Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing > Windows Computing

Old 2012-03-11, 10:08 PM   #31
Wayne
Veteran

Has anyone figured out how to add any search providers other than Bing? When I click on the arrow beside the Magnifying glass in the URL/search bar in IE 10 at the bottom it shows that Bing is installed and there is a button for Add. When I click add it takes you to the online IE gallery. When I click Google from here nothing happens.

IMHO the Metro UI is a disaster on desktop PCs although it may work well on tablets and phones.
Wayne is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-12, 01:52 AM   #32
mellaby

Search for google on bing then install google. I had no problems getting google on Win 8. It even adds a icon on the new metro to launch. Give Win 8 a little time it's not that bad.
mellaby is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-12, 12:02 PM   #33
audacity
Veteran

I think that the problem with Metro is that its so new that people aren't always sure what to do in a given situation (myself included).

There are a number of sites that have enumerated the keyboard shortcuts which I find helpful.
audacity is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-12, 01:48 PM   #34
Wayne
Veteran

That is part of the problem, but having one app take up all of my 23" screen is, IMHO, just plain dumb. It makes sense for tablets but at work I have dual 22" screens and in my office at home I have dual 23" screens. I carefully arrange the windows so that I can effectively use several apps at once. You simply cannot do this with the Metro UI until you get to the "desktop".

There also appears to be no way, at least not yet, to have Win Media Center come up in the foreground upon a reboot. MC will start but it will remain hidden behind the Metro UI - that is a problem for the way that HTPCs work.
Wayne is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-12, 02:19 PM   #35
ScaryBob
Veteran

It is possible to make the desktop the default UI or disable Metro entirely. It involves a registry hack but is well documented on the internet. It's also possible to restore the functionality of the Start button, though not exactly.

Metro would be better if it could be linked to a touch pad for input. My prediction is that it will flop for traditional Windows only users but will be popular with people who primarily use a touch pad interface.
Old 2012-03-12, 06:15 PM   #36
j0dest3r
Veteran

I found this that should help.

Navigate over to your Windows directory. Do a search for "shows desktop," and copy the shortcut that you find into the following location: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. By doing so, you'll ensure that Windows 8 always boots to the "Classic Desktop" instead of its Metro UI.
j0dest3r is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-13, 02:03 PM   #37
MarcP
Veteran

MarcP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-13, 02:16 PM   #38
scrooloose
Veteran

LOL, I felt the same way, frankly. What is Microsoft thinking?

-Mike
Old 2012-03-13, 02:32 PM   #39
mellaby

I think Microsoft should have had a demo at first start up to show how windows 8 works.
Old 2012-03-13, 04:03 PM   #40
j0dest3r
Veteran

That sounds like an awesome idea!!
j0dest3r is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-13, 04:41 PM   #41
TorontoColin

They usually have those with the final launch version. I'm sure they'll have one then.
Old 2012-03-13, 05:33 PM   #42
MarcP
Veteran

Problem is, not everyone will have their very first Win8 experience on a brand new install where the canned demo is shown only on very first boot.
MarcP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-13, 07:04 PM   #43
yohee

Angry tried installing win 8 preview no go

twice i may be crazy but i gave up
yohee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-13, 07:57 PM   #44
mellaby

Yohee, that's too bad about your install. Is your PC old (+ 5 years)? My laptop is 2 years old. It ran win 7. My Beta install was the easiest I've done so far. Only the audio driver from Toshiba was needed.
Old 2012-03-14, 12:00 AM   #45
yohee

Angry i have an compaq presairo pc which had windows vista

then i upgraded to windows 7
yohee is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
windows 8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.