FTA in the Household - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Free to Air Satellite Television

Old 2012-02-21, 03:14 PM   #1
Kraven

Default FTA in the Household

How do you use FTA in your household? Primary means of television, secondary, or just for side-entertainment when there is nothing on?

As for myself:

I'd be 100% FTA, OTA and streaming if my GF didn't have a need to be entertained 24/7. She suffers from "channel surfing" withdrawal and admitted she can't watch tv in the basement (boo hoo hoo) so she never goes there.

Main living room: cable, PS3 (Hulu and Netflix)
Man Cave: Roku (hulu, netflix, Amazon VOD), FTA and OTA
Living room # 2: OTA and Xbox (hulu and netflix).

Once the 6 footer goes up, am more than happy. but she swears she needs OWN, W and A@E.

Point being, am quite curious how FTA is used in your household.

Cheers, K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-21, 04:16 PM   #2
bigredneck

Things got tough and continue to get tougher, by this i mean lack of work and money. My wife agreed (not with a smiling face) that we needed to cut down on all expenses. We took out our house phone, saved $80/month ( we use our cell phones). We discontinued Dish TV , saved $130/month. We now use OTA which gives 17 channels, and FTA which gives us several more. I was fine, but my wife took a while to get used to it. She's ok with it now. However the recent loss of History Channel was hard on me.

We have one tv in the house and I have two in my shop, which is a separate bldg in the back. I'm currently installing a second BUD, just for the shop. I cannot see us going back to pay tv ever. Note: we also gave up xm radio and now use the free service Pandora on our IPHONEs with a cord to our Bose radio. We got our IPHONES with unlimited use way back when it was still available.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:38 PM   #3
tdti1

Throw a 4d or dsr 410 in and you can get her channels on a small pack, not in hd though

I use netflix off the ps3, and the big dish c/ku and a Patriot 1.1m meter, I do have ota but never use it. I have a 4d but don't have a sub but pop it on usually in the winter here and there for 3 months or so.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:41 PM   #4
tigwelder

I have three motorized ku band dishes as fta is primary for me supplemented by ota for local news.Any tv series or movies I want to watch I download and stream to my ps3 using a media server.I cancelled rogers cable last month and dont miss it a bit!
ps. looking to set up a c band dish this year.
Old 2012-02-22, 08:10 AM   #5
cyberham

Here, we have only 1 big screen TV in the house in the living room. Wife never watches TV since she gets her entertainment exclusively via the Internet on her PC. So I alone have freedom to put what I want on the big screen. I mostly channel surf with exception of a few select shows from commercial TV that I always PVR (60 Minutes, Survivor, Shark Tank, Dragon's Den). Ku-only FTA with S9 PVR and motor for 15W through 121W continuous including free ITC locals (total of 10 HD network stations right now) is in a neck-and-neck race with Shaw Direct Basic with PVR (all Canadian/American HD networks), OTA (CBC HD and CTV HD only available), Netflix, and Internet (mainly youtube) received directly on big screen via Internet connection on TV.

FTA is more of a technical interest than provider of TV entertainment, but I notice some nights, even with all of above available, I spend much time using FTA instead of anything else. Ebru, Tuff/RTV/PBJ, CCTV News/Documentary, LPB, Al Jazeera often pull me away from others. I anticipate dumping Shaw Direct in the foreseeable future since it is a low-quality redundant source now, and mostly a backup to the other services. I can't watch all the Netflix I have in my movie queue.
Old 2012-02-22, 08:53 AM   #6
classicsat
Veteran

Just a hobby really. I have Shaw Direct as my primary TV source.
Old 2012-02-22, 09:25 AM   #7
Kraven

At first my motivation was to save $$$. Our bill was 180$ monthly (phone, high speed internet and tv (basics, 20 channels, HD fee). Included in those 20channels were the US and Canadian networks).

Once OTA was set up, I was stunned that the picture quality was far superior to Cable (US and Canadian locals). FTA though I was really surprised. I really enjoyed the tech challenge, trial and errors etc and all the cool stuff to watch (can't wait to mounth the 6footer this spring).

The above, and streaming, plus on-demand for shows like Dexter and True Blood (this is for the GF), there is no need to pay high $$$ for tv service.

Cheers, K
Old 2012-02-22, 09:40 AM   #8
cyberham

I've been a closet satellite TV wannabee since the early 90s but never had the right situation to get involved. The push also came when my end of promotion cable service for TV, phone, Internet was going to hit $175/month. Remembering when cable TV used to be $5/month "a few years back"(!), I'd had enough.

My first FTA received after orienting the motor using ABC News Now and Ohio News, was TPAI from Angola on Telstar 12 at 15W. I think I audibly said "Wow!" to myself. I wasn't ready for even that SD digital quality. I guess my expectations were low being a long-time SWL DXer of weak static-covered radio signals.

Although the masses will always want pay TV as it is now, I wish FTA was much more mainstream. For example, every TV store should have POP displays pushing FTA. I think FTA can be an add-on to regular pay TV; it doesn't need to replace regular pay TV. The Internet is going to do that!
Old 2012-02-22, 09:52 AM   #9
tigwelder

When I started with my first 36 inch dish I wasnt expecting much and it was really only just a hobby,but I was pleasantly surprised by what was available out there .This led to more dishes and more channels and now it is my primary source for news,al jazeera,russia today,bbc world news and newhour on pbs,abc cbs, nbc on 103w and even the occasional cnn.I would like to see it become more mainstream here in north america like it is in europe but Im happy with what Im getting now and no more monthly bills!
Old 2012-02-22, 08:07 PM   #10
Emerald_Boar

We use 3 ku bands dishes feeding 2 tvs. (aimed at 97w, 83w & 72w)
Plus OTA and no subscripton tv. That gives us about 25 or so channels to watch. The system still does cost $2-$4 for hydro (electricity) each month. But not the $50+ month for subscription tv.

Hopefully, with permission I will be able to put C band aimed at galaxy 16. (+10 channels). Also i would like to approve our current Fta receiver with better one.

Read ya l8r,
Al
Old 2012-02-23, 07:52 PM   #11
mr shady

I use fta as a tv source i also have basic cable i only have due to the fact i install and have to update test equip i could care less if i have it as im not a fan of canadian programing i love fta ! and doesnt cost $$
Old 2012-03-13, 06:05 PM   #12
vondertrenk
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven View Post
How do you use FTA in your household? Primary means of television, secondary, or just for side-entertainment when there is nothing on?

As for myself:

I'd be 100% FTA, OTA and streaming if my GF didn't have a need to be entertained 24/7. She suffers from "channel surfing" withdrawal and admitted she can't watch tv in the basement (boo hoo hoo) so she never goes there.

Main living room: cable, PS3 (Hulu and Netflix)
Man Cave: Roku (hulu, netflix, Amazon VOD), FTA and OTA
Living room # 2: OTA and Xbox (hulu and netflix).

Once the 6 footer goes up, am more than happy. but she swears she needs OWN, W and A@E.

Point being, am quite curious how FTA is used in your household.

Cheers, K
Hi Kraven
Have you already installed the 1.80 C-Band dish?
Old 2012-03-13, 06:56 PM   #13
Kraven

Not yet.. the snow should be gone by the end of the week, then am going to let the ground settle before I dig. Im thinking early to mid May. I should order the actuator arm and vbox in April and pick up a 3" wide pole from Rona/Reno/wherever..

Cheers, K
Old 2012-03-14, 07:20 AM   #14
vondertrenk
Rookie

The only thing that stop me to cancel my TV subscription and focus purely in Free TV ( OTA, Sony Blue Ray with Google TV and Logitech REvuew, 1.2 mt offset with C/Ku LNB) is my kids, they love the Disney Channel and Gol Tv. Is there any other way to watch them withouit paying TV subscription? Please be aware: IKS or any other type of Pirate TV Inc., is not an option for me.