Discovery World to become Discovery Velocity Feb. 12, 2015 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2015-01-13, 12:44 PM   #1
Dr.Dave

Default Discovery World to become Discovery Velocity Feb. 12, 2015

Quote:
Discovery World is shifting gears to become Discovery Velocity, beginning Thursday, Feb. 12. Discovery announced today that the ultimate insiders club for viewers with a thirst for adventure debuts with an extended 48-day national freeview from Feb. 12 – March 31. As Canada’s only home for Factual Turbo programming, Discovery Velocity drives the passion for all things automotive, along with diverse travel, survival, and cultural world content. Canadians are also invited to take Discovery Velocity out for an online test-drive when DiscoveryWorld.ca becomes DiscoveryVelocity.ca, offering interactive online features beginning Monday, Feb. 2.

“The decision to rebrand to Discovery Velocity is motivated by our viewers’ desire for Factual Turbo programming on our channels, a gap in the Canadian marketplace, and proven success for the brand outside the country,” said Paul Lewis, President and General Manager, Discovery. “Already exploring life’s amazing journeys through travel and culture, it’s a natural fit for the service to offer the best in automotive –one of the world’s most revolutionary inventions – all at one destination.”

The exclusive Canadian home to hundreds of hours of live broadcasts of BARRETT-JACKSON, the world’s leading collector car auctions,Discovery Velocity takes off with premieres of all-new seasons of WHEELER DEALERS, WHAT’S IN THE BARN, CHASING CLASSIC CARS, CLASSIC CAR RESCUE and AMERICARNA, as well as such “classics” as PATRICK DEMPSEY: RACING LE MANS, and INSIDE WEST COAST CUSTOMS. Additionally, Discovery Velocity will be the one-stop auto shop for all of Discovery’s Factual Turbo programming, including CANADA’S WORST DRIVER, LAST CAR STANDING, DON’T DRIVE HERE, HOW IT’S MADE: DREAM CARS, and more. All of these join existing channel favourites like DUAL SURVIVAL and WATERFRONT CITIES OF THE WORLD.
Press Release.

Discovery Velocity primetime programming grid
Dr.Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2015-01-13, 03:32 PM   #2
Inglewood

Too bad it is changing format - where else am I going to get 5 year old content on a repeating cycle.....oh wait, 50% of the other channels I'm forced to subscribe to do that still...
Inglewood is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-13, 03:39 PM   #3
skifan

What exactly is "Factual Turbo" anyway? Can we expect a "Fake Turbo" theme on a competing channel soon?
skifan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-13, 05:57 PM   #4
Tridus

Sounds like a bunch of reality show reruns about cars. Might be interesting if it was a racing channel, but meh.
Tridus is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-13, 07:40 PM   #5
Blintok

well looks like i save myself $6 next month. Not interested in the new format. So which viewers wrote in asking for "factual turbo"? lol
I could pare my 9theme to 6theme if they would put H2 where it belongs (in same theme as history)
Blintok is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-13, 09:32 PM   #6
jayoldschool
Veteran

I'm optimistic. The US feed has lots of shows we don't get. Really glad that they have picked up the full coverage of Barrett-Jackson as a precursor to the launch of Velocity.
jayoldschool is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-13, 11:50 PM   #7
mdmenzel
Rookie

I'm confused. Isn't this what Speed Network used to be?
mdmenzel is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-14, 12:11 PM   #8
jayoldschool
Veteran

Not really. SPEEDVISION was originally a primarily motorsports channel. Evolving, SPEED was still focused on motorsports, with transportation-themed programming. When SPEED was purchased by Fox, it picked up a lot of NASCAR overflow (qualifying, etc) that Fox didn't show on their main net, and the quantity of international/obscure motorsports coverage on SPEED dropped.

Velocity will be transportation-themed, without live motorsports coverage. However, I think they have the perfect opportunity to pick up coverage of events that don't air in Canada. Like the current Dakar!
Old 2015-01-14, 01:14 PM   #9
HarvesterOfEars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
...Velocity will be transportation-themed, without live motorsports coverage. However, I think they have the perfect opportunity to pick up coverage of events that don't air in Canada...
Yep, the US version of Velocity appears to have a very minimal amount of racing, yet that programming grid for this Canadian version and the description Bell provides seems to specifically avoid it.
And that silly phrase they used to describe this channel's genre of programming also made me laugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
Sounds like a bunch of reality show reruns about cars. Might be interesting if it was a racing channel, but meh.
If this or some other niche channel wanted to pick up all the racing available on TV in the US (and much of the rest of the world for that matter, but not in Canada) seen on CBS Sports Network, NBCSN, Fox Sports 1 and 2, MavTV, and the US Discovery Velocity, then that might be a worthwhile channel.
HarvesterOfEars is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-14, 02:04 PM   #10
Dr.Dave

Discovery World is not allowed to carry any sports broadcasts (category 6). Velocity will be operating under the same licence.

Conditions of licence for the specialty Category B service Discovery World HD

Quote:
2. (a) The licensee shall provide a national English-language high definition specialty Category B service devoted to science and technology, nature and the environment, adventure, animal behaviour, pet care, wildlife, travel and world cultures.

(b) The programming shall be drawn exclusively from the following categories set out in item 6 of Schedule I to the Specialty Services Regulations, 1990, as amended from time to time:

1 News
2(a) Analysis and interpretation
(b) Long-form documentary
3 Reporting and actualities
5(a) Formal education and pre-school
(b) Informal education/Recreation and leisure
7 Drama and comedy
(a) Ongoing drama series
(b) Ongoing comedy series (sitcoms)
(c) Specials, mini-series or made-for-TV feature films
(d) Theatrical feature films aired on TV
(e) Animated television programs and films
(f) Programs of comedy sketches, improvisations, unscripted works, stand-up
comedy
(g) Other drama
10 Game shows
11(a) General entertainment and human interest
(b) Reality television
12 Interstitials
13 Public service announcements
14 Infomercials, promotional and corporate videos

(c) No more than 15% of all programming broadcast during each broadcast week shall be drawn from category 7.
Old 2015-01-14, 03:31 PM   #11
jayoldschool
Veteran

There are plenty of races/motorsports that would fit in the "technology, nature and the environment, adventure, travel and world cultures" aspects of the license.
Old 2015-01-14, 05:34 PM   #12
Dr.Dave

The problem is all the races/motorsports would be classified in category 6, which they aren't allowed to carry.
Old 2015-01-15, 08:55 PM   #13
oldcarguy

I am a car nut and love the Barrett Jackson, with Velocity now here I don't need to put up with the annoying repetitive commercials Speed Channel has. I welcome Velocity!
oldcarguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-15, 09:27 PM   #14
reidw
Veteran

This change to DW has been going on for quite some time. At one time it was a great source of HD programming. Today with almost all specialty/cable channels in HD it has lost its reason for existing. Its current programming has no appeal to me. I'll be dropping it from my Bell TV subscription. I'd bet that I'm not alone in doing so.
reidw is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-19, 09:54 PM   #15
Viper550

Well, this is fitting.

As you know, this channel used to be Discovery HD Theater. The U.S. version of HD Theater is what turned into Velocity up there.

Theoretically, could they had made a Velocity capable of showing sports into a "feed" of TSN?

Last edited by Viper550; 2015-01-19 at 10:16 PM.
Viper550 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
discovery velocity, discovery world hd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.