SA8000/8300HD - Internal Hard Disk Upgrade Works (Cloning too) See Post 1. - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2008-06-08, 06:53 PM   #151
gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgarin View Post
Did anyone try to replace HDD in SA 8000 PVR? The reason why I'm asking that is because SA 8000 is pretty cheap (below $100) and it might be a good choice to PVR-enable every room.

The only problem is relatively small HDD - only 80GB. If 500GB HDD can be installed in SA 8000 or SA 8000HD it would be great news!

Thanks!
I did, with a 320GB hard drive. Don't know about using a 500HD though... Might want to check the wattage on it first.
Advertisement

Old 2008-06-10, 10:45 AM   #152
snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinhornets View Post
anyone tried a larger western digital drive as an internal replacement? can i go with 750 ?
Western Digital doesn't make an IDE drive larger than 500GB. I did try a 750GB Seagate drive I had and it booted up and formated fine. But I found occasional glitches in the video and audio stream even watching live TV without any other recording happening. I ended up pulling the drive the next day.
Old 2008-06-10, 12:24 PM   #153
scotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipes View Post
Western Digital doesn't make an IDE drive larger than 500GB.
Since the SA8300HD uses an IDE to SATA converter chip for their external E-SATA port, I would bet that you could use one of the available IDE to SATA adapters to install an internal SATA drive. I've never heard of anyone trying it, though.

Here's what I'm talking about (first hit on a Google search).
Old 2008-06-16, 03:12 PM   #154
snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotta View Post
Since the SA8300HD uses an IDE to SATA converter chip for their external E-SATA port, I would bet that you could use one of the available IDE to SATA adapters to install an internal SATA drive. I've never heard of anyone trying it, though.
That looks like it should fit inside the PVR. Please do post how it works.
Old 2008-06-21, 02:37 PM   #155
buzzinhornets

ok, i have a 500gb external right now and was going to upgrade the internal to 500gb. once i've done that to the internal, can i still view the shows i have saved on the external?
Old 2008-06-21, 03:41 PM   #156
Jake

No. You will have to format the internal thus wiping out the index for the external drive. The index for all drives is stored on the internal drive.
Old 2008-06-21, 05:15 PM   #157
buzzinhornets

Hmm, that sucks. So what's the approach with the external? When, do I need to format it after the new internal install.
Old 2008-06-22, 11:44 AM   #158
Bplayer

Quote:
Hmm, that sucks. So what's the approach with the external? When, do I need to format it after the new internal install.
There are a few options.

1. You could try cloning the internal drive using the process and software explained in the following post. This would retain all your recordings from both the internal and external HDD's

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=137

2. If you are planning to continue using the external HDD after the upgrade of the internal, then you should reformat the external. This should be done after the confirming that the internal is working correctly, It can done by connecting it to a PC and doing a reformat, or using the PVR reformat process that I think is outlined in the Tips & Tricks. The latter will also reformat the internal again wiping out any recording or scheduled recordings.

3. Do not use the external HDD with the upgraded internal. If yo need to watch a previously recorded program on the HDD, swap the internal drive and reconnect the external. This is painful, but workable.
Old 2008-06-22, 09:02 PM   #159
buzzinhornets

hmm... cloning, eh? i already have 3 drives in my pc, so i'd have to buy something like a "ide/sata to usb 2.0" adapter and clone it that way. but that'd cost another $30 i think at tigerdirect, so i guess i'll just lose everyything and start fresh. this 'hobby' is already getting too expensive.
Old 2008-06-23, 09:28 AM   #160
buzzinhornets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDub View Post
I followed Ghost's instruction for replacing the internal hard drive which worked perfectly. I did not want to lose all of my settings and recording so I created a drive image. Here is what I did.

1. Removed the old Western Digital 160GB IDE drive and installed it into my
computer

2. Installed the new drive into my computer, a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB IDE drive.

Note: you may need to set one of the drives to master and the other to slave to get this working. Be sure to set them back to CS (Cable Select) before you reinstall into the 8300HD.

3. I used Active@ Disk Image version 3.1.5 to create a clone

4. The software has the option of creating a boot image. (ISO) So I created a bootable CD using this image.

5. I booted the CD and chose the clone option.

6. I selected the 160GB as the source and the 320GB as the destination and started the copy.

The copy took about 2.5 hours as it does a sector by sector copy. Once completed I installed the new 320GB drive into the 8300HD and it booted right up. My free space went from 80% in use to 40% in use. I would imagine that Symantec Ghost would also work but I did not try it.

I do own my 8300HD so I was not worried about voiding the warranty. Use these instructions at your own risk! I would recommend reading this entire threat before attempting this upgrade.

Hope this info helps.
why did you create a bootable cd to perform this? could I not install both harddrives as USB (via an external case or adapter) and then clone while in Windows? or does it have to be performed in DOS?
Old 2008-06-23, 12:58 PM   #161
rfielder
Veteran

Quote:
why did you create a bootable cd to perform this? could I not install both harddrives as USB (via an external case or adapter) and then clone while in Windows? or does it have to be performed in DOS?
USB drive duplicating is usually a lot slower than with drives attached to an IDE or SATA channel.

Booting from a CD means you get 100% of the system's power. Plus, some -such as the older version of Norton Ghost I use - do run from a version of DOS.
Old 2008-06-25, 04:28 PM   #162
buzzinhornets

...i'm confused. I want to do a sector by sector image of a 160 gb harddrive from my HD PVR using acronis true image. the 160gb dirve will be the 'source' and a 500GB drive will be the 'destination'. what i'm wondering is what happens to the extra 340gb on the larger drive? i don't get it.

won't the sector by sector image fill up only the first 160gb of the 500gb drive? then what, create a second partition with the remaining 340gb?

or, will the image just end up on the 500gb drive in one partition leaving me with 340 gb of usuable space?

Edit: ACRONIS True Image has been reported as not working properly.

Last edited by Jake; 2008-11-14 at 10:44 AM. Reason: see edit
Old 2008-06-29, 06:54 PM   #163
ruby1308

Quote:
...i'm confused. I want to do a sector by sector image of a 160 gb harddrive from my HD PVR using acronis true image. the 160gb dirve will be the 'source' and a 500GB drive will be the 'destination'. what i'm wondering is what happens to the extra 340gb on the larger drive? i don't get it.

won't the sector by sector image fill up only the first 160gb of the 500gb drive? then what, create a second partition with the remaining 340gb?

or, will the image just end up on the 500gb drive in one partition leaving me with 340 gb of usuable space?
boot with your cd or make a bootable cd
select clone
select automatic
you will have a carbon copy of your data and yes it's only going to be 1 partition as you had before and yes you will have the extra usable space.

Don't forget though, before you start, source is master, destination is slave, then pin it back to cable select for the new disk and the old one, well, it depends what you want to do.
Old 2008-06-29, 07:00 PM   #164
ruby1308

Quote:
hmm... cloning, eh? i already have 3 drives in my pc, so i'd have to buy something like a "ide/sata to usb 2.0" adapter and clone it that way. but that'd cost another $30 i think at tigerdirect, so i guess i'll just lose everyything and start fresh. this 'hobby' is already getting too expensive.
simply disconnect your 3 drives, remembering how they were connected.

put in the 2 hard disk in question, well the one already in the pvr and your new one, then follow what i am saying to your next question.....
Old 2008-06-29, 10:00 PM   #165
buzzinhornets

if i'm using two of these ide to usb adapters, what would the jumpers be set to?