Need Codes for Shaw DCT Remote - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2004

Old 2004-10-14, 08:42 PM   #1
Richard Travale

Location: Vancouver Island. Shaw cable.Sony 46V2500,DCT6416(w/TB Xpndr), PS3, Denon AVR2807, Paradigm spkrs.
Default Need Codes for Shaw DCT Remote

Hey guys, I need some help here...well actually some help for my Mom. She has had a Sony 27" tube TV for a long time...since before she got her DCT 2000. Anyway, When she got the DCT, the guy set up the DCT remote so that it would control her TV as well. So, fast forward about 5 or 6 years and the Sony TV finally bit the biscuit (13 years after purchase mind you...not too bad). So, she went to the local Futureshop and bought herself a Prima 27" TV. She gets it to her house and I set everything up but there is no owner's manual around that has the remote codes (or even how to set the codes) so that she can control the TV and DCT with just one remote.

So, what I need is the remote code for Prima televisions and also quick instructions on how to set the code on the DCT remote.

Sure, she could just use both remotes but we all know mothers, and we know that if it is too much bother, chances are they won't use stuff. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2004-10-14, 09:30 PM   #2
atong

depending on what remote control she has...here are the manuals

http://www.shaw.ca/Tmplt.asp?PageID=268
Old 2004-10-14, 09:46 PM   #3
idearat

Well, I see that while I was busy giving myself carpal tunnel syndrome, atong posted the perfect elegant answer. Since I went to all that work I'm going to be stubborn and post mine anyway!

Well, I have an answer of sorts for you. (This is from the book for the Millenium 4 remote that came with my old DCT2000; hopefully you have the same.)

Unfortunately, there's no Prima brand in the list of setup codes. If Prima is an old brand renamed or something, let me know and I'll give you those codes.

<EDIT: I see from the online manual that PRIMA may be related to Curtis Mathes, so try these codes first using the 3rd set of instructions below: 0047,0054,0154,0051,0451,0093,0060,0030,0145,0056,0016,0039, 0166,0466.>

Meanwhile, all is not lost... it's just tedious! You can use the "Searching for your code" procedure:

1. Turn on your TV.
2. On the remote, press and hold SETUP until the LED blinks twice, then release SETUP.
3. Enter 9-9-1. The LED will blink twice.
4. Aim the remote at the TV and slowly alternate between pressing POWER and TV. Stop when the TV turns off.
NOTE: In the search mode, the Millenium 4 will send IR codes from its library to the selected component, starting with the most popular code first.
5. Press SETUP once to lock in the code.

One thing it doesn't say is how many different codes there are. Looking at the list, I'd say easily a couple hundred, so don't give up too quickly if it doesn't seem to work.

If it does work, you should do the following to find out what the code is, and write it down so you can use the normal procedure (which I'll give you shortly) if it ever stops working (or you replace it):

1. Turn on the TV.
2. On the remote, press and hold SETUP until the LED blinks twice, then release SETUP.
3. Enter 9-9-0. The LED will blink twice.
4. To view the code for the first digit, press 1 once. Wait 3 seconds and count the number of LED blinks (e.g. 3 blinks = '3') and write down the digit.
5. Repeat step 4 three more times for remaining digits; press 2 and count, then 3 and count, then 4 and count.

Okay, lastly, if you ever need to reprogram the code you just discovered:

1. Turn on the TV.
2. On the remote, press TV once. Press and hold SETUP until the LED blinks twice, then release SETUP.
3. Enter the four-digit code. If it works, the LED will blink twice.
NOTE: If the LED did not blink twice after entering the code's last digit, then repeat steps 2 through 3 and try entering the same code again.
4. Aim the remote at the TV and press POWER once. The TV should turn off.

...and THAT should do it. Phew... good thing I type 60wpm.

HTH. Cheers... Perry.
Old 2004-10-14, 11:59 PM   #4
shawguy
Premium Supporter

Wow lots of posts lately on the Shaw remote codes ( http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=16128 )

Another thing I thought I would mention is many of the remote control booklets don't mention the "programming the Power Key to turn all devices off and on" and why Shaw hasn't put instructions on how to do this on their site bugs me -

1. Push CBL
2. Push setup - till it blinks twice
3. Type 995 - LED will blink twice
4. Press Power once
5. Press CBL Power, then Tv Power, Then VCR, Power, Then Audio Power. Then finally push CBL once - this puts it back in cable mode
(Ps you can remove anyone of those if you don't want them all to turn on or off. Ex. you can stop after TV power if you only want those two to turn off at the same time)
6. push Setup till LED blinks twice

Now try it and it should turn off or on everything you programmed to do when in cable mode and you push power.

Shawguy
Old 2004-10-15, 01:21 AM   #5
idearat

Cool tip... thanks shawguy!
Old 2004-10-18, 02:03 PM   #6
Richard Travale

Location: Vancouver Island. Shaw cable.Sony 46V2500,DCT6416(w/TB Xpndr), PS3, Denon AVR2807, Paradigm spkrs.

Hey Guys, thank you all for the help.
Sadly none of those codes worked and I spent 45 minutes with the code searching method and no dice.
Old 2005-10-15, 07:34 PM   #7
funkright

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by atong
depending on what remote control she has...here are the manuals

http://www.shaw.ca/Tmplt.asp?PageID=268
new link here
Old 2005-10-16, 01:55 AM   #8
jrcactus

Default Prima remote

Prima TV's wont program to the Shaw remotes, the new PVR type remotes they will but not the older style with the slider on the bottom.
Old 2005-10-16, 02:31 AM   #9
BlueSkyzz

Try this code, 0054.