New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2012-02-13, 08:47 PM   #226
icemankent

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper359 View Post
icemankent: That's weird, I have the same software and version as you, but on a Non PVR, and it flies now in comparison to before. Its actually I would say almost normal. I notice some slowness, but in the boxes defence, some of it could be me, as its a learning curve anytime new software is deployed.
Even the guide seems to pop up very quickly.

Is there anyone else with the Non PVR and the PVR who has the latest firmware that can add to the comments? I am wondering if there is something different between the two in hardware that is the problem, or maybe the coding for the pvr functions is off?

If my PVR acts as good as my bedroom box, I would be content for the most part.
Hey Viper - I'm happy for you - but I'm not so lucky.

I have two 8642 pvrs and it is the same bad news for both of them.
It would seem that the issues that these boxes are experiencing are due to faulty software design where it bogs the entire device down in the presence of a hard drive related to pvr functionality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-13, 11:30 PM   #227
yyzlhr

I also, have the new UI on my 4642 but the old one on my 8642. The new UI runs at an acceptable speed on the 4642 when using the modern HD theme. With the classic theme its practically unusable. I find that once you launch the guide or menu once, it will launch very quickly if you launch it again within a couple of minutes. If more than say 10 minutes elapse and you try to fire up the guide or the menu again it can take as long as 10 seconds for the stb to respond. Also, they haven't done anything to address scrolling, the scrolling is absolutely torturous on the new guide on the 4642, when scrolling onto a new page, it takes a couple of seconds to respond. Very annoying. Hopefully they'll have this all fixed within a few weeks when they launch their new marketing campaign to compete with Bell Fibe.
Old 2012-02-14, 12:51 AM   #228
timberland29

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanweinman View Post
Anyone else experiencing reboots almost every time they try to schedule a new series recording. If the PVR is currently recording something and you try to schedule it to record a new series. It creates the recording and just after displaying the OK it reboots. Has done it about a dozen times on me over the past 5-6 weeks.

VERY frustrating. I really want my old PVR back with the limited but stable and functioning firmware.
I had the same issue. Thats why I got them to give me a free rental of the 8300. The 8300 is now my main pvr until they fix this main issue. I was hoping this issue was fixed with the newer update but it looks like its still there. Im guessing you have the following software version?
Software version is 3.0.0.1516
Old 2012-02-14, 08:01 AM   #229
craig_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper359 View Post
You don't own the content on your digital box that you have saved. You don't have any rights to record shows,

<snip>

Again, you own the box, irrelevant.

<snip> I own my Xbox 360, but I MUST accept xbox live firmware updates, or I cannot access their service.
We are unlikely to ever agree. If I OWN a hard disk, then I own the data on it. Period. If someone damages my data, it is in general a crime. Period. If it is done via negligence, then the perpetrator may be laible.

You come into my house, your break my stuff, you're on the hook. Period.

Regarding X-Box.. the software in general is of much higher quality AND there is competition in gaming consoles.
Old 2012-02-14, 09:47 AM   #230

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
If I OWN a hard disk, then I own the data on it.
Although off-topic for this thread, this is incorrect. The programming on the PVR is for time-shifting. It is not yours to store forever or use forever. The distributors can even tag programming to disappear after a certain time. They are not doing it at this time for most programming, but they could. If you wish to discuss this topic further, please start another thread.
Old 2012-02-14, 11:57 AM   #231
timberland29

Default Update last night

My new software version is 3.0.0.1517.

Haven't noticed any changes so far. Hopefully it's faster, less buggy and doesn't reboot all the time.
Old 2012-02-14, 12:26 PM   #232
alebowgm
Veteran

I got new software last night on the old IPG... or at least assume I did because the system had rebooted when I turned it on this morning...
Old 2012-02-14, 02:46 PM   #233
yyzlhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberland29 View Post

Haven't noticed any changes so far. Hopefully it's faster, less buggy and doesn't reboot all the time.
Yep, got the same software update on my 4642. Seems to be more responsive. Menus pop up much faster and the speed is consistent, unlike before, where it would become laggy again if you didn't access any of the menus for 10 minutes or more. Guide scrolling still needs work though. 8642 still remains on the old UI.
Old 2012-02-14, 03:43 PM   #234
m3repair

For anyone who has gotten the updated software ( I presume last night) can anyone list there current issues with the software, so other members can see them as well as others know what issues there are at this point in time?
Old 2012-02-14, 04:01 PM   #235
sammey

Location: Ottawa, Canada, CISCO 9865 x 3, Cisco 4642 x 1, SA 3200 x 1, Veteran, Canadian Forces & RCMP
Default IPG Update Schedule

How does Rogers decide when to update your devices? I have 8642 HD PVR and a 4642 HD Box, either one is updated yet.
Maybe I should be careful what I as for I might just get it and not like it.
Old 2012-02-14, 04:08 PM   #236
timberland29

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3repair View Post
For anyone who has gotten the updated software ( I presume last night) can anyone list there current issues with the software, so other members can see them as well as others know what issues there are at this point in time?
For me the bug with hidding channels is still there. When choosing to hide a channel it's only suppose to hide it from the guide and channel surfing. Your still suppose to be able to view the channel by entering the channel number on the remote.

I wonder if the other bug is fixed now where it constantly records a show or channel even when it's done recording. Some one else mentioned this in their post recently.
Old 2012-02-14, 04:39 PM   #237
yyzlhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammey View Post
How does Rogers decide when to update your devices? I have 8642 HD PVR and a 4642 HD Box, either one is updated yet.
Maybe I should be careful what I as for I might just get it and not like it.
The roll out has been officially delayed. If you really do want it, you can call customer service and they can push the new software to you.
Old 2012-02-14, 05:25 PM   #238
kibosh

I just called and was told that it has been delayed but that I will receive it by the end of February. He also told me he didn't know why it has been delayed (we do ) and apologized for it.
Old 2012-02-14, 08:05 PM   #239
icemankent

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberland29 View Post

It is unfortunate we have no feedback mechanism to know what fixes/enhancements were applied with each successive version.
*** If Rogers is listening to these threads - maybe you could set up a web page that tracks the issues and the fixes that relate to each software version you release ****
Old 2012-02-15, 11:41 AM   #240
m3repair

The reason I ask when people get an update is again so that if Rogers and I am sure other posters are following that they can see that these are the types of issues currently present but more importantly so the same issue isn't posted 10 times in the same thread. It seems to be only a few handful got the update and it got haulted due to all these issues, can it be confirmed that this has been put on hold offcially ? (Besides the one poster who claims Rogers over the phone told him it was put on hold)