New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2012-01-26, 05:36 PM   #106

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I never surf since it takes too long to change channels. I always use the guide. I suspect they are pushing the limits of the STB capabilities and are eliminating options that most people don't use. They may be added in if they are found necessary.
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-26, 08:38 PM   #107
yyzlhr

So after reviewing some information I've gotten from some inside sources, if your Cisco 4642 and 8642 are not in the system under the HYBRID product code, the update may not be pushed to you. My area is schedule to receive the update on Jan 30 and my account has my Cisco boxes under the non hybrid code so I'll report back on whether I actually receive the update or not.

Making changes to your TV service however, will FORCE the rep to migrate your Cisco boxes to the hybrid code. So if you're hoping to not receive the update, I would suggest refraining from making any changes to your tv services at this time.
Old 2012-01-26, 08:53 PM   #108
ryandude_12345

How did you find out when the update will be coming to your area?
Old 2012-01-26, 09:00 PM   #109
yyzlhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandude_12345 View Post
How did you find out when the update will be coming to your area?
Rogers has an internal schedule of when certain neighbourhoods will be getting the update. Any frontline CSR or retail rep can access this schedule.
Old 2012-01-26, 09:23 PM   #110
viking5000

What is a HYBRID product code ?

Last edited by 57; 2012-01-26 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
Old 2012-01-26, 09:42 PM   #111
timberland29

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzlhr View Post
So after reviewing some information I've gotten from some inside sources, if your Cisco 4642 and 8642 are not in the system under the HYBRID product code....
Is this the reason why only one of my 8642's has received the update?

Last edited by 57; 2012-01-26 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Quote Shortened
Old 2012-01-26, 09:49 PM   #112
yyzlhr

Prior to the enhancement, reps could use one of two codes in the billing and provisioning system to add an HD terminal to your account.

HD Terminal Rental/Purchase and HD PVR Rental/Purchase Codes would work with both SA and Cisco boxes.

There is also a product code in the system called HD Hybrid Terminal Rental/Purchase and HD Hybrid PVR Rental/Purchase. These codes ONLY work with Cisco equipment.

If your Cisco HD terminal or HDPVR was issued under the non hybrid code, you may not receive the update according to what I've been told.

My Cisco equipment is issued under the non-Hybrid code and my area is scheduled for the update on Jan 30, so I'll report back on whether I've been spared from this upgrade. It may also explain why, I didn't receive any letters from Rogers regarding the upgrade, despite the fact that I've had Cisco equipment for almost 6 months now.

If this is in fact true, it may be helpful for others to know, as they should refrain from making changes to their cable TV services if they don't want the new IPG, as any changes would force reps to migrate all cisco equipment to the hybrid product codes.
Old 2012-01-26, 09:53 PM   #113
yyzlhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberland29 View Post
Is this the reason why only one of my 8642's has received the update?
That could be why. Wouldn't be able to tell unless someone looked into your account. If you're really curious, you can call customer service and ask what product codes are listed on your account and the serial number associated with those codes.
Old 2012-01-26, 11:22 PM   #114
timberland29

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzlhr View Post
That could be why. Wouldn't be able to tell unless someone looked into your account. If you're really curious, you can call customer service and ask what product codes are listed on your account and the serial number associated with those codes.
thanks. Ill just wait to see if I get the update eventually. On second thought maybe I dont want the update on yet another tv lol.
Old 2012-01-26, 11:23 PM   #115
timberland29

Default Told to call tech support

Just spoke to retention's about cancelling my service and switching to bell. I was told to call tech support and tell them about my issues. I was also told to write a letter or email to rogers voicing all my issues.
Old 2012-01-27, 06:47 AM   #116
MowerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemankent View Post
- Once again, there is NO MEMORY of where you are in your show if you happen to hit stop, tune to Live TV, or do something else - and want to "continue" viewing your show. It starts you AT THE BEGINNING again - forcing you to deal with the FFwding to wherever you can remember that you left off.
This one's odd to me - because bookmarking is working fine on my unit, even if nothing else is. There's even a little square icon next to every partially-started recording that indicates whether you're a bit into it, in the middle, or near the end.

Frankly, I would have been happy to see these new features integrated into the old crummy interface (except for the guide - it needed to be widescreen). I get the feeling that a lot of this is due to a slower and more bloated operating system (is it no longer using SARA?), merged with a demanding interface that makes use of too many transparent graphic overlays, and ends up pushing the rendering engine beyond what it can cope with. I do note that it feels SLIGHTLY faster in 720p versus 1080i.

I'm very aware of UI design on low-end hardware, and in many cases even if something is technically capable of doing something, it's often unwise to actually do it. For example, I know of one device which would work with PNG transparencies, but for example if you had a transparent PNG and an animated GIF on top of each other, the rendering engine would come to an unusable crawl.
Old 2012-01-27, 07:16 AM   #117
wprager

Could it not simply be a case of "make it work, then make usable"? Pushing s/w features out on an unhealthy schedule often leaves "minor" stuff like performance tuning and optimization until the end. There could also be a ton of diagnostic code left turned on (writing out logs and such)
Old 2012-01-27, 09:40 AM   #118
BassLake

"make it work, then make usable"

Days gone by unfortunately. Polishing turds is the name of the game these days.
Old 2012-01-27, 12:29 PM   #119
flaminghomer

Make it work, then make usable, but above all, MAKE IT CHEAP.

The sad reality is that if Rogers is like most companies (and IMO, they are worse than most companies), the first consideration for any these issues will likely be cost.

Last edited by flaminghomer; 2012-01-27 at 12:30 PM. Reason: better wording
Old 2012-01-27, 10:40 PM   #120
icemankent

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberland29 View Post
I have also noticed there is no longer the hd setup wizard which used to come up when pressing guide and info when the pvr is powered off.
Yes, I have noticed that - the ability to set up the pvr by pressing guide+info with the power off is now gone.

Also gone is the ability to go into all the service screens by tuning to a channel, holding down "select" until the mail icon lights up, then pressing "info"...

I suppose they did not want anyone accessing the unit with any "backdoor" key sequences on the new firmware.

This sucks, as I wanted to get in there to verify what my firmware revision was, so I could check it daily to see if/when it gets updated - which would allow me to look for any improvements/fixes if the rev. level is different.

If anyone figures out how to (now) access those service screens, please post in here.

(Now I'm wondering if they have locked-down your ability to upgrade your hard drive in the pvr - on this new firmware.....)

As another update, I have noticed no improvements yet - and both my 8642's spontaneously reboot once in a while for no apparent reason.