C Band on 1m dish - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Free to Air Satellite Television

Old 2012-02-22, 10:28 AM   #16
Kraven

If this is the article I have in mind (and emailed to me by a foruym member), then the results were minimal too.
Dr Sat mentioned for a mni bud to work, the allignment needs to be dead spot on. I didnt' have a signal meter so it was up and down the ladder the whole time.

Cheers, K
Kraven is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-22, 09:12 PM   #17
Cham

In my playing around with smaller C-band dishes, the smallest that seems to catch most of the stronger signals is 6'. Most satellite TPs will come in with an 8 footer, but if you want the HD high bitrate stuff you will need a 10' + reflector to be stable. A really good 8 footer (Andrews, Prodelin) with a near perfect parabola and feed horn/LNB will be as good as a run of the mill 10' TVRO dish & LNBF if you can find or afford one... Bigger is always better.
-C.
Old 2012-04-14, 03:21 PM   #18
HDTV Junkee

Just to follow up on my previous post, where I wanted to experiment a little with C-Band on a 90 cm Ku dish.

Dish 1 Ku (82, 85, Galaxy 17 (91) and 97 (RTP, AD Sport and C&W radio) all on one dish -- strong signals and TP for everything that I need.

Dish 2 Ku (same 90 cm) -- decided that I wanted to keep SES2 because of LPB and Patient Ch. Information -- so my experimentation with C-Band would be very, very limited.

For the main signal on dish 2, I added a C-Band with CS Ring. Located a TP within 5 minutes and fine-tuned it as best as I could. The quality moves from 47 to 56 for the Por.Rico mux (5 stations and one blank / scrambled -- #7). I think mine just say Ch 1,2,4,5,6, and 7. Enjoyed watching Shark Tank last night. Quality even with 15 mile winds today is still averaging 50.

Sometimes pixels appear, but very steady picture overall. This is with no winds and all clear (no rain affect). May keep for a while and enjoy. I guess for me, this was "success", although I respect others very much who have posted that dishes that small were never meant for C-Band. I tried.

Note:
I also found another KU signal to the left of SES2 (maybe 83 degrees west). I will need to fine tune when the winds die down here.
HDTV Junkee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-14, 04:11 PM   #19
majortom
Veteran

cool, yeah I'd call that a success. If for no other reason than to be able to say... and they said it couldn't be done...LOL. I can relate..
Old 2012-04-14, 09:14 PM   #20
tennative
Rookie

Interesting, I just phoned the sponser this past week and asked them if I could get SES2 on a 1.2 meter dish and they said no. I was interested in trying to get the METV affiliates from Chicago since WBBZ Buffalo is so problematic via OTA and they are on that satellite.
tennative is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-14, 09:25 PM   #21
majortom
Veteran

And they correctly answered you.
It wouldn't be a viable solution, and you wouldn't be a happy customer.
If you want to receive CBAND you need a CBAND dish.
Old 2012-04-16, 12:25 PM   #22
Classof83

Thanks for the list doc. I'll have to try this out again now that the warmer weather is here.
Classof83 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-16, 02:43 PM   #23
Kraven

Ah..this topic makes me cringe!

Seriously folks, there isn't *much* of a difference between 4 and 6 feet. On the other side, I can understand those who want to save a few bucks BUT that 100$ or so saved isnt worth the aggravation..imo!

Cheers, K
Old 2012-04-16, 03:44 PM   #24
Classof83

I'm doing it just to see if it's possible at all! I'm not overly interested in any specific channel out there, and I am pleased with what I can get via Ku, but I bought the conical scaler and C-band LNB just to expand my horizons and see if I can defeat the laws of physics!!!
Classof83 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-17, 08:18 AM   #25
kooguy

Code:
99W Galaxy 16 - Most transponders on this satellite should be receivable except the high FEC rate ABC feeds and KRBK FOX.
I have 3 Ku dish and have been looking into C-band dish for a while...

That info (99W) is very encouraging if I can do it via a 1.2m dish.

Thanks Dr.Sat!
kooguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-17, 08:33 AM   #26
majortom
Veteran

said it before and I'll say it again. An extreme example, but ya get the point.
Back in the 90's we had installed a 12 foot CBAND antenna on my friend's garage
(most content was still analog VC2+ back then).
Wish I had pictures, we took it down about 2 or 3 years later when he moved, but it worked like a champ.
So space in the city is not an excuse IMHO. Just have to use your imagination sometimes.
Old 2012-04-17, 09:26 AM   #27
cyberham

I've said it before too. For many people living in cities in townhouses or in detached houses on postage-stamp lots, it is impossible to consider even a Ku-band dish installation, let alone a C-band dish, due to restrictions from land use contracts. It is common for all outdoor antennas to be banned. This was even stated in a contract (where we never bought) in a new home contract for a house on a 1-acre lot in small city Halifax. Where my brother lives in the Vancouver area, he cannot even rearrange his shrubs in his own yard without permission from his coucil. This is the type of thing that killed C-band reception for the common guy along, of course, with the introduction of pizza dish and cable with their outrageous fees which the average guy seems to find perfectly acceptable for their TV reception.
Old 2012-04-17, 09:57 AM   #28
HDTV Junkee

So true are the stories about restrictions for smaller lots "adjustments" over in this area too, especially in townhouse complexes or Newer Condo buildings.

I wish my parents had committed back in the very late 80's early 90s for a C-Band dish -- it would still have much relevance for them today. For them, the reason was "cost" $5,500 Cdn fully installed (properly installed footings).

I think the dish that they were quoted on was about 10 feet, but I'm not exactly sure (wasn't living there at the time). In the end my parents used the money for a new car -- which they badly needed.

My parents have about 4 acres -- wide open space for a C-Band dish -- though lots of trees close to the house, which influences the OTA reception. They have 1960's Yagi's (VHF - UHF combos). But try to get them to cut down their 60 year old oaks and maples (just joking) -- well that's another story.

Actually my parents are so close to the 2,4,7 channel transmitters (within spitting distance) that I can pick them up with a bare wire (about 12 inches long).

Nevertherless, with the C-Band dish -- they would have had lots of enjoyment over the years and would likely have avoided spending about $600 last year to upgrade their Bell Sat. system.
HDTV Junkee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-17, 12:49 PM   #29
Kraven

[IMG][/IMG]Before I moved last summer, I lived in a townhouse ( IIRC, it was almost 6 blocks of townhouses). Someone next street over had a 6 foot (maybe 8ft) mesh dish on a 12 foot high post so he cleared the other building.

When buying the new house, I made sure I had enough room for a dish and an unobstructed view.

Point being, anything is possible.

Cheers, K

**tried to post a picture of the mounted dish without success** source: google earth
Old 2012-04-17, 09:26 PM   #30
majortom
Veteran

And I'd say one is nuts for signing any such agreement.
If it's your money paying the mortgage and taxes, then it's your property to do as you wish. If that's not the case I'd move in a heartbeat from any such gestapo environment. It is a free world, after all.

Rentals, condos, etc. that's another story.
When you move in to one of those you knew going in, and have to accept the consequences.

I certainly don't live in the sticks or anything, so I make do with what I have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.