What are you watching on DVD these days? - Page 54 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2006-04-17, 01:18 AM   #796
eljay
DHC Supporter

Memoirs of a Geisha - Girl meets boy, girl loses boy, girl gets boy in the end. A mediocre story wrapped in stunning cinematography. If only it had been offered in Japanese with English subtitles...
Advertisement

Old 2006-04-17, 09:14 AM   #797
Tom_Joad

Brokeback Mountain - Excellent, highly recommended. Haunting and powerful story of loss and regret. Heath Ledger should've won Best Actor and this should've taken Best Film.

Aeon Flux
- Decent enough SF flick, enjoyable and visually stunning. Liked it better than I thought I would, but maybe that's because I knew nothing about it going in.
Old 2006-04-17, 09:44 AM   #798
Nels Stewart
Veteran

Thumbs up

Hawaii, Oslo - Five characters converge on an Oslo street in tragic circumstances on the hottest night of the summer; the movie then rewinds each of their stories to tell how they got there. This is one of Blockbuster's new "Festival Collection," of international films you might normally only see during a major film festival. Good movie and good PQ on the dvd, there seems to be some promising titles in the collection; a welcome alternative to some of the crap that normally clutters the shelves at the local video rental stores.
Old 2006-04-17, 10:48 AM   #799
MAXAM

Just finished off The Constant Gardener yesterday. I thought it was a little draggy in parts but well-acted. Not your traditional Hollywood ending.
Earlier in the week I watched War of the Worlds. I really liked the special effects and was a good remake of the 1953 version.
BTW A few years ago, I down loaded the Orson Welles classic 1938 radio play of War of the Worlds and it still held up pretty well. In those days they had to do all the sound effects live as they had no pre-recorded sounds or electronic synthesizers and to get the sound effect of the top of the alien cylinder slowly opening, they had a soundman unscrew an empty mayonnaise jar in the men's tiled bathroom several levels below the studio. He had to watch for a red light to come on and that was his cue to begin. It occurred to me that if he had dropped the jar it would have ruined the whole effect as the radio shows went out live in those days.
Old 2006-04-17, 01:53 PM   #800
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
Memoirs of a Geisha - Girl meets boy, girl loses boy, girl gets boy in the end. A mediocre story wrapped in stunning cinematography. If only it had been offered in Japanese with English subtitles...
Or, y'know, if they had casted ACTUAL JAPANESE actors in the roles. The top 3 Geisha were played by Chinese women. Huh?

And what was the deal with Sayuri's modern interpretive dance in her "coming out performance"?
Old 2006-04-17, 03:06 PM   #801
eljay
DHC Supporter

Well, you can't go frightening off average viewers with "Chinee gurls 'n' furrin' dancin' 'n' a whole mess o' crazy eye-dears".

A good car(t) chase, though, would really have spiced things up...
Old 2006-04-17, 04:01 PM   #802
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

Or that all non-Asians think all Asians are one-and-the-same. Well, that's what Hollywood seems to think.
Old 2006-04-18, 02:10 PM   #803
Tom_Joad

One thing that always bugs me is that all Asians are required by Hollywood Law to always have an accent, even if they speak perfect English.

And if there is an Asian actor who is half-Caucasian, they will be given the larger roles while "pure" Asians are relegated to thugs and lesser roles, a la the Chris Farley classic Beverly Hills Ninja.

But back to topic, I saw Hostel, and man, it was brutal. It wasn't the gore, it wasn't the atmosphere, it was the poor guy's screams as he sat strapped in the chair being tortured. Very convincing job, even made ol' TJ cringe a bit. I can easily stomach those surgery shows and I always know I'm watching a movie, so I can usually take this stuff (though the tongue cutting scene in Ichi the Killer was a bit hard to take).

Overall, not a bad production, though not really scary, not really original, and not really effective as a horror flick. They just try to gross you out instead of getting inside your head, which is where the best horror movies go. Definitely not for the squeamish or faint of heart, nor those who prefer their horror movies to be more cerebral and less visceral.
Old 2006-04-18, 02:24 PM   #804
JesseJ
Veteran

The Fast and the Furious - I love this movie. Maybe it's my age (probably) but I love fast cars. Writing isn't great, but at least it's a somewhat original story. Nothing beat's the first film.
PQ is excellent for this flick. It received top honors on many sites in DEC 2001.
Sound is incredible! I have the original DVD release with DTS, and that pounds. Crank it up and enjoy the sounds!
Old 2006-04-18, 07:27 PM   #805
MAXAM

[QUOTE=Tom_Joad]One thing that always bugs me is that all Asians are required by Hollywood Law to always have an accent, even if they speak perfect English.
And if there is an Asian actor who is half-Caucasian, they will be given the larger roles while "pure" Asians are relegated to thugs and lesser roles, a la the Chris Farley classic Beverly Hills Ninja.

The same type of racial stereotyping was displayed in "Bomba, the Jungle Boy" and the early "Tarzan" series e.g. the "African Jungle Princess or Queen" was always portrayed by a very light-skined, pretty black girl with processed straight hair while her bodyguards were very much darker skinned men with huge Afro hairdo's and white warpaint. They also had the Afro-American men yelling "Un-gow-wah" and "Bula, Bula" and other demeaning fake phrases!
In WW11 movies, German soldiers when talking to one another, always spoke with a heavy accent that sounded more like the Katzenjammer Kids from the comic books than any German person that I know. Some enlightened directors now will often have two German officers speaking to one another in German then switch to perfect English minus any accent which I think this is a much better technique.IMHO
Old 2006-04-20, 07:10 PM   #806
BPWingN

I just finished "Hostel" myself. I liked it (if you can say such a thing)
Maybe "like ' isn't the right word, and "enjoyed" certainly isn't.....but I thought, for what it tried to be, it was well done.

I agree with Tom Joad, the atmosphere was just plain creepy. The acting was much better than alot of films of this genre....and what scares me is how I'll bet this isn't that far from reality somewhere.

Brrrrrrrr....
Old 2006-04-21, 07:06 PM   #807
Nanuuk
Veteran

Watched Sound of Thunder last night starring Edward Burns and Ben Kingsley. Its a time travel story where something is changed in the past which in turn changes the future. I recall reading the Ray Bradbury book many years ago and was totally enthralled. Can't say the same about this movie. While the acting talent was there, the script and direction sucked in my opinion. While it was ok, it could have been way, way better.
Old 2006-04-22, 11:45 PM   #808
eljay
DHC Supporter

Brokeback Mountain - Two cowboys share a forbidden and unrequited love.

Aside from a couple of passionate moments between the two men and some beautiful scenery, my wife and I felt that the movie fell far short of both the hype and the accolaides it received.

The "gay cowboy" theme notwithstanding, the story was quite ordinary, the acting was decent but unexceptional (although Ledger did outshine Gyllenhaal) and, unfortunately, neither of the main characters was particularly sympathetic. (We kept waiting to really feel for these guys...but they never gave us any reason to.)

If it weren't for its controversial theme, I don't think this movie would ever have received any special attention. It's okay, but that's about it.

Last edited by eljay; 2006-04-22 at 11:55 PM.
Old 2006-04-23, 01:02 AM   #809
JesseJ
Veteran

Jarhead - Another Gyllenhaal movie. Liked this one. Showed me just how scary the military really is. PQ was good, Audio was descent. Would have thought the few war scenes would have been louder, but it wasn't bad. I would suggest this movie most definately.
Old 2006-04-23, 07:58 AM   #810
james99

I was gonna pick up Jarhead but decided to wait for the HD DVD version (comes out in May). It will be the first HD movie that I don't already own on DVD.