New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Page 60 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2012-04-24, 08:31 PM   #886
MarkyMarc43
Rookie

Default Hiding Channels and Channel Power on

Hi 57 and thanks. I have found your input insightful over the years particularly as I recall, the SA 8300HD. Most of this technical stuff is not new to me.

I haven't experienced most of the issues I have read through this entire thread, so I feel fortunate.

I did do both of what you suggested and I have cleared all hidden channels hoping to go back to what I had working before, however power-on channel is still stuck on 7 even though it says 518 or more accurately (HCTVO). Interestng to note that these are in fact both the same channel, but I haven't looked below 500 in a few years now, and would prefer not to.

Not particularly a deal-breaker for me as it is only a few keys to get to 518. Was just hoping to have the same convenience I had with the above mentioned STB.

As an aside, I happen to think that the IPG is a vast improvement over the previous 80's looking one. Furthermore, I might also add that - as early adopters of new technology such as HDTV - people really need to keep in mind that there are bound to be issues. These do get worked out over time in large part to people such as in these forums.

Last edited by MarkyMarc43; 2012-04-24 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-24, 10:07 PM   #887
m3repair

Its going to be a few years before I bother switching to the new Guide, until a lot of those kinks are worked out in the software it isn't worth all those reboots just to live with a new guide personally speaking. In terms of the native resolution, I have to agree Rogers MUST bring back this function! NO IF'S AND'S or BUTS.....until that day all be waiting with the old IPG

Question though: No one has mentioned if the new software still supports the screen being blank without clock showing when powered off, is that function still there? or not yet?
Old 2012-04-24, 10:12 PM   #888
TL_Gator

I have my non-pvr box (4642) with the new ipg set that way - no clock (blank screen) when the box is off. My pvr box is set with the clock but I assume it would the same options as the 4642
Old 2012-04-24, 10:16 PM   #889
viper359

m3repair: In all fairness to Rogers, they have been working pretty hard on this. Since this piece of crapola was released to now, its a night and day improvement.

Most of the annoying bugs are gone, I have almost zero freezes. I say almost, because I cannot remember one recently, but I could be wrong. Some users seem to still be experiencing the odd issue, but they seem few and far between.

As for the outputting. I just don't see that being changed. I don't think Bell Fibe offers it either.

Then again, from some other people I respect deeply for their knowledge, this could all be a temporary solution until they move over to MPEG4, which they need to do, since they are destroying HD signals with their current MPEG2 compression. It seems to be getting worse every month.
Old 2012-04-24, 10:22 PM   #890
TL_Gator

If rogers were to move over to mpeg4, would we require new boxes or the 8642 can do this? I dropped $700 on a 500gb I don't want to have to change over anytime soon..
Old 2012-04-24, 10:35 PM   #891
alebowgm
Veteran

As the datasheet says, the 8642HD can do MPEG4... so I wouldn't worry...

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...P5b0B5g9zX2VAw

With that said, aside from the 4642/8642, none of the other units in the system can do MPEG4. So they would have to phase it in. I could see them doing it eventually how all the major BDUs in North America have done it. Just make all the 'new' stations they are adding as MPEG4. People who want the new stations will make the change on their own accord, and then over time they can get rid of the old boxes.

Also, we should stay away from discussing MPEG4 here. We probably can make a new thread for that discussion.
Old 2012-04-24, 10:37 PM   #892
viper359

No, you wouldn't require new boxes. These boxes are already complaint for MPEG-4 standard.

This is why some have the theory all of this is a temp solution while they plan, test, implement a new mpeg-4 delivery system, and the firmware to go with it.

One can only hope anyways. At this point, its nothing more than conjecture and theory. Rogers never really talks about their future cable offerings.
Old 2012-04-25, 12:08 AM   #893

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
however power-on channel is still stuck on 7 even though it says 518 or more accurately (HCTVO)
In my area CTVHD is channel 8 and channel 518. If I set a reminder timer for channel 518, it almost always reverts to channel 8 on the next day. No idea why, but I've been tollerating it. Must be the same issue you're seeing with your power on option. I assume you're getting the correct programming, just on channel 8 (er 7) instead of 518?

The reason I dislike this is my reminder is set for 11PM daily when I want to watch the news. I sometimes flick back and forth between 517, 518, 519 using the CH+ or Ch- buttons. I cannot do that when it goes to channel 8 first since Global is on 3...

On occasion it has "remembered" 518 for a month or so, but then it'll "forget" even though I tell it almost daily that I wish to set it to channel 518. (This is a daily reminder that I like to have).

BTW, this is with the "old" firmware on my 8300HD...
Old 2012-04-25, 02:08 AM   #894
lucretius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post
Furthermore, I might also add that - as early adopters of new technology such as HDTV - people really need to keep in mind that there are bound to be issues. These do get worked out over time in large part to people such as in these forums.
Sorry to nitpick, but I've owned an HDTV and had an HD STB since 2002. And I'm fairly sure that HDTV existed some time before that (e.g. In the US, HDTV had its public launch on October 29, 1998, during the live coverage of astronaut John Glenn's return mission to space on board the Space Shuttle Discovery). It's not a "new" technology.
Old 2012-04-25, 09:14 AM   #895
icemankent

For some reason - yesterday, one of my 8642's acted up.
(Connected via HDMI through my AVR, then HDMI to the tv)

It took about 10 seconds for it to actually sync-up with my AVR, and when it finally did - it alternated between snow and purple/white lines that covered the screen.

I could see on my AVR that it was "trying" to sync up - and it would, eventually ...

BUT

Even after it would properly display on the screen, if you pressed any buttons that would cause the video to change - like "guide" or "list", etc, it would go flaky again.

This has happened before - on my other pvr - (and on that setup, the connection is directly to the tv with component cables).

Once again, a REBOOT fixed the issue.
Maybe Rogers should ask Cisco to engineer a dedicated REBOOT button on the remote and on the PVR - it would make this now-frequent task much easier to perform.

I'm waiting for Rogers' next firmware update to see what new surprises await us.

One final thought on this whole new IPG fiasco.
I am sure that most if not all Rogers executives own an 8642, and have the new firmware.
It is pretty safe to assume that if they are actually using them, just like us, they too are experiencing the frustrating operation issues.
That alone places them in the same company as us - and offers potential weight behind an initiative to fix the issues - given the availability of time and money to do so, of course.
Old 2012-04-25, 04:40 PM   #896
yyzlhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemankent View Post
One final thought on this whole new IPG fiasco.
I am sure that most if not all Rogers executives own an 8642, and have the new firmware.
It is pretty safe to assume that if they are actually using them, just like us, they too are experiencing the frustrating operation issues.
That alone places them in the same company as us - and offers potential weight behind an initiative to fix the issues - given the availability of time and money to do so, of course.
The executives know this is a temporary band aid solution as they try to slow the bleed of customers to Bell Fibe. Nadir announced in their Q1 earnings conference call that they'll be migrating to an IPTV based platform within the next two years.

If those comments are true, two years is an extremely short period of time to transition to a brand new technology, therefore I doubt we'll see any significant improvements to nextbox as I'm sure most of the focus is on getting this IPTV solution to market.
Old 2012-04-25, 08:43 PM   #897
marvin23

Default new email today from Rogers

Got this email today from Rogers - looks like they're trying to encourage an update now. Has it gotten any better yet, or same as a month ago:

"MARVIN, there's a free guide upgrade waiting for you! See inside for details"

The NEW Rogers Enhanced Guide is here to provide you with a
better way to watch what you want, when you want. Featuring a
sleek new HD design and a faster Rogers On Demand service,
it's never been easier to enjoy your favourite programming.

YOU'LL BE ABLE TO:
Search for your shows by title, actor, director, genre, channel or keyword
Quickly navigate Rogers On Demand with faster screens
Lock a recorded program on your PVR to prevent someone else from watching or deleting it
Easily extend scheduled recordings between 5 minutes and 3 hours
Get your local 5-day weather forecast at the touch of a button

UPGRADING IS EASY!
Visit rogers.com/guideupgrade and follow the instructions.
After you upgrade, your new Enhanced Guide will be active
within 72 hours and your current settings will remain the same.
ALL YOU NEED IS YOUR CABLE ACCOUNT NUMBER,
which will automatically be displayed in your online request form
by clicking the link below:

P.S. - We encourage you to upgrade so you have the latest
in TV innovations. But the choice is yours.
Visit rogers.com/tvenhancements to learn more about the
new guide and its features.
Old 2012-04-25, 10:25 PM   #898
TL_Gator

Much much better than a month ago, the IPG actually works very well now, still some options missing though. And I personally can't get over the fact that we lost the ability to output native resolution, and according to information posted in this thread it seems like this battle has already been lost.
Old 2012-04-25, 10:56 PM   #899
alebowgm
Veteran

Ya that e-mail was mass sent out. I got it as well. I saw this in the fine text, which is deceiving...

Quote:
Up to 8 TVs can be networked if you have at least one NextBox HD PVR (up to a maximum of 2).
Old 2012-04-26, 09:42 AM   #900
Dolfan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
Tried it with live TV today and had no issues. I haven't seen a repeat of it since Monday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
Quote:
12) Serious lag for the PVR to respond when trying to fast forward at 4x speed. Sometimes you've already fast forwarded through the commercial but you can't get the recording to play because the PVR is still trying to process the fast forward commands. Several people reported this.
Quote:
I had this happen on Monday but haven't seen a repeat since when playing back a recording.

Now that I think about it, on Monday, I believe it happened after I had paused live TV. I'll have to try it again that way and provide an update.
Tried it with live TV today and had no issues. I haven't seen a repeat of it since Monday.
Ok, I've been playing with it quite a bit and I still see it happening intermittently under the following conditions:

1 - Have the PVR recording the same show you are watching (I do this regularly in case I get called away for the baby or some other distraction)
2 - Pause the show you are watching for a while

When I've done that and tried to catchup, intermittently independent of the rewind or fast forward speed I am using, there can be at times a serious lag in regaining control (stopping from the FF or RR or even changing directions).

I have tried changing the batteries on the remote as well with no resolution.

I cannot recreate it at will, but I have had it happen a few times. My only way out of it was to go to the recording I had in progress and play the show back from there.

Dolfan