Rumored details on the PS4 (ORBIS) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > Video Game Consoles and PC Gaming

Old 2012-03-31, 04:44 PM   #16
j0dest3r
Veteran

It will be locked to your account so you can use it on as many consoles as you want only one console at a time.

I'm sure they will be more than happy to charge you again for your back catalog in digital download format!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-01, 11:10 AM   #17
Gord Lacey
Veteran

It may not be "as many consoles as you want," as the current terms are for 2 consoles (down from the 5 they used to allow).
Old 2012-04-01, 12:10 PM   #18
audacity
Veteran

Historically, backwards compatibility wasn't a given for console games. And when it was attempted it has either been imperfect, or discontinued.

If you want to keep playing a old console game, hang on to the hardware needed to play it.

I think Steam got it right when it came to software delivery (as did Apple's app store). It would make sense for the future to look more like those systems than having all the issues that go along with physical media.

- No more scratched discs
- No more "sold out" games
- No more paying for physical distribution, inventory management, and shelf space

I believe the fear that there will be draconian rules in place is unfounded. The "digital software stores" (like Apple, Steam, Microsoft, etc) have a fair set of rules. You can use your games on up to 5 devices (Apple, Microsoft) or unlimited devices (Steam). Sure, you can't re-sell your games, but you may be able to purchase said games for a lot less - see the game prices on Steam (when they're on sale) and Apple's app store as examples of this.

If Sony did choose to go with draconian rules, I suspect they'll just lose out in the market share wars. Competition is good, and all the players in this game will keep prices reasonable.
Old 2012-04-01, 12:21 PM   #19
TorontoColin

Indeed, of all the consoles I've ever had experience with, dating back to the original Nintendo, only the Wii, the PS2, and the first run of PS3s have had full backward compatibility that I recall.
Old 2012-04-01, 03:54 PM   #20
Inzane

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Historically, backwards compatibility wasn't a given for console games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Indeed, of all the consoles I've ever had experience with, dating back to the original Nintendo, only the Wii, the PS2, and the first run of PS3s have had full backward compatibility that I recall.
Good point.

Although correct me if I'm wrong but weren't there adapters to play NES games on the SNES, or Sega Master System games on Sega Genesis? (I could be wrong, because of all those my family only ever had an original NES).
Old 2012-04-01, 05:43 PM   #21
dezzpayne

Digital delivery is the future. Shops like EBGames will be like HMV soon enough. The only thing stopping it is that consoles are traditionally a loss leader so they would need to make it so that console retailers can turn a profit off the hardware.

As I said earlier, it's about execution. If Sony can pull it off like Steam it's a surefire win. Sadly, the name Sony is more associated with Draconian DRM and root kits. Don't do it like the PSP, go full digital, don't apologize and show your customers the benefit! Going digital just so you can pocket the extra $$ and still sell everything at $59.99 is going to work against them.
Old 2012-04-01, 06:15 PM   #22
audacity
Veteran

Don't get me wrong, we have no reason to believe that Sony will be successful in going digital.

I think there is every reason to believe that at least one of the companies in the gaming industry will "do it right" when doing digital, and the ones that "do it right" will be the successful ones.

Hopefully Sony has learned from its failures in the past 6 years. At least, hopefully for Sony. With or without Sony I'm pretty confidant that gamers will be just fine.