2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs Schedule - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On In Sports?

Old 2012-04-16, 04:15 PM   #61
StickyDragon

Is there some CRTC rule that they can't play hockey on Newsworld or Bold?

It would really be nice to be ableto watch the Boston/Washington game in HD.

Otherwise, they should play the Boston/Washington on CBC Vancouver and the Ottawa games on the rest of the CBC stations. At least then people with time shifting could watch either game. I assume there is some other CRTC rule that says they need to play Canadian teams for everyone.

It would have been smart for CBC to select more western games. At least TSN can play 2 games at once so it wouldn't have been a problem for them to play the Boston games.
StickyDragon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-16, 04:20 PM   #62
alebowgm
Veteran

Yes, there is a CRTC rule that Newsworld and Bold are not allowed to air hockey, as well as a few other sports such as baseball. There is no CRTC rule saying they have to put a Canadian team on the air. CBC chooess to put Ottawa across the nation since its a Canadian team. If they want they could air it on CBC Vancouver since most BDUs carry that in HD but CBC has chosen not to do so.

The game appears to be set to air in HD as part of NHLCI for those who sub to SSP tonight. Also those who get CHEX on their local cable will get it in HD. Everyone else is SOL unless the BDUs who have NHLCI decide to put it there.

As for game selection, it works the following way:

1) CBC
2) CBC
3) TSN
4) CBC
5) TSN
6) CBC
7) TSN
8) TSN

Clearly CBC chose Ottawa and Vancouver with their first two picks. TSN then likely took Pit/Phi. CBC took Det/Nas likely for CBET and also because the games work with the schedule of having Ottawa in the early slot. TSN then likely took one of STL/SJ or CHI/PHX so they would have a late night game. That left CBC with the remaining west coast game, NJ/FLA or BOS/WAS. They went with BOS/WAS because (1) more viewers will watch at 7pm ET than 10 pm ET and also BOS has an Atlantic Canada following. Then NJ/FLA and the remaining west coast game was assigned to TSN. The only other option was to take NJ/FLA and then divided the nation, as that schedule often conflicts with Det/Nas. Something like Manitoba west + CBET get Detroit, Ontario east get FLA/NJ. But they decided not to do that.
Old 2012-04-16, 04:28 PM   #63
StickyDragon

What is SSP?
StickyDragon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-16, 04:34 PM   #64
alebowgm
Veteran

Super Sports Package, which is available to Rogers and Cogeco subs.
Old 2012-04-16, 04:45 PM   #65
NB Josh
Veteran

NJ-FLA conflicts with NYR-OTT for games 5 and 7, so its hardly a better choice than WSH-BOS.

I think CBC has to have 2 east and 2 west series as part of their deal with the NHL (to insure TSN doesn't get stuck with 2 terrible west series at the end). In any event I'm quite certain it went like this.

-CBC chose Vancouver/Ottawa.
-TSN chose Pens-Flyers.
-CBC chose Wings-Predators because it didn't conflict with OTT-NYR.
-TSN chose 'Hawks-Coyotes - they are producing their own coverage of every game of this series; this isn't true for STL-SJ. It is certainly their #2 series.
-CBC chose Bruins-Caps. Panthers-Devils was the other, very unattractive option.
-TSN was left with Blues-Sharks and Panthers-Devils.

Even if CBC could have taken STL-SJ at #5, there really was no reason to. It conflicts with OTT-NYR 3 times.
NB Josh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-16, 06:37 PM   #66
PokerFace

Question SSP Freebies for tonight

I only have an SD Rogers box, so I can't watch any of the free SSP HD broadcasts that Rogers occasionally appears to offer, but it does look like tonight's Wash/Boston game will be free to those with access to SSP HD channel 495. That would be a classy move if it's true.

[I will be watching the Wash/Boston game on channel 129 (SD).]

Last season, I watched many Yankee games for free on the SSP channels.

More possible SSP freebies set for tonight ...

For NBA fans:

473 (HD)= NBA: 7:30pm Miami Heat vs NJ Nets

AND

10pm Portland vs Phoenix
[also on SN1]

-----------

For tomorrow...

For OHL fans:

433 (SD)= 6:30pm (OHL pre-game show), 7pm ET: Barrie vs Ottawa

Disclaimer: The free SSP channels that Rogers offers are always subject to change, so don't count your chickens before they are actually hatched. I'm merely mentioning that as of right now, there appears to be some SSP freebies set for tonight ... but they might disappear by game time, so don't blame me if that happens.

Last edited by PokerFace; 2012-04-16 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Free OHL game is for Tuesday
PokerFace is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-17, 05:36 AM   #67
SportsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyDragon View Post
Is there some CRTC rule that they can't play hockey on Newsworld or Bold?
Bold is allowed to show hockey but TSN has exclusive cable rights to the playoffs so CBC can't move games there.

The Boston/Washington games are in HD on RDS2.
SportsFan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-17, 09:00 AM   #68
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

^^^There seems to be some disagreement as to if the CRTC permits Bold to show hockey or not. I did some research and here is the only relevant condition of license I could find for Bold. From Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-214:

Quote:
24. The Commission notes that in addition to the nature of service condition, bold must comply with the following conditions:
  • no more than 10% of all programming broadcast during each broadcast week shall be devoted to subcategory 7(d) Theatrical features films aired on TV;
  • no more than 10% of all programming broadcast during each broadcast year shall be devoted to subcategories 6(a) Professional sports and 6(b) Amateur sports; and
  • no more than 10% of all programming broadcast during each broadcast month shall also be broadcast on the CBC during the same broadcast month.
So they can show Hockey, but as others have said, TSN has the exclusive cable rights.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:31 PM   #69
alebowgm
Veteran

How many people outside of B.C. had no idea tonight what CBUT was. Or in BC knew what CBLT was. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to see them use call letters tonight
Old 2012-04-19, 10:58 AM   #70
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

I missed the use of call letters. All I heard was when they cut back to Ottawa they said those in BC would continue to watch the game in L.A. and those Alberta east would see the game in Ottawa.

I did read a couple friends on Facebook (who claimed to be watching the "East HD feed" which I assume is CBLT-DT) complain that they didn't show OT. Not sure if it was a problem with CBC or their service provider. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 2012-04-19, 11:36 AM   #71
alebowgm
Veteran

They were running a bottom third scroll, both on CBUT and CBET, saying that the other game was available on CBLT (in the case of CBUT) and CBUT (in the case of CBET). I had both games on side-by-side and saw it on both stations, however both were muted so I have no idea what was said on-air.

I did notice that CBET quickly cut from the Sens to the Canucks after the goal was scored, then cut right back to the Sens to give a short post game. Not sure if that was CBC wide or just a local CBET thing.

Ask your Facebook friends what station they were tuned to.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:39 AM   #72
leaffan1967

the quick cut after Sens OT winner was there on CBHT Halifax too, a bug on the bottom on the halifax station directed viewers to CBUT Vancouver for the canucks game. So thats what I saw..
Old 2012-04-19, 12:28 PM   #73
roger1818
Veteran

I also saw the quick cut after Sens OT winner on CBOT-DT (OTA). Someone likely pushed the wrong button.

I don't remember seeing the scrolling text, so maybe that was only on the cable feed, I think I still have the recording, so I will double check when I get home.

I don't think they know what call letters they were watching, only that it was supposedly "CBC HD East" whatever that is.
Old 2012-04-19, 12:56 PM   #74
alebowgm
Veteran

Well I was watching the Sens OT on CBET OTA and it had the scroll, and was watching the Canucks 1st period on CBUT cable feed from Rogers and it also had it. So don't think it was a cable only thing, as leaffan1967 also said he was watching OTA on CBHT and he saw it.
Old 2012-04-19, 01:14 PM   #75
roger1818
Veteran

Must have been so focused on the game that I missed it then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.