New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2012-01-24, 11:16 PM   #76
timberland29

Default Filled out survey

Just filled out the survey. Mentioned that I want the old guide back. When asked about my 3 favourite new features. I said I didnt like anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-25, 09:15 AM   #77
MartyOttawa

I only have an SA8300HD, so none of this thread would apply to me, but I feel bad for those who have that new update (judging by what's posted), especially the loss of seeing which channels you actually have access to. When they changed their guide last time to showcase that, I immediately fell in love with that feature. I don't normally like to say something like this, but it's a feature I don't think I could do without now.
Old 2012-01-25, 09:23 AM   #78
kibosh

Although, I thought I read somewhere that with the new guide you can hide channels completely, no?
Old 2012-01-25, 09:55 AM   #79
timberland29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibosh View Post
Although, I thought I read somewhere that with the new guide you can hide channels completely, no?
The new guide does let you hide channels completely. But there is an issue with that feature. If you choose to hide a channel you can no longer view it. Even if you enter the channel number it wont let you view it. Pretty stupid programming if you ask me. I really wonder how an update like this was even approved for public use.
Old 2012-01-25, 10:00 AM   #80
flaminghomer

^^^ Surely that's a bug.

I know, it's probably not a bug. And don't call me Shirley.

All this bad feedback tells me I'm not going to be trading my 8300 in for a 8642 anytime soon.

Last edited by flaminghomer; 2012-01-25 at 10:03 AM. Reason: remove unecessary comments
Old 2012-01-25, 10:01 AM   #81
kibosh

Interesting choices . . . I am guessing this is a third party solution given the loss of function. I still think it looks like the product from espial but I can't be sure.

I wonder if it's still being rolled out . . . nobody has admitted to receiving it yet today.
Old 2012-01-25, 10:37 AM   #82
whitbyterry

I am now hoping that there is a huge negative backlash and they stop the rollout.

This is reminding me of when the new "QuickStart" was added and then Rogers had to cave to pressure and let you configure it to come up only if you pressed the GUIDE button twice instead of it coming up by default.

No one wants something "pretty" that is not usable. I'd go for ugly but functional any day.
Old 2012-01-25, 10:40 AM   #83
icemankent

I am going to call Rogers today to complain.
I think they need to get the message.
This new guide has basically CRIPPLED the PVR.
The LAG between button press and actual "action" on the device is outrageous - to the point of making it so frustrating to try and use, that you just want to throw it out of the nearest window !

I am going to ask Rogers to install the previous firmware/guide on both of my 8642s until they get the new IPG actually "working".
Surely there must be some setting in their system to lock my boxes out from receiving automatic guide updates - I will find out.

In regard to the LAG:
(For comparison purposes) - with the previous guide, when watching anything On Demand, there WAS definite LAG between when you pressed the button and when something actually happened.
I hated it, but overlooked it thinking that it "probably" had to do with the fact that (maybe) the box needed to communicate with a remote Rogers server, before making a change on my box to do whatever my "button press" was asking it to do.
(I have no idea if this is how it actually worked).
My point is that this type of LAG was there before - but ONLY for the OnDemand stuff.

Now, with the new guide, the LAG delay has increased - and it is EVERYWHERE - plus it is at a minimum 10 times worse than what was experienced with the previous iteration of OnDemand with the old IPG.

Last night I was timing various actions.
Just pressing the green LIST button - it took 15 (yes FIFTEEN) seconds for it to bring up the guide showing me my recorded shows !!!!
UNacceptable.
Since the update, I have had to REBOOT both my PVRs about 4 times each - due to freezing, incorrectly displaying recorded shows, and other issues.

To make matters worse, the LAG delay is never the same amount of time.
Therefore, you cannot predict how long after a key press you should expect something to happen.
What this means is that you'll press a button, then wait, and wait, then second guess yourself - "did I really press the button ?" - causing you to hit the button again - only to find that now (eventually), the PVR will "catch up" and deliver TWO key presses - which can screw up what you were trying to do in the first place.

Last night all I wanted was to turn the PVR "off".
I pressed the power button and waited. Nope - it is still on.
So I pressed it again. Nothing. WTF??!!
Now, in anger, I pressed it two more times.
What happened ?
After about 2 more seconds of waiting, the PVR turned Off, then ON, then Off, then On again !

I have HAD it with this !!!
Old 2012-01-25, 10:45 AM   #84
whitbyterry

Yes, call them for sure and read them this list.

I will be doing the same if this rolls out to my box and it works like this.
Old 2012-01-25, 10:50 AM   #85
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question No Update Still Ottawa

Still haven't gotton the update(Ottawa). So I guess thats good in one ense, but is it possible for asomeone to pst pics of what the NEW IPG looks like?
Old 2012-01-25, 11:00 AM   #86
viking5000

Makes you wonder how an organization can be so incompetent...
Long live the lack of competition and Canadian protectionism....
Old 2012-01-25, 11:10 AM   #87
viking5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibosh View Post
Interesting choices . . . I am guessing this is a third party solution given the loss of function. I still think it looks like the product from espial but I can't be sure.

I wonder if it's still being rolled out . . . nobody has admitted to receiving it yet today.
I do not think Espial provides IPG solutions (I may be wrong of course..). I understand they provide server and middleware as well as some browser solutions. Rovi has previously (fall of 2011) announced partnership with RCI.
Old 2012-01-25, 11:33 AM   #88
kibosh

Oh is that right? The screenshots on their website are very similar to the pics I have seen of the Rogers IPG. Perhaps they are just displaying someone elses IPG.
Old 2012-01-25, 12:28 PM   #89
adjjb

I got the pamphlet but not the update and after reading all the posts here, I really hope I don't get the update.

They should really take all the feedback and not update the rest until it's fixed.
Old 2012-01-25, 12:37 PM   #90
rvs007

MCIBUS: You can see a screenshot on this page.

http://rogers-tv-enhancements.com/#upgrades3

Keep in mind, that screenshot is very deceptive. The top 1/3 of the screen that the new IPG doesn't take up on the screen would normally display the top 1/3 of what's shown on the current channel (whatever the guide doesn't cover up). But you rarely see a broadcast where the news anchors' heads are positioned in the top 1/3 of the screen... But in the marketing screenshot, their heads are perfectly centred on the top 1/3 of the screen. Deceptive!