Horror Channel In Canada? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-02-08, 05:17 PM   #1
howlinwolf
Rookie

Default Horror Channel In Canada?

I recently heard that dusk(formerly scream) which wasn't really horror anymore will be dropped from bell. I think alot of people would like and dont understand why there wouldn't be a horror channel in Canada.
Is there any talk Canada could get a US horror channel Like Chiller or Fearnet
or mabe an original channel?
howlinwolf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-08, 06:40 PM   #2
PFD

Dusk used to be Scream, which (like so many of the Digital Channels) was pretty good for the first five-six months. Then it started to recycle the same old shite endlessly (like so many of the Digital Channels). I don't think I've flipped even close to that channel in a long time. I won't miss it.
PFD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-08, 10:18 PM   #3
musimax

The closest thing we have to a horror channel in Canada right now is The Cult Movie Network. It rebranded recently to focus more on a wider variety of low budget cult films, but relies very heavily on horror films (before it rebranded earlier this month, pretty much all their films were low budget horror films), although from my understanding, the films are pretty low budget B-movie stuff, as of yet, no Hollywood blockbuster horror films.

However, the channel is only carried by MTS TV in Manitoba.
musimax is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-09, 12:21 AM   #4
mismag

Apparently Dusk is being shut down completely and being replaced by ABC Spark.
mismag is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-09, 01:32 AM   #5
SMCKINNON24

That hasnt been confirmed yet of DUSK/Scream is being rebranded as ABC SPARK
Old 2012-02-09, 01:43 AM   #6
mike10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCKINNON24 View Post
That hasnt been confirmed yet of DUSK/Scream is being rebranded as ABC SPARK
they are not rebranding dusk it is being shut down and then cable and then TV providers will be replacing it with ABC spark which is using a brand new license

corus also did that with discovery kids they shut it down and replaced it with Nickelodeon
mike10 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-09, 01:59 AM   #7
SMCKINNON24

Talking

I just checked the website of Corus Entertainment and there is no press release or any mention of Corus shutting down the channel.

You also have to remember DUSK is also a SHAW Media Channel, I doubt it going to be shutdown.

I think ABC Spark will go on a previous license that they previously was granted for them to launch on March 26
Old 2012-02-09, 02:10 AM   #8
SMCKINNON24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike10 View Post
they are not rebranding dusk it is being shut down and then cable and then TV providers will be replacing it with ABC spark which is using a brand new license

corus also did that with discovery kids they shut it down and replaced it with Nickelodeon
There is no confirmed Press Release or source of this information that it will be shut down! If thats the case there will been something showing up on our IPG saying

" Effective March 26, 2012 DUsk will no longer be available for customers " until this happens or a press release this is * unconfirmed * information
Old 2012-02-09, 02:10 AM   #9

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCKINNON24
DUSK is also a SHAW Media Channel, I doubt it (SIC) going to be shutdown.
You may listen to SMCKINNON24, or perhaps someone in the know like bigoranget:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...49#post1384149
Old 2012-02-09, 02:21 AM   #10
SMCKINNON24

There is no official press release or news that this will occur of shutting down DUSK. If they would have planned to do that Rogers would had the info updates like they did with HDNET and others giving customers info of pending dropping of channel from their lineup.

I'm writing to Corus Entertainment Media Department, to see if there is any truth to this information as soon as I have VALID and confirmed news I will post with source.
Old 2012-02-09, 06:11 AM   #11
David1953

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)

I, too, am saddened that there is no true Horror channel in Canada, and miss the old days when Scream was on the air. This is also new news to me that Dusk is being replaced by ABC Spark.

I didn't even know a channel like The Cult Movie Network even existed until now, and now it's time to do a Google search on it, and find out if it is worth asking my cable company to carry.
David1953 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-09, 11:57 AM   #12
jeffaustin90

Why would Dusk be replaced by ABC Spark in the first place? (On Cogeco at least, ) Dusk is grouped with the other movie channels (Showcase Action, etc.) and is part of a More Movies theme pack. Putting ABC Spark right slab in the middle of that group of channels and theme pack doesn't make any sense.

If anything, ABC Spark would be a new channel number, and grouped with similar family/kid themed digital channels like Nickelodeon, Teletoon Retro, Disney XD, etc.
jeffaustin90 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-09, 01:34 PM   #13
gretzky

providers should ask the crtc to bring Fearnet to Canada
gretzky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-09, 01:56 PM   #14
David1953

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)

What a great suggestion, gretzky! On a couple of my visits to the USA, one of my favourite channels was Fearnet, which was offered as an on demand service with Comcast, and it was awesome! (a ton of horror movies, all for free, commercial free, in HD on that service)

I don't think it will ever happen, though.
David1953 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-09, 04:56 PM   #15
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

On the Topic of Horror, there is actually I believe two other Horror Channels licensed but haven't launched. I'm not even sure if their licenses are still valid or not? From the CRTC Digital Specialty Channels.
MCIBUS is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.