What are you watching on DVD these days? - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2004-12-11, 02:08 PM   #61
JesseJ
Veteran

Heartlands -quirky (always used when referring to ->) little British film, about a man who get cheated on, and ends up finding himself. Good little story, interesting ending. Recommend if you like those kinds of British films.

Also picked up Angels in America (PV, VHQ, $16). Will need time to watch, as it's 6 hours. I'll post a mini review here, and a larger one on the AiA thread when I get around to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2004-12-13, 12:25 AM   #62
cyclocommuter

Picked up 3 DVDs yesterday from Futureshop... Bourne Supremacy, The Last Samurai, and Spiderman 2 Superbit Edition.

Watched Bourne Supremacy last night... great DVD, non stop action and nice soundtrack.

Watched The Last Samurai today, awesome soundtrack... The organ/synthesizer on the soundtrack and the explosions on the battle scenes gave my subwoofer a real workout. I found the movie pretty good too... excellent cinematography specially the scenes of in the countryside.

I already have Spiderman 2 gift edition... I bought it because of the included comicbook. I am curious to find out if superbit really improves both video and sound over the non superbit one. Will probably find out next weekend.
Old 2004-12-13, 12:58 PM   #63
eljay
DHC Supporter

Over the weekend, I finally got around to watching "Monster". Wow. Charlize Theron's performance was incredible and the story, while intense and, at times, thoroughly depressing, was very compelling.

Last edited by eljay; 2004-12-20 at 10:31 AM.
Old 2004-12-13, 07:20 PM   #64
JesseJ
Veteran

Just finished The Lost World: Jurassic Park (JP2). Love all these movies. The first is the best, of course, but I love all 3 movies. While the story is not as strong as the first one, the special effects more than make up for that. 8/10
Upon rewatching, the video is a little washed out on this disc. The jungle scenes aren't the rich, poping, vibrant colors that are featured in the first movie. But the color is still very good. Alot of the movie takes place in rain and at night, so it may appear darker. Still a good reference disc, but not the best. 8/10
The sound is great. DD5.1, very aggressive sound mix, lots of use of the rears, in both ambient and directional sound. The LFE is also used as it was in all 3 movies to emphasize the steps of th elarger dinos. 9/10

Last edited by KinStud; 2004-12-13 at 07:36 PM.
Old 2004-12-20, 10:15 AM   #65
MikeyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal
I am 3 episodes into the Band of Brothers DVD set. It is nothing short of astounding.
Agreed. This is one of the best box sets I have seen (and wish I owned).
Old 2004-12-20, 01:41 PM   #66
Dave_in_Olde_Oakville

Default Dodgeball - A Real Underdog Story

Some funny bits but it just doesn't make me howl like Zoolander does. Some of the humour is gross and not funny (pizza down the pants comes to mind). Nothing in Dodgeball touches the comedic chemistry that exists between Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson in Zoolander. My wife told me that its time to take a break from these "sorts" of movies.

On a more positive note, we finally got around to watching HP: The Prisoner of Azkaban. I know, I know, but again, my wife is not much of a fan of the "genre" so we end up watching a lot more romantic comedies than I would like. The story, sets, and production quality of HP were absolutely great. Rollicking good fun, my kinda movie!
Old 2004-12-20, 02:07 PM   #67
lprice99

I saw the Alamo and thought it was ok. Not as bad as the critics said it was but, still not great. I think the PG-13 rating really hindered the movie because the battle scenes seemed much less realistic than movies like Braveheart or Saving Private Ryan because of this. Still it was not a bad historical movie.
Old 2004-12-20, 03:02 PM   #68
markusp

Just watched I, Robot last night for the first time and it was better than i expected it to be. Heard a lot of bad press on this film but I figured I would just sit back, take it all in and not analyse anything. All in all, I enjoyed it for what it was - a futuristic action film. Think I will pick up a previously viewed copy when the time comes.
Old 2004-12-20, 06:16 PM   #69
cyclocommuter

I actually almost believed the bad press about I-Robot that I just decided to rent it instead of buy it. After watching the DVD though, I decided to buy a copy to add to my collection. I found the story compelling and the was acting pretty good overall... including that of the robot. Also, the video and audio quality of this DVD are top notch...

Another DVD I rented and watched last night was Mean Girls... to me this is a little darker and not as funny as the other LL starrer, Freaky Friday, but the visuals were very good. I thought the critics were overly generous in their ratings of this movie... the opposite of I-Robot as well as the Last Samurai which also got so so ratings from critics.
Old 2004-12-23, 10:21 AM   #70
BradF

catching up with the Coen Bros:
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

and Carole Lombard:
Nothing Sacred
Mr. And Mrs. Smith

The Coens' re-making of that genteel little English heist film, The Ladykillers, is forced to play down to it's modern audience, but it's not a bad little picture really... hilarious at times, with slapstick that's classic. I also really liked Intolerable Cruelty. It's a very stylish, and always amusing, throwback to the great screwball comedies of the 30's and 40's... some of the best of them featuring the aforementioned, and utterly charming, Ms Lombard.
Old 2004-12-23, 11:25 AM   #71
Felgar

On Saturday me and two friends watched all 3 LOTR EE's back-to-back. Took 14 hours with small breaks between discs and one break to get food. Great fun though - those movies are right up there with my all-time favourites.

It's amazing how tired a guy can get just from sitting still though.
Old 2004-12-23, 11:50 AM   #72
bigtimecanadian

Spiderman 2, Harry Potter 3, Jack Frost, The Day After Tommorrow
I Love All Those Movies All 4 out 4 ( My Rating)
Old 2004-12-24, 09:37 AM   #73
johnp'in'bc
Veteran

'Under the Tuscan Sun' -- Nerves a bit frazzled, need some sun, warmth, and wonderful colours? Then this light 'fairy-tale' (almost) story might just be the right picture for you!! A light, romantic, and very pretty escape from reality. Did a second viewing the other night - much enjoyed.
Old 2004-12-24, 10:55 AM   #74
eljay
DHC Supporter

Diane Lane is yummy.
Old 2004-12-24, 03:51 PM   #75
johnp'in'bc
Veteran

Sure can't disagree with that!!