American Netflix in Canada with Unblock-us - is it legal? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-12-27, 12:18 PM   #1
andy102
Rookie

Default American Netflix in Canada with Unblock-us - is it legal?

I'm currently using Unblock-us: http://www.unblock-us.com to get American Netflix in Canada, right now I'm only on their 7 day trial but before even starting the trial I did my research to see if it was even legal (I saw some comments of people saying it was clearly illegal)

I googled around and could not find a Canadian law forbidding the use of VPNs or SmartDNS services, I then called Netflix and asked a rep there and they also said as far as they know it is not illegal to use a VPN or SmartDNS service with Netflix as the user still has to pay for Netflix.

Can anyone shed some light on this before I decide to pay for their service? (Which is great, btw) I just want to make sure this is definitely legal...
andy102 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-12-27, 01:22 PM   #2
thenewdc
Veteran

There is nothing illegal about using a VPN. Now, circumventing payment is obviously illegal. Netflix is well aware of what's going on with their service. At some point in time it would be up to them to find a fix to prevent regional restrictions from being bypassed by users, and I don't think they are going to do anything about it until their suppliers start to cry foul. Regardless of which version you access, the rights holders are still getting paid.
thenewdc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-12-27, 08:12 PM   #3
ExDilbert
Veteran

Talking Illegal = Sick Eagle

It may violate some copyright agreement or law, somehow or somewhere. But really, who cares? Canadians have been ripped off in so many ways for so long, it's about time we got a break, even if it's only by finding a semi-legal way of getting around a multitude of protectionist agreements and laws that are designed to rip us off in the first place.

Last edited by 57; 2012-12-27 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Language
ExDilbert is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-12-28, 08:59 AM   #4
pinto

It's all about who has the distribution rights.. if a certain show isn't being shown in Canada but is in the US.. it's because there are no distribution rights for Canada. There are also shows on CDN Netflix that don't show up on the US site.. same reason. My wife has been in the distribution game in Canada for 30 years.. nothing illegal going on
pinto is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-12-28, 01:26 PM   #5
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

As far as Netflix is concerned, you're a happier customer and you're still paying them. Those are the two things they want. Clamping down on it without external pressure (for no reason) would not be in their best interest.
North_of_Calgary is online now   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.