi Geoff,

According to another site , I'm attempting to connect my PS3 to my system using "Case 5" here:

Case 5: PS3 connected to a recent vintage HDTV with HDMI and connected to an older AVR via optical digital audio cable (i.e., Toslink).

In this case you should use an HDMI cable to connect from the HDMI output on your PS3 directly an available HDMI input on your HDTV. Then use an optical digital cable (i.e., Toslink) to connected the PS3 digital audio output to an available optical digital input on your AVR. Your AVR will receive the digital audio data (with the PS3 set to provide bitstream output via it optical digital audio output) from the PS3 via the optical cable. The AVR will decode/process it then output the audio to the connected speakers. The HD video will be sent directly to your HDTV via the HDMI connection. Note that optical digital is limited to only carrying the basic Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound formats (essentially as provided with DVD players but in some cases with BD's you will get somewhat higher bit rates) and cannot carry the highest fidelity surround sound formats supported on some Blu-ray Discs. This is a limitation of having an AVR that does not support HDMI inputs, but in this case the PS3 can be configured to still be compatible with your existing equipment.

Suggested PS3 Audio and Video additional Settings for Case 5 (starting from XMB and Settings drop down menu):
XMB >>> Settings >>> Display Settings >>> Video Output Settings = HDMI >>> Setting Method=AUTOMATIC
XMB >>> Settings >>> Video Settings* >>> BD/DVD Auto Output Format (Optical Digital)=BITSTREAM
XMB >>> Settings >>> Sound Settings >>> Audio Output Settings >>> Select the connector..= DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL)
* "Video Settings" was called "BD/DVD Settings" with PS3 firmware prior to version 2.50

That's the HDMI output selection. When I go to test it, it's not displaying the 1080p option. The 720p is there, along with 1080i.

However, if I use my component cables (the PS3), it gives me the 1080p option.

The TV is a Samsung LN55A950, which should be 1080p.

Send me a PM - don't want to derail this too much.
Old 2008-12-26, 12:45 PM   #105
robert2
Rookie

I always purchase, Startech cables, for computers and HDMI, the HDMI
cable i purchased, is very well shielded, thick rubber insulation, etc...
and i paid $20.00 CND for a 15 feet cable, and it never caused, even
a single glitch of any kind.