Rogers and Shaw Launching SHOMI streaming video - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2014-08-26, 08:44 AM   #1
thenewdc
Veteran

Default Rogers and Shaw Launching SHOMI streaming video

http://globalnews.ca/news/1527031/ro...aming-service/

11,000 hours of content, movies, shows, first run content. Will be available initially in beta only to Rogers and SHAW customers.
It will be streamed over IP to set top boxes, tablets, Xbox, smartphones, etc.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-08-26 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Fixed Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2014-08-26, 09:06 AM   #2
gdkitty

Likely will need an IP capable set top box for it then?

I know the NB3 is.. not sure if the 8642 or the 4642 are? Definitely nothing old likely.

Looks like this MAY do ok.. might give a lot of serious competition to Netflix in Canada... look like they DO have the content, comparably to Netflix.
Old 2014-08-26, 09:38 AM   #3
Dr.Dave

Default Shaw Press Release

shomi what I’m missing: New streaming service to deliver superior user experience and most popular content to Canadians, this fall

Tired of the endless scrolling? Team of entertainment experts hand pick recommendations for you

Tired of watching outdated series? More than 11,000 hours of past seasons of the most popular TV shows

TORONTO/CALGARY, August 26, 2014 – shomi, a new subscription video-on-demand service, ups the ante in entertainment with the latest, most exclusive shows and selections personalized for you. Available initially on tablet, mobile, online, Xbox 360 and set top boxes, shomi will launch in beta first to Rogers and Shaw Internet or TV customers. shomi will be available starting the first week of November at a suggested retail price of $8.99 per month.

shomi was created for entertainment lovers by entertainment lovers. It features prior seasons of the most popular shows on TV today, iconic series from the past, cult-classic and fan-favourite films, as well as a library of family-friendly kids programming. With exclusive past-season streaming rights to titles – such as Modern Family, Sons of Anarchy, Sleepy Hollow, Shameless, 2 Broke Girls, Vikings, New Girl, 24: Live Another Day, Chicago Fire, The Strain, and American Horror Story – along with first-window premieres, it’s more bang, less blah. shomi combines a team of programming experts with algorithmic technology to help you pick what you actually want to watch – whether it’s finding hidden gems, rediscovering old favourites, or remembering why you fell in love with a title in the first place.

“We’ve taken the time to talk with Canadians to find out what they want and to create an unbelievable user experience,” said Keith Pelley, President, Rogers Media. “They told us loud and clear – they want all the past seasons of the most popular, current TV shows and they want it to be easy. shomi takes the guesswork out of finding what to watch, acting like a new-age video clerk serving up all the best content based on individual viewing habits.”

“We keenly understand the media landscape is rapidly changing and that viewers are looking for greater flexibility when it comes to what they watch and how they watch it,” said Barbara Williams, Senior Vice President, Content, Shaw Media. “shomi is our first step into the new world of content streaming and we’re so pleased to be able to bring this made in Canada service to the market.”

shomi the numbers (and this is just at launch, with much more exciting content to come!):
  • 14,000 episodes and titles
  • 11,000 hours of TV shows
  • 1,200 movies
  • 340 TV series
  • 30% of content is Canadian, including TV shows and classic films
Enhanced features include trailers and factoids for movie titles to help customers make their selections, while a visually appealing interface delivers a theatrical experience. With up to six profiles per account, shomi offers a great solution for the connected home, as customers can watch on two devices and their set top boxes – all at the same time.

Additional details about the product, programming, and distribution will be announced in the coming weeks.

shomi is a joint venture owned equally by Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications. shomi will operate as a standalone entity with its own management structure.
http://www.shawmedia.ca/Media/PressR...eId=6442459243

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-08-26 at 04:44 PM. Reason: format
Old 2014-08-26, 10:03 AM   #4
smallmj

So when the Beta is over will it be available to customers of other ISPs? Will a television subscription be required? If the answers to these questions is wrong, then the owners are short sighted and the service will fail.

Mark
Old 2014-08-26, 10:22 AM   #5
LONSat

Interesting that is Shaw and Rogers teaming up. Bell talked up setting up a service like this when they made their first attempt for Astral. Wonder if Bell and Rogers had any discussions. Would the NHL contract have poisoned the well for any such joint venture between Bell and Rogers.
Old 2014-08-26, 10:35 AM   #6
thenewdc
Veteran

I'm sure it will be available to everyone once the Beta is over. I see no point in offering to just Rogers and SHAW customers only, although i can see Rogers/SHAW customers get some pricing benefits over non-customers. Just speculating.
Old 2014-08-26, 11:45 AM   #7
Dr.Dave

Here's the web site for future reference: www.shomi.com. They have a 4 minute promo video that shows the interface and features, although the first minute made me want to gag.

It makes sense for Rogers and Shaw to team up, since they don't really compete against each other. Their cable territories don't overlap and there is probably only a small competitive impact of Shaw Direct on Rogers Cable. I wonder if Bell will continue to develop it's own service. It probably makes more sense to have one Canadian provider to compete against Netflix, rather than having a fragmented environment where some services will have exclusive rights to certain shows and movies.

It will be interesting to see which STBs Rogers and Shaw will support. If they include a large part of their installed base, that could simplify access for those cable subscribers that don't have Netflix-compatible devices on every TV. Rogers and Shaw will keep their Rogers On Demand and Global Go services.

Shomi will remain in beta for the first six to 12 months, before it is available to other subscribers in Canada.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-08-26 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added video info
Old 2014-08-26, 12:08 PM   #8
thenewdc
Veteran

The Nextbox 3 has IPTV capabilities as well as a built in Docsis 3 modem. I'm sure they'll install an App on the Rogers boxes to access the service.
Old 2014-08-26, 12:46 PM   #9
Francois Caron
Veteran

I'll probably take them seriously only when the "SHOMI" button starts showing up on remote controls next to the "NETFLIX" button.
Old 2014-08-26, 01:35 PM   #10
tvmaster

Hmmm, regarding Rogers partnerships, how's the Rogers/Bell thing working with MLSE?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/roge...homi-1.2747057
Old 2014-08-26, 02:06 PM   #11
gdkitty

@smallmj

This is kinda answered on the SHOMI website Dr Dave posted.

Looks like rogers/shaw customers ONLY first for the BETA for it, then opened up.
But it says, at least initially, that a Rogers TV OR internet account required.
So no, wouldn't need a TV sub.

Obviously, once they open it up to others, that wouldn't require anything.
(other than for the streaming through the rogers box, would require a TV sub :P)
Old 2014-08-26, 02:11 PM   #12
Rogers_Chris
Corporate Supporter

It’s in beta first to Rogers and Shaw Internet or TV customers. We’ll look at distribution as we learn from the beta.
Old 2014-08-26, 02:26 PM   #13
buckycat

It was funny on the Global morning news they were talking about it, and one of the anchors said something to the effect that it seems to duplicate what is already available with Shaw on demand.
Old 2014-08-26, 03:04 PM   #14
audacity
Veteran

Well, it appears that they're doing the right thing. I only have one question: when I watch a TV show on shomi (e.g. 30 Rock), will I need to watch advertising like Hulu, or will it be ad-free like Netflix?

In the tag line:

Quote:
Tired of watching outdated series? More than 11,000 hours of past seasons of the most popular TV shows
What makes a series outdated? Because there is a Season 5 of Modern Family, does that mean Season 4 is outdated? The reason I ask is that it appears the latest seasons won't be on Shomi, so doesn't that make all their content outdated in the same sense that Netflix content is outdated? At least Hulu has new TV content available within days after it's original air date.

Either way, this is a big win for streaming video services and it'll only hasten the demise of traditional proprietary BDU networks. I know they're saying that "oh, it's complimentary to Shaw Go, blah blah", but at this price level their mainstream cable subscriptions are getting less and less appealing.

If it's not available via the internet (i.e. if they tie it to a cable sub) then it's dead. Plus, Netflix is such a massive competitor now, it'll take a lot of effort on Shomi's part to be able to play in the same league. I skimmed the Q&A video, but so far all I'm getting is that it's a "me too" service. They keep mentioning that their user interface will be great, but I really question whether they can go toe-to-toe with Netflix on the software development front. The Netflix client software is everywhere - hell, it's built into most TVs.

They're talking as if they see Netflix in their rear view mirror; little do they know that they're about to get lapped.
Old 2014-08-26, 03:19 PM   #15
sherds

It would be nice to have a listing of what is going to be available .The promo website is very sparse .They do mention some Fx shows which could be a draw for those that do not subscribe (not sure if netflix has these). If they have a lot of interesting series from the Uk and Australia that i can't get now then i might find it of interest .