New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Page 50 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2012-03-28, 08:19 AM   #736
bwgreen

ecarlino016, you suggest returning upgraded pvr boxes. One problem - what if you own your box, and they loaded this supposed upgrade onto it? While I do like the guide and the overall look, there are a LOT of problems with it - boxes randomly rebooting (which, knock on wood, I haven't experienced), channels going black, lack of performance, a lot more (what appear to be) signal issues, ...

Rogers needs to fix these problems quickly or it runs the risk of alienating consumers - right now, I am contemplating removing cable altogether, even if there is no alternate. With the problems that the new PVR firmware is creating, it's not like I'll lose too much, and I'll have a LOT more money in my pocket!
bwgreen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-28, 09:27 AM   #737
Intricate

It's mind boggling to me that company can release a so obviously flawed product. Even minimal QA or a small beta would have identified a lot of these issues. I'm amazed that Rogers can so consistently continue to disappoint.

One question for anyone in the know; who develops the firmware, Rogers or Cisco? Just wondering how much fault Cisco has in this.
Intricate is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-28, 10:55 AM   #738

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Cisco develops the firmware with the needs of the service provider in mind, so each firmware for each provider is slightly different, even if the "look" may be identical. Obviously Rogers employees must also be involved in this to make sure the tailoring works.
Old 2012-03-28, 11:07 AM   #739
viper359

and the guide appears to be created by a 3rd party. If you goto the settings section of the pvr, you can find some info about two companies. I think what most of us are saying is....the lack of communication from Rogers is what is really troubling us. Once I was told the issues are known, and its being worked on by higher tier people, for several of my issues, my frustration level dropped in half.

I have been a Rogers customer for a just over ten years. That's not an eternity, and until the last 8300 issues, (my recordings kept being wiped every month or so) and now these with the 8642, was a 100% happy and supportive customer. So, if I sound like a Rogers hater, I am not. I have, like many, just experienced a lot of issues in the last half year to year and that is starting to wear thin.

Now on to a technical question.... They keep saying they cannot access my boxes. Would this be due to the way it is setup in my house? Rogers enters into splitter, one split to another splitter with a booster (internet feeds directly off this), then to another splitter for just two tv's. Second splitter runs the home phone and other tv's in the house without a booster. All Rogers supplied gear.
Old 2012-03-28, 11:27 AM   #740

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
They keep saying they cannot access my boxes
I assume you mean remotely. This was discussed in my post 734 and the link there. Something may be preventing the return signal and that's why you continue to have issues. (Splitter, amp, cable, etc). They will likely need to come to your home to fix this situation.
Old 2012-03-28, 11:31 AM   #741
icemankent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
The item listed in post 728 almost looks like an SDV issue. Perhaps people with black channels have an issue with the return signal to the node, exacerbated by the new firmware?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...39#post1166439
I posted about this previously.
When I called in this issue to Rogers 2 weeks ago (it was happening on my other pvr), they said just that - the return transmission wasn't working well - that they couldn't "see" it on their end properly.
They had me reboot it and it went away - but has come back on both my pvrs from time to time - and resolves itself sometimes (for who knows what reason...).

In any event they did schedule a tech visit, but on the day of the tech visit, the tech called me and asked if it was still acting up. It wasn't, so I said no, and he said to just call in another trouble if it happens again.
I am hesitant to do this - as I am not sure what else they can really try - a month ago Rogers re-cabled my connections with their high-grade coax and even installed an amplifier to ensure that I got a strong signal to all my boxes.

None of these issues were present with the previous firmware.
Old 2012-03-28, 01:03 PM   #742

It may not be an issue with the connections as you noted if they were properly done. Perhaps the firmware isn't "getting" the details properly from the STB or perhaps the return signal isn't as strong as it used to be with the new firmware.
Old 2012-03-28, 07:07 PM   #743
viper359

57: Is there a proper order for having splitters and signal amps, or is it different with each situation?
Old 2012-03-28, 08:21 PM   #744

Usually it's a splitter for internet and TV (and possibly phone), followed by amp for TV signals only, followed by splitters for TV signals. Sometimes Rogers may do something else, but it's really up to Rogers to ensure the equipment is properly installed, signal is good at each STB, return signal is good, etc.
Old 2012-03-28, 08:30 PM   #745
MyMedia08

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper359 View Post
57: Is there a proper order for having splitters and signal amps, or is it different with each situation?
My two cents.Per post 631, for the longest time I had the amp first, and all was fine until I threw an 8642 in the mix. Per 57's advice I removed the amp, and ended up moving it downstream so that it only feeds those rooms where the signal is quite week (after a hundred feet of crappy cable ). It actually made a difference as all my black channels came back.

But then the black channels surfaced again, becuase, as we all know, this firmware is not stable.

I did a lot of research today, as the status quo is not acceptable, even with a free 8642 and larger discounts.

I am weighing these options:

Option 1) Bring back my fully working SA 8000HD to the den (our main room) so as to save the marriage. Throw the free 8642 in the bedrroom; let it crap out there. Enjoy my discount. Hope they will fix the firmware before I die, If I do this I am locked in for one year. But after that one year, I need to either purchase or rent or return the free 8642. At that point, if the forums still confrim issues, I drop Rogers.

Option 2) If I act in the next 15 days, I can decline the free offer Rogers gave me (as its within 30 days), and can leave Rogers (phone, LD, internet, cable) without any cancellation fees. I would only keep cells.

Almost there, just need to think it through.

Last edited by 57; 2012-03-29 at 11:11 AM. Reason: OT questions & comments deleted
MyMedia08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-28, 08:50 PM   #746
mr shady

Ok when ever you call into rogers they always say 2 things
1-you have a weak signal we MUST send a tech
2-we are unable to contact you box we MUST send a tech

-both of these things they cant tell from there end! they have you reboot the box then say this after a box is rebooted rogers cant access box from there tools for min! 6hrs! this is a fact

-weak signal they always say this i went to a service call where cx was told this and i found 2 single port amps in the house 1 @ the pannel and 1 @ the pvr the signal behid the tv was 38/37/39 the box was macro blocking all the time!

Dont let csr's fool you!
mr shady is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-28, 09:29 PM   #747
MyMedia08

Found some more bugs tonight ( or perhas they are old ones).

-PVR was set to record American Idol, Ch 518, 8pm
-Its strated the recording.
-I came home at 8:20pm, selected it so I can watch from the beginning.
-no joy.

No option to Play from Beginnning.

Only option available on selection were Stop Recording, Modify Recording or Record Series.

This is completely unacceptable And Iave a free unit and 30% dicscount. So what! I cant watch what I record. And the channels I dont record are blacked out!

All I know is that this is blatant Denial of Service and Breach of Contract. And apparantly there is nothing that can be done about it. Nice.

Last edited by 57; 2012-03-29 at 12:34 AM. Reason: OT sentences removed
MyMedia08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-28, 10:16 PM   #748
snoover
Rookie

Default Recordings ending prematurely?

Is anybody experiencing issues with recordings ending prematurely during playback (say, a few minutes before the expected end)?

I leave the stop time as the default, "On Time", since the "5 minutes after" option is overly generous (I just want the dang program to record in its entirety without risking interference with subsequently scheduled recordings).
snoover is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-28, 11:57 PM   #749
icemankent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
It may not be an issue with the connections as you noted if they were properly done. Perhaps the firmware isn't "getting" the details properly from the STB or perhaps the return signal isn't as strong as it used to be with the new firmware.
Regarding my setup.
I did some testing on that specific pvr of mine that was not getting certain channels intermittently - (as per my example, ch 705 MuchLoud).
I removed the rogers-supplied amplifier and connected the pvr directly to the coax coming into the house. No change.
I split the coax coming into the house on a splitter - once on the 3db loss tap and then on the 7db loss tap. No change.

Signal strength is not the issue here.

Stranger still is that the issue still persists today - blank/black channel and a popup saying "This service is currently not available. Try again later."
BUT - I can get the channel to come back to life if I use ch-up and ch-dwn a couple of times - for some reason by tuning to the channel above and below it a few times, it causes channel 705 to actually work.
If I then tune to some other random channel and then try to tune directly back to 705 - it will be black/blank again - unless I do the ch+/- flipping trick again.

Lots to love about this new firmware.
Old 2012-03-29, 08:19 AM   #750
craig_1

Sorry Mr. Shady, but I didn't understand..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shady View Post
OK when ever you call into rogers they always say 2 things
-they have you reboot the box then say this after a box is rebooted rogers cant access box from there tools for min! 6hrs! this is a fact
Rogers can't access the box after a reboot for "a minimum of 6 hours"? Is that what you are saying? Or were you driving some other point? I've never been on the phone for 6 hrs with Rogers - at least not if I don't count the wait time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shady View Post
-weak signal they always say this i went to a service call where cx was told this and i found 2 single port amps in the house 1 @ the panel and 1 @ the pvr the signal behind the tv was 38/37/39 the box was macro blocking all the time!

Don't let csr's fool you!
What is the significance of 'two single port amps'? Improving signal strength I would assume..? Isn't requiring two amps unusual/excessive?

What is 'macro blocking'? Does it relate to the amps?

Sorry if I'm being dense - just need a few more lines between the dots.
I think the summary might be "Rogers Lies" - or I could be just projecting my own experience.
craig_1 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.