Louisiana PBS Symbol rate change - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Free to Air Satellite Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-02-20, 07:05 PM   #31
cyberham

Tonight I am receiving LPB2 and LPB3 the best in the last 2 or 3 months. Both are solid with only occasional break in the video. LPBHD is clear audio but no video. Yet the RF signal seems not to be any stronger than any other time. Hard to understand why reception is considerably better today than usual.
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-20, 08:10 PM   #32
majortom
Veteran

http://beta.lpb.org/index.php/site/satellite/

I wonder if they removed this adjacent signal, at 11800 H 1250??
They were testing that I think to see how much pain ya had to go through to receive
low symbol rate signals, adjacent to a wider one. Suspect that's why they changed
symbol rates to begin with, to make room for the adjacent low symbol rate signal.

I was able to lock the low symbol rate signal the other day, but couldn't decode anything useful from it. It may still be there, I will look for it again in a bit. But right now LPBS looks fine here. Anyone else able to lock that 1250 guy?
Old 2012-02-20, 08:18 PM   #33
cyberham

I think they're doing something, or something has changed. Do you see clear video on LPBHD? I've never had trouble getting LPBHD when the other two sigs were there. Both LPB2 and LPB3 crystal clear now: no breakup at all. But tonight only audio on the HD.

Added: Re-scanned and now video on LPBHD is perfect. Hope LPB remains like this.

Last edited by cyberham; 2012-02-20 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Re-scanned: LPBHD video perfect now
Old 2012-02-20, 08:52 PM   #34
majortom
Veteran

Yes, all 3 channels are solid, video and audio look fine, no errors in stream.
Should be all kinds of margin available. I'm receiving it at almost 13 dB SNR here , and it won't fail until ~ 5.5 dB SNR with a SR of 11150, 8PSK at FEC 3/5.
Are you seeing the CNN HD Feed at 11960 H 29270? Ya should it's even stronger and only DVB-S / QPSK.

LPBS Constellation

SES 2 Horizontal rfscan
Old 2012-02-21, 08:07 AM   #35
cyberham

Default Constellation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
...Are you seeing the CNN HD Feed at 11960 H 29270?...
The CNN feed is always strong and visible here since it first appeared ITC. My stations to check to know if reception conditions are good are LPB, Pentagon, and Huntington Beach cams. All of these were visible and strong last night; maybe the cold, clear air was a factor. I always wonder how much the humid maritime environment and temperature swings affect all of this. It dropped to -10 degrees last night.

I really have no idea what a constellation diagram shows or is for. The Constellation was a cool Studebaker made in the 50's.
Old 2012-02-21, 08:40 PM   #36
majortom
Veteran

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constellation_diagram

that should help explain what a constellation diagram is.
Basically if you plot the I & Q signals demodulated from a Phase Shift Modulated signal
like QPSK, 8PSK the more intense the dots are the better the quality the signal is.
I.e if the dots for each quadrant are scattered around more (i.e. noisy) that's indicative of a worse signal than if the dots are all concentrated in the exact same same spot (perfect world ideal case which of course never happens).
Old 2012-03-09, 08:59 PM   #37
cyberham

Combination of tweaking the dish today and conditions has made LPB strongest ever. Peaking up to 35% on this DVB-S2 is remarkable here. SES 2 blind scan brought in interesting stuff tonight.