New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2012-02-20, 01:59 PM   #256
icemankent

I found another bug.

I had some OLD recordings on my pvr from the HDNET channel (which Rogers no longer has).

When I try to view them, my pvr basically freezes - requiring a reboot to get it working again.
I ended up having to delete those recordings, as there was no way to play them anymore.

Although I don't know for certain, I am thinking that the reason I could not play them is that because with the new firmware, the pvr has to talk to the Rogers servers to get the "program info/details" to display on the screen. Since the channel no longer exists, the system probably got confused since it could not source any information to display - and consequently froze the pvr.

If this is how the new firmware actually works, it could explain why the system is sooo slow and laggy now. Maybe every time you scroll to a different program (recorded or otherwise), the pvr has to get the program info each and every time to display it. This "delay" could be a huge factor in why the new firmware is so slow.

Obviously I cannot confirm how they have set this up to work, but if this is how it functions, then it is bad programming.

I would much rather have the entire program guide (with details, etc) and all program details for everything I have already recorded - STORED on my PVR's hard drive - so that it has a "local" copy of everything - negating the requirement to check a remote rogers server to get the info.

Too bad nobody on here has the info on how they actually programmed this new firmware.

Still waiting for a significant "update" that actually improves the speed of operation or fixes some actual bugs.....
icemankent is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-20, 04:43 PM   #257

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

icemankent: Good conjecture. That's how IPTV works (Fibe/Aliant/etc) If the internet on IPTV is down, there is no way to watch recorded programming since the "authorization" is not there.
Old 2012-02-20, 08:25 PM   #258
viper359

Urg, I sure hope not. If so, and it does work the like the other systems, how long is a recording good for? I understand the channel is gone in regards to the program you are referencing, but, I wonder how long stuff will play for recordings made. 6 months, a year? I have some specials in the past that are over a year old. Like the HBO 25th Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert.
viper359 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-20, 08:34 PM   #259

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
..how long is a recording good for?
You can view a recording on IPTV only if you get authorization from their head end at the time you wish to play it. It's not based on time at all. Let's not go too far down the road with this discussion since it's pure conjecture at this time.
Old 2012-02-20, 10:10 PM   #260
wprager

Authorization and recorded program info are entirely separate things. Try pulling out the cable at the back of the PVR -- the darned thing won't go on at all. When our neighbor cut our temporary above-ground cable we didn't just lose TV, we lost the ability to play back a bunch of shows we had recorded. There is already some level of authorization (albeit not on a program-by-program bases) with Rogers.

I think the reason is is slow is because the firmware is still full of diagnostic code and has not been optimized/tuned for performance.
wprager is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-21, 12:29 AM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager
Authorization and recorded program info are entirely separate things.
They aren't on IPTV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager
Try pulling out the cable at the back of the PVR -- the darned thing won't go on at all.
Actually it works just fine as long as the PVR hasn't been de-authorized by Rogers. This has been the case for several years as discussed on this forum. It'll even boot now without a cable signal (if not de-authorized).

Again, lets stick to the topic of this thread - the IPG.
Old 2012-02-21, 11:31 AM   #262
Holmes108

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper359 View Post
Urg, I sure hope not. If so, and it does work the like the other systems, how long is a recording good for? I understand the channel is gone in regards to the program you are referencing, but, I wonder how long stuff will play for recordings made. 6 months, a year? I have some specials in the past that are over a year old. Like the HBO 25th Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert.
Actually, in the "tips and tricks" section of Rogers page for the new update, it mentioned something interesting:

Quote:
There is no longer an option to save a set number of episodes per series; however there is an option to save for a period of time (3 days, 1 week, and 2 weeks). These settings can only be configured before the recording occurs and can’t be set for existing recordings.
Emphasis mine. Does this mean we cannot set a recording to stay until we delete it? It looks like we may only be able to keep a recording for 2 weeks tops. It also may have simply neglected to mention that option. But I'd feel better if it said : "3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks ETC"

http://rogers-tv-enhancements.com/tips.html
Old 2012-02-21, 11:45 AM   #263
viper359

Using my box last night, I found it painfully slow to use the last channel return button. It was a good 3-5 seconds before it switched back to the last channel I was watching.

Tuning to any channel by just channel surfing is also painfully slow. Accessing a direct channel, by typing it in, not as bad. From the guide, seems the fastest for me. I am not sure if this is because the program info is already pulled while in the IPG or what.

While update this post with my software and firmware versions later.
Old 2012-02-21, 05:55 PM   #264
viper359

Software Version: 3.0.01517.01
UI Version: 3.1.5.24.04.09.11/28392

God I hope Rogers is watching the various forums. I haven't done much channel surfing with the bedroom box until the last two days. Been sick with the cold, so just lying in bed. It is the most horrible experience. It is taking forever to change a channel and tune it in. I use component cables, but I might try with an hdmi cable to see if it makes any difference. I doubt it will however.
Old 2012-02-21, 06:06 PM   #265
alexb805
Rookie

Lightbulb PIP on the new IPG

Did any of you guys tried Picture in Picture on the new IPG? On the old one it used to move to 4 different corners if you move the window. I know many people even dont know about the PIP feature with the 8642 box. So on the remote on the bottom you have buttons for PIP.
alexb805 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-21, 10:48 PM   #266
icemankent

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper359 View Post
Software Version: 3.0.01517.01
UI Version: 3.1.5.24.04.09.11/28392

God I hope Rogers is watching the various forums. I haven't done much channel surfing with the bedroom box until the last two days. Been sick with the cold, so just lying in bed. It is the most horrible experience. It is taking forever to change a channel and tune it in. I use component cables, but I might try with an hdmi cable to see if it makes any difference. I doubt it will however.
I have two pvrs. One using HDMI and the other using component.
There is no difference in speed. Both suck.
icemankent is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-22, 11:59 PM   #267
alexb805
Rookie

Arrow Did anybody noticed my question about the PIP ???

Did anybody noticed my question about the PIP ???

Did any of you guys tried Picture in Picture on the new IPG? On the old one it used to move to 4 different corners if you move the window. I know many people even dont know about the PIP feature with the 8642 box. So on the remote on the bottom you have buttons for PIP.
alexb805 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-23, 10:16 PM   #268
timberland29

Default software update

Just got this update last night:

Software Version: 3.0.01519

Haven't see any new visible features I'm guessing its just bug fixes.
timberland29 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-23, 10:19 PM   #269
timberland29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb805 View Post
Did anybody noticed my question about the PIP ???

The new IPG in my opinion has a much better interface for PIP. Its one the main features I actually like and that works well from the new IPG.

With the new IPG you now have 2 options for PIP. When you press the on button for PIP it immediately does a split screen for you of the 2 channels you select. After that you can select move PIP and it will go back to old way where its a much smaller window and move the window around the 4 corners of the screen
timberland29 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-23, 10:22 PM   #270
alebowgm
Veteran

Any screen shots?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.