Kobo's Misleading Advertising - Comics vs eBooks - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Portable Electronics: Digital Cameras, Camcorders, ebook Readers, iPods, MP3 Players and GPS

Old 2012-03-05, 03:00 PM   #1
BGY11
Veteran

Default Kobo's Misleading Advertising - Comics vs eBooks

If I'm reading things correctly, it appears Kobo is now using false-advertising with regards to their "Read Freely" slogan. From their Read Freely page:

Quote:
Kobo: An Open Platform

The eBooks you buy with Kobo are yours. You're free to read them on the most popular open devices. Or, you can buy books from other eBook retailers and read them with Kobo. The choice is yours.
On the main Kobo page, one of the banners states "Not being able to read your eBooks on other eReaders should be a crime. eBooks you buy with Kobo are truly yours. You are free to read your books on any open device - regardless of brand."

So, how do they justify having things like comics (which are still eBooks in my opinion) being exclusive to the Kobo Vox? For example, Hellboy Comic

You are unable to get a preview or view this book if you don't have a Vox. Even if you have another device with a color display (such as an Android tablet) this title won't appear in your library. Out of curiosity, is there a special comics app on the vox that would justify why these are different than regular eBooks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-05, 03:08 PM   #2
jvincent

My guess would be that the graphic novels (have to use the right term these days) generally don't display well on the Kobo (or other e-ink) readers so they have them disabled to avoid a slew of complaints.

Of course that doesn't explain the Android tablet problem.
Old 2012-03-05, 03:38 PM   #3
NeilN
Veteran

At first, I got excited but then I looked further and it seems it's the same line Amazon is peddling. They describe their "open" platform thusly: "You're free to read them on the most popular open devices." However their books are encumbered by Adobe DRM. That's not open. Open and "reading freely" means I can take what I bought and convert it so I can read the contents on any device using any software I choose.
Old 2012-03-05, 04:04 PM   #4
BGY11
Veteran

You can't even read the graphic novels on a desktop PC with their app! That to me seems like the vox isn't doing as well as they had hoped, and are trying to drum up sales by making certain things exclusive to it.