Hitron CGN3 cable modem issues - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2013-10-02, 09:36 AM   #1
rfielder
Veteran

Default Hitron CGN3 cable modem issues

Last Friday, I picked up a Hitron CGN3 cable modem from Rogers, and upgraded my internet account to Unlimited Ultimate.

At first, this modem was much slower. That seems to have picked up - perhaps some configuration was needed by Rogers? Speedtest.net now shows me getting over 180Mbps at times down, 10Mbps up.

Over the weekend, I put the Hitron into bridge mode, and configured my D-Link DIR-655 to act as router. That works well, and Windows Home Server V1 is able to talk to it and configure it. Remote access works.

However, I am finding that my internet access gets wonky once or twice a day. The resolution is to cycle the power on the Hitron modem. No changes to anything else, and after the Hitron comes back up, everything is back to normal.

The annoying part is that the DIR-655 seems to lose some part of it's setup that allows remote access to WHS when this happens. Every time I cycle the power on the Hitron, I have to get WHS to "repair" it's remove access.

Anyone else encounter this issue? Are there known issues with the Hitron CBN3 modems?
rfielder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2013-10-02, 11:45 PM   #2
yyzlhr

The Hitron just seems to be universally a POS. Even in bridge mode, it's performance has been questionable. If you're simply just putting it in bridge mode, I recommend trying the Cisco DPC 3825.
yyzlhr is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-10-03, 11:35 AM   #3
rfielder
Veteran

How does one get the Cisco box? Is this available from Rogers?

If not, how do I get Rogers to recognize it?

As for the Hitron, except for needed resets it is now working very well. Speedtest is showing peaks close to 190Mbs at times. When it is working, it seems to be everything I could wish for.
Old 2013-10-03, 03:45 PM   #4
gdkitty

While not advertised, the Cisco is usually still around/available as a gateway.

I think though, currently to be get the ultimate tier internet that you have, you need to have one of the two hitron units. They cant provision those speeds properly on the others like the cisco.

The cisco only has 4/4 downstream/upstream channels if my memory serves me correctly..
The older hitron was 8/4, and the NEW hitron is 24/8 if I am correct.
Old 2013-10-03, 03:48 PM   #5
yyzlhr

That is not correct. The Cisco can be provisioned with any tier and has 8 downstream channels. The newest Hitron also only has 16 downstream channels as well.
Old 2013-10-03, 04:52 PM   #6
gdkitty

My info may be a little older.. but per the OLD site (Before the current listings for internet).

When looking at what hardware for each package.. the cisco was not listed for ultimate (it was for the 75 ultimate, before they moved it to 150).
There were people I had discussed with at the time, who tried to get on the ultimate, and were forced into the hitron.
I could be wrong about it though.

You are right though, its 8/4 for the cisco (was just going off the top of my head.. must be the old smc which was 4/4)

The NEWEST hitron, the CGN3, is 24/8
http://www.hitron-americas.com/asset...datasheet1.pdf
Old 2013-10-03, 06:06 PM   #7
yyzlhr

They were only forced onto the Hitrons because reps were unaware that the Cisco had to be issued under a different product code. There is now a common product code in the system for both the Hitron and the Cisco to avoid confusion.

Also the newest Hitron from Rogers is not 24/8. The one Rogers carries is a custom model that only has 16 channels.
Old 2013-10-03, 08:57 PM   #8
gdkitty

I was unaware of that change with the Cisco.
Thank you for the information yyzlhr!

Hopefully the 16 on the Hitron is only due to the Rogers crappy firmware, and that it would be capable like the stock with the right firmware someday... Though likely something new out by that time.

Again, thank you for the information.
Was not my intention to mislead the OP, was just the last/only information I had on the topic (which apparently was out of date). I will remember for the next person that asks

Guess that is the OPs best bet is to see if they can get ahold of a Cisco.
Old 2013-10-04, 09:47 AM   #9
rfielder
Veteran

Interesting debate.

What is the final conclusion? Can I use the Cisco unit with Unlimited Ultimate?

If so, do I get it from Rogers?
Old 2013-10-04, 09:58 AM   #10
gdkitty

From yyzlhr's info, you SHOULD be able to use it for the ultimate.

You may just have to jump a few techs/manager, to find the right one to be able to add the right code properly on the account to have it setup.

As for obtaining it.. You can call in and see if you can get one directly from them. They really push the Hitron ones, etc.. so not sure of the availability through direct over the phone.

You may have to call around to some of the stores and see what stock that they there.

Alternatively, you could buy a used one from someone (just make sure its REMOVED from their account first... not just their account CLOSED, but removed before the account is closed).
Old 2013-11-12, 01:41 PM   #11
gdkitty

Couldn't find another decent spot for this, so will add it to this thread rather than a new.

Someone posted on DSLreports, that there is a new firmware being pushed for this gateway.
This enabled the USB port on it, and port forwarding now appears to work on it as well.
Someone on the rogers forums was able to confirm that theirs was updated and now worked as well.
Old 2013-11-13, 02:36 PM   #12
rudyv1

My software version was updated early this morning according to the gateways records:

11/12/13 06:55:18 69010100 notice SW Download INIT - Via NMS
11/12/13 06:59:40 69011100 notice SW download Successful - Via NMS
11/13/13 02:50:26 69010100 notice SW Download INIT - Via NMS
11/13/13 02:54:48 69011100 notice SW download Successful - Via NMS

SW Version 4.2.4.1

I can confirm that the USB Ports do work now. I was able to log into the router setup and under Admin you must ENABLE the USB port. I can now see the USB drive located at:

file://192.168.0.1\share\diska1

I had to Map the drive for this to work
Thanks!
rudyv1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-12-16, 11:07 AM   #13
rfielder
Veteran

Some questions about the update:

1> can an update be done to a modem in bridge mode?

2> can I see what version the modem is at, when the modem is in bridge mode? If not, do I have to take the modem out of bridge mode to see what version is it at?

3> will this update help with my modem hanging? After all, that is what this discussion is about - see the first post.

Since putting the modem in, I have upgrade to Unlimited Ultimate, which did not change the modem's behaviour.

I also stopped using the remove access feature of WHS V1. Using TeamViewer 9 now, and it is far superior and very fast. That removed the issue with the DIR-655 blocking access to my server. This also did not help with the issue of the modem hanging.

The last change I have made is to put a timer onto the modem's power supply. Twice a day, the time turns the modem off for a few minutes. This has stopped us from seeing the issue with the modem hanging most days - but not all. There are days when I have to reset the modem two more times, and random times of the day. No pattern that I can see.
Old 2013-12-16, 11:18 AM   #14
gdkitty

From what I can recall.. technically yes there is a way into the routers interface.. but you have to do it externally from the WAN side.. change your IP/subnet, etc on that device to match it, and go in that way, etc.

All in all.. probably just as easy to reset it back to factory defaults, then when done put it back in bridged.

I believe, when they push the update, it reverts it back to non bridged.
Old 2013-12-16, 10:02 PM   #15
gdkitty

Question for anyone that may have this one.

now that it is enabled... how is the setup for one to connect to a storage drive plugged into it?

Got someone asking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.