PVR Rip Discussion Thread - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2008-09-03, 04:46 PM   #136
jalvarez699
Rookie

Quote:
I think the question can3gxw is asking is: has anyone tried using PVRExplorerPro to read an external hard drive with ExpressVu content on it? We know that it can read the 9200 and 9242 internal hard drive by hot-swapping the SATA interface to a PC. But can it read the external drive through the USB?
has anyone tried this yet? As I would rather purchase a external HD and then use that to transfer data, since i am renting mine and get it tomorrow.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

How about using just USB instead of Hotswapping to SATA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-09-12, 09:01 PM   #137
Moviemaker
Rookie

Default Looking for info PVR9242 copying MPEG's

I have been capturing movies for years with video capture card in computer, then burning them to DVD to build my collection. With purchase recently of new HD PVR and reading about the technology I thought that I would try to use external HD to transfer files as recorded by PVR to computer and expand my sources of capability. Not! The files would transfer once to new external HD and then would not be picked up by computer, or have drive letter assigned when opened in "my computer" The disk manager seems to recognize that a healthy drive exists, it just doesn't recognize it. Is there a way to get the disk in a state of recognition in windows xp? Is there any way of using this external source as a capture medium without having to run it through the video capture card? Last of all if the computer will not recognize the drive in its current format, how do I go about formatting this disk so that I can use it for other useful purposes? Thanks for any and all discussion, from what I've seem in these threads there is a lot of creativity out there. - G
Old 2008-09-13, 06:48 AM   #138
Pinza
Veteran

The way the External Drive is marketed is for "archiving" shows and movies, it is not made for storage and then transfer to a PC etc.

I am sure that will come eventually but for now it does not appear possible and it certainly is not going to be supported or encouraged by Bell TV.

I believe the file format of the EHD is a Linux Format.

Last edited by Pinza; 2008-09-13 at 07:23 AM.
Old 2008-09-16, 01:32 PM   #139
mickk

ther PVR most likly formats the drive to a funky file system that windows does not reconize. if you can find out the filesystem that it puts on the drive then you may be able to find a way or program on google to read the drive
Old 2008-09-16, 04:20 PM   #140
Simmer

Location: GTA . . . . . . . 52LG70, BTV 9200 & 5900, Toshiba XD-E500, Yamaha RX-V620, Pixel Magic MB100, H550

I believe you're right. My guess is the MPEG files on the drive are not encrypted but the directory structure is obscured somehow, either through encryption or some non-standard directory structure. PVRExplorerPro is able to read the directory and allows you to transfer the files.

As I said before in this post, has anyone tried using PVRExplorerPro to read an EHD with ExpressVu content on it.
Old 2008-09-17, 01:17 PM   #141
Grelber

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post
The way the External Drive is marketed is for "archiving" shows and movies, it is not made for storage and then transfer to a PC etc.

I am sure that will come eventually but for now it does not appear possible and it certainly is not going to be supported or encouraged by Bell TV.

I believe the file format of the EHD is a Linux Format.
It is indeed a Linux format on the EHD. When the receiver "formats" the drive it creates 2 EXT3 partitions. The first is a 1GB partition and it contains only a lost+found directory. The second partition is the rest of whatever size disk you are using. It has 2 directories. lost+found and DishArc, the latter with sub directories containing your archived programs. I copied that folder to my WinXP box but haven't figured out what filenames are required by pvrexplorer.

Grelber

Last edited by 57; 2008-09-17 at 04:27 PM. Reason: PM request removed.
Old 2008-09-18, 01:18 PM   #142
Grelber

Unhappy No Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmer View Post
As I said before in this post, has anyone tried using PVRExplorerPro to read an EHD with ExpressVu content on it.
After doing extensive research including other forums and groups, I have determined that the data on the EHD is encrypted. If you need to access the unencrypted files you would need to restore them to your 9242 internal hard drive and hot-swap the SATA interface to a PC.

I also tried to extract them with PVRExplorerPro and the message "the file you are using is encrypted" appeared after a short while.

Grelber
Old 2008-09-18, 01:22 PM   #143
mickk

drag so the EHD feature is practically worthless
Old 2008-09-18, 04:33 PM   #144
Pinza
Veteran

For now, maybe.

I am pretty sure that somewhere in a dark quiet room, men in white coats are working of this issue and a Eureka moment wil be coming in the future.....
Old 2008-10-14, 01:02 PM   #145
can3gxw

Well - with all these proprietary formats and encrypted data, looks like my HTPC will start seeing a lot more "old" action as the 9242 will probably be retired very soon and sent back to Bell for a 6141. Then I can decide what to do with MY shows.
Old 2008-11-21, 03:36 AM   #146
K15

Does anyone know the file system on the PVR's internal drives? Specifically, does anyone know the file system of a 5100?

Since earlier this year (I think E661 did it), I haven't been able to rip shows with pvrexplorer.

But if it's ext2 or ext3 (I use Linux), I could copy the data from the drive, right?

I'll try it anyway if no one knows, but if someone knows for sure that NO, it isn't ext2 or 3, then I'll save myself the hassle of pulling the 5100's drive for the 10th time to try.
Old 2008-11-21, 11:34 AM   #147
rsambuca
Veteran

I don't know about the 5100, but the 9200 drives are formatted as ext3.
Old 2008-11-25, 03:45 PM   #148
ss_blake
Rookie

I cannot find a faq/sticky/search for this info

How can you copy the MPEG files this PVR records to a Windows PC? Is it possible for the internal and/or external HD?
Old 2008-11-25, 03:58 PM   #149
Pinza
Veteran

Just look for references to the EHD (External Hard Drive) function for the 9242.

Copying and viewing on anything other than the 9242 that they were recorded on is NOT possible, yet.

I think you will also find they are NOT standard MPEG files but have a .ex3 extention.
Old 2008-12-01, 07:52 AM   #150
dosborne
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_blake View Post
I cannot find a faq/sticky/search for this info
Your post has been moved to the sticky thread at the top of the PVR forum

Tags
expressvu, pvr, rip