The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2005-09-22, 05:33 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread

Welcome to The Official I hate the CRTC Thread!

Since so many members take it upon themselves to complain about the CRTC, especially in threads that have nothing to with the CRTC, we thought we would create this thread.

Rules of the Forum say that we delete threads or posts that say this company sucks or that person sucks or the government sucks because they servce no purpose and seldom add any value, however, we are going to wave that rule in this thread!

(Please note that legitimate complaints that actually describe customer service problems and point out potential issues and/or solutions, warn people of legitimate issues, or engage people in meaningful discussion are always welcome in all forums!)

But back to the CRTC.

Here's your chance to let it out! and even say things like "the crtc sucks!"

So here it is, the place to bash the CRTC and not have your post deleted!

(of course the bulk of the rules of this forum still apply here!)

Hope you Enjoy!

Last edited by hugh; 2005-09-23 at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-09-22, 06:39 PM   #2
Mole
Veteran

The CRTS Suckkkkssss!!!

Wow I really feel better

Thanks Hugh
Old 2005-09-22, 08:55 PM   #3
junglee

The CRTC sucks and is a complete and utter waste of tax payer dollars...
Old 2005-09-22, 10:01 PM   #4
FortMacDude

Communists
Ruling
The
Country...

Nuff said
Old 2005-09-23, 08:38 AM   #5
Twilight Cowboy

There is no doubt that the CRTC is rotten to the core. All one has to do is look at the "Today's Releases" for the past month.

What have these Liberal party ex carpetbaggers been doing? Nothing more than extending the launch dates for approved but never launched Category 2 channels. Some of these never launched channels were approved as far back as 2000. They will never be launched as no provider will ever pick them up in a 1000 years.

Yet the HDNet and Discovery applications just keep gathering dust. Remember all the interventions that DHC members posted. The CRTC is a complete waste of the taxpayers money - just another example of rampant Liberal party corruption.

BTW notice how I didn't mention that ex BCE lawyer, now CRTC Chairman Charles Dalfren, didn't excuse himself from the satellite radio approval process - even though he used to sit on the Board of Directors of Sirius.
Old 2005-09-23, 09:58 AM   #6
new-guy

I was thinking about Much Music this morning and the demise of MTV canada...
Basically we dont have a realy MTV or VH1 because CRTC wont allow it. This is to protect the fragile MM channel....
BUT, if MM is so fragile that it cant take competition, why has CHUM been able to sell the MM format to other countries??? If i am not wrong there is a Mexican version of MM and there are some euro versions of it also... If the format is strong enough to be exported, why is it not strong enough to withstand competition in Canada????????
Old 2005-09-23, 10:50 AM   #7
Arthur Dent
Veteran

In MTV's case the CRTC can't be blamed. It was allowed to Canada and existed for 4 years, I think. MTV USA decided to withdraw its brand name after CHUM purchased thier Canadian partner.
BTW, I don't know why people still associate MTV with music. This teenage network stopped showing music long time ago and is now dedicated only to the crappiest of the crappy reality shows. I'm probably the biggest music television fan out there, but I stopped watching this joke long time ago and don't miss it at all.
Old 2005-09-23, 03:29 PM   #8
lprice99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Cowboy
Yet the HDNet and Discovery applications just keep gathering dust.
The American Discovery HD Theater application was sitting around collecting dust until CTV partnered with Discovery to launch the Canadian version of the channel. The Canadian version of Discovery HD Theater is sure to be approved by the CRTC sooner rather than later because of this. The American Discovery HD Theater application will likely be disregarded as soon as the CRTC decides to approve the Canadian version of the channel.

The HDNet application continues to sit in limbo.

Last edited by lprice99; 2005-09-23 at 03:35 PM.
Old 2005-09-23, 03:37 PM   #9
WQP

I personally wish the CRTC would keep it's nose out of telling us what we can & can't watch. Now for OTA stuff, obviously you need someone to regulate frequency usage, but they've gone too far in enforcing Canadian content...if Canadian content is good enough it will exist on its own merit. They should allocate bandwidth and then stay out of our faces!

I hope they don't decide that they should regulate IPTV sometime down the road -that should forever remain non of their business!

edit: Oh yeah I forgot - if we want US satellites, that should also be our business. As long as the US (or wherever) satellite boxes we might buy aren't emitting all sorts of crazy EM interference or something it shouldn't be their business what we buy and who we pay.
Old 2005-09-23, 05:11 PM   #10
os

I wish CRTC would just go away. When I remember that my tax money are used to pay for those bureaucrats and they have the power to dictate what I can watch on TV, I'm thinking that there are some serious problems with our corporate-controlled democracy.
Old 2005-09-24, 01:24 PM   #11
kcbrk32

C = Conspiracy to
R = Ruin
T = Telecommunications for
C = Canadians

We don't need a bunch of bureaucrats that keep HBO and DirecTV out of Canada and insist of shoveling CanCon on radio and TV. Spend the money on health care and fix the pot holes instead.
Old 2005-09-24, 05:32 PM   #12
Stagger

Between the growing prevalence of broadband access, and the growing availability of TV over IP, and just plain download of TV shows via numerous P2P methods, the CRTC will soon be a powerless entity. But I’m willing to bet that it will continue to be a big waste of tax money for years to come.

Stagger
Old 2005-09-25, 09:26 AM   #13
StanleySparker

Damn, I hate simsubbing with a passion!
My dream is to one day never see CTV, Global / CH, Omni, or some of the CHUM stations on any US network ever again!
The CRTC has to force these Canadian stations to come up with 100 percent origianl programming!!! I know it'll never happen, but one can hope.
Old 2005-09-25, 10:04 AM   #14
e268

I hate to be different. Please forgive me. CRTC did a good job for me in stopping Bell from charging me touch tone service, i.e., Bell forced me to switch from dial pulse to touch tone and crtc helped me to stop them. Thanks, crtc.
Old 2005-09-25, 10:08 AM   #15
james99

Well, people bitched about the rotary issue big time and Bell eventually backed down.