New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2012-04-09, 07:44 PM   #826
mr shady

Mymedia08 the bgi 3 way is not a rogers approved or installed spliter! this i can say 100% we dont use power passive spliters @ all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-09, 07:47 PM   #827
mr shady

we dont use power passive spliters as they really dont do anything good anyways!
Old 2012-04-09, 11:42 PM   #828
MyMedia08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shady View Post
Mymedia08 the bgi 3 way is not a rogers approved or installed spliter! this i can say 100% we dont use power passive spliters @ all
I clearly staed in my post which ones were Rogers installed and which were not. The 4-way was Rogers ; the 3-way was mine (one of a dozen accumulated over the years).

From a quality perspective, its a moot point anyway as to what is Rogers "approved". The "approved" ones are cheap $3 splitters. Anything I would have bought would be equal or better in quality. I only use them to better control signal stregth for diffeent wiring scenarios.

Main point is that spliiters (type or one make vs another) are not a factor in any of the issues to date - as its really all in the firmware.
Old 2012-04-09, 11:54 PM   #829
MyMedia08

Re the tip to Hide Channels ( SETTINGS--->Channel Setup. Select Hide Channels tab, select a channel from the list. An X will appear beside the channel.)

1) can grey-out channels be hidden?
2) do channels stay hidden after a firmware upgrade? - I assume yes
3) do channels stay hidden after a (recommended) factory reset ? I assume no.

Thanks
Old 2012-04-10, 04:04 PM   #830
marvin23

What's the general feeling about the improvement made by all these nightly fixes to the new style IPG? Are they making any progress or digging themselves deeper into a hole?
Old 2012-04-10, 04:24 PM   #831
yyzlhr

There's definitely been progress, albeit very slow. The overall performance of the system has improved dramatically. When it first came out, it was so sluggish that it was absolutely unusable. Performance now is generally quite good, There's still room for improvement in this department but it's come a long way since the original public roll out. I think if they added some transition effects or animations it would give users the impression that menus are loading quicker then they actually are.

They've implemented some of the feedback that users have provided. For example, there is no longer a need to confirm the deletion of a recorded program twice, and after deleting a recording it no longer brings you back to the top of the recorded list.

Also, issues such as the blacked out channels seems to have been resolved. I have not had that issue since the last firmware upgrade. However, new minor issues have been introduced such as the inability to exit the weather widget by pressing the 'D' button even thought it clearly says press 'D' to exit. Very amateur mistake IMO.

Overall, I would say the service performs as it should. There are still a few bugs that need to be ironed out but at least the service is now usable. There are lot of features that should be implemented and I'm not too hopeful that it will be. Rogers chose the Cisco RTN package which is supposed to be a solution that is complete and ready to go for smaller cable operators that don't have the money and time to work with a developer to come up with their own product. From what I've gathered so far it looks like the Cisco RTN software is not that customizable aside from the branding and the types of apps that can be loaded on.
Old 2012-04-10, 04:27 PM   #832
MyMedia08

With viper359's permission, I emailed the full list of open issues to Rogers support.

Got back a reply that "Please be advised that we are aware of many of the issues you have noted and our engineers are currently working on a fix.

They wanted my account number (given) to log/ticket the issues for the remaining items "so that our engineers get the issues that are happening".

So at least there is an acknowledgement, and visibility to the issues, so that's good.

I expect a knock at the door any time now ... "Hi Rogers here - you reported a cable problem? "
Old 2012-04-10, 07:57 PM   #833
icemankent

I am actually surprised that nobody else has noticed the huge bug - it happenes when you try to record a program/episode that you found using the "search" function.
I posted about this very early on - and I am surprised that it STILL has not been fixed yet !

In a nutshell:
-When doing a search - for example - Seinfeld - using the * key search utility to find an episode to record...
- When you actually select it - to record it, what results is that it brings up a popup screen that is "cut off" and too big to fit on the screen !!!
-It is like the popup recording window was moved up-and-left, plus zoomed 3x - where all you can see is the lower right hand corner of the record episode screen.

I have two 8642's and this still happens on both of them.
Like I said, I posted this (and notified Rogers of it) eons ago now, and I am surprised that something so obviously wrong hasn't been fixed yet.

NEW ISSUE:
From time to time, when you pull up your recorded list - sorted by program name, you will lose the ability to "highlight" anything.
In fact, if you page up/down you will notice that there are at least 3 lines "missing" at the bottom of each page list - (just blanks).
When this happens, you don't have the ability to even highlight anything to select it.
The funny thing is that if you switch the list "view" to be by channel number or date, you "can" highlight and select a program.

The only way to fix this is - yes - you guessed it - to reboot.
Old 2012-04-11, 05:26 AM   #834
ladybugblue

Icemankent I noticed that too! Along with that issue, you cannot set a series recording from the search, but given the bug maybe the option is there but I didn't see it.

Last edited by 57; 2012-04-11 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
Old 2012-04-11, 07:20 AM   #835
MyMedia08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMedia08 View Post
With viper359's permission, I emailed the full list of open issues to Rogers support. Got back a reply that "Please be advised that we are aware of many of the issues you have noted and our engineers are currently working on a fix.
After a few iterations with Rogers that this was not specifc to my house (yup, took a few rounds), the ticket finally got to the right person and I received an update re the Viper359 summary....

Re the known Firmware issues: "We are actively working to improve the ways of support and your feedback has proven to be invaluable. I have gone ahead and referred your comments to the appropriate department."

Re the General complaints:

1) No TV call display yet.
There is no ETA for TV Call Display but we do hope to have this feature available in the near future.
2) No remote TV manager functionality yet.
There is no ETA for Remote TV Manager at thie time for the 8642 HD PVR.
3) Default zooming is too much.
The zoom feature is being looked at by our engineers.
4) TV Guide not using the available space for maximum information. Only showing 1.5 hrs, and a few channels at a time. Could show so much more.
We have no information as to if the GUIDE will display more information in the near future.
5) When resuming a recording, the default first choice selection is "Play from start" rather than "Resume" If you are not paying attention, you will restart your program. <---Call it old finger habits from the old firmware.
Noted for consideration in next firmware update
6) When watching a recorded show. The page up and page down button no longer allows you to jump ahead or back in 15 minute intervals like before the update.
Please use the VCR control buttons to FF and rewind.
7) If you choose to hide channels from the guide or from channel surfing. It won't let you tune to those channels manually even if you enter the channel number.
Once you hide the channel in the guide the software then will not allow the channel to be shown, it acts as if the channel does not exist.
8) The favorite button on the remote no longer cycles through your favorite channels. Instead it brings up the guide and shows your favorite channels.
The favorite button will now only list your favorite channels, you then will have to choose from the list..this feature may in the future be changed.
9) Some complaints about the size of the text being too small, while the channel number banner is huge.
Known issue
10) When you hide a channel, you cannot directly tune to it. Some feel this is bad, others disagree.
Same as number 7

11) The guide is not always accurate. Example, says a recording is a repeat, when in fact, its new. If you have your PVR set to record only new episodes, it wouldn't record it.
We receive the GUIDE information from the broadcaster, if there are any changes in the programming and we do not receive the information 24 hours prior we are unable to update our GUIDE.

12) 2am System updates. Not very good for us Time-shifting recorders. These updates always force a reboot, and kick you out of whatever you are watching. If its a recorded playback, it does NOT save your last playback location.
We apologize as the system updates are necessary.
13) No more slow motion capability. AKA Frame by Frame. Sports guys use this often.
Slow motion capability is not available at this time.
14) Galaxy music channels do not display the artist and song title when you press Info.
We are aware of the issue with the Galaxy channels and our engineers are working to resolve the issue.
Old 2012-04-11, 03:36 PM   #836
viper359

icemankent: Cisco has been dropping the ball bad lately on bad firmware in their products. Both consumer grade and even industrial grade. I have several Cisco routers for example, newest models, and they are garbage, buggy, and just plain hell to deal with. It took months for them to patch up some of the problems!

12) 2am System updates. Not very good for us Time-shifting recorders. These updates always force a reboot, and kick you out of whatever you are watching. If its a recorded playback, it does NOT save your last playback location.

We apologize as the system updates are necessary.

This makes me laugh the hardest, do it at 4am, not 2am. At 2am, people who make use of time-shifting are getting screwed.
Old 2012-04-11, 04:51 PM   #837
Bplayer

4 problems out of 13 with some hope for resolution is not a particularly rosy outlook. I guess it is better than being lied to and told that more of them are being worked on.

Problems 2, 6, and 13 are show stoppers for me, and the probability of them being provided does not appear to be likely. This is regressive from what is available with the 8300. Bad move from Rogers/Cisco.
Old 2012-04-11, 04:57 PM   #838
alebowgm
Veteran

Is there a Quickstart guide with the new menu? I haven't seen anyone mention it in the thread. If it isn't there, it probably should be added to the list of things that are missing. I know many of us don't like Quickstart but it is useful when you want to soft-reboot the unit.
Old 2012-04-11, 04:58 PM   #839
viper359

Remote tv manager will be available sooner rather than later. It has to be. No way Rogers can compete against Bell Fibe without it. It is just too big of a missing flaw, and too easily exploited in Bell marketing campaigns.

I don't see how point 6 can be a deal breaker but that's just me. 15 minute intervals is huge. The fast forwarding options work, and do it pretty well. I just do not think it was used enough to justify Rogers trying to program it again. I wish they had a commercial skip feature.

Frame by Frame missing I can understand, especially if you are a big sports fan.

Also remember bplayer, the issues being fixed are nothing more than what has been reported by a tech support, low level email support employee. Only the engineers really know whats coming down the pipe. As someone said before, they have to ensure that they don't break something else while fixing something else.
Old 2012-04-11, 05:00 PM   #840

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

alebowgm The soft reboot function is somewhere under the new interface menu settings if I recall correctly from this thread. You should perhaps browse through all the functionality to see what it's capable of doing.