New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Page 14 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2012-02-08, 09:25 AM   #196
Holmes108

Quote:
I have the same software version which was updated last night. Haven't got a chance to see if its any better yet. I did try the hide channel feature which previously had an bug. Where it would remove the channel completely and cant view it at all. Still seems to have the same bug. I dunno maybe Im using it wrong. Although when Ive called in to tech support they stated you are still able to view the channel after its hidden.
Timberland29,

Can you clarify what you mean by this bug? Do you mean that if you manually type in the channel number, you still can't tune to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-08, 10:41 AM   #197
viper359

craig_1: Lawsuit? Are you kidding me? I hope you're joking. Its that sort of litigious crap that slows companies from doing anything that might be beneficial to society or customers. Did Rogers screw up big, yeah, sorta. Did it ruin your life, cause harm, or pain and suffering, no. Missing a TV show, or having a cable box you cannot use, while annoying, even angering, not a real reason to sue.

Holmes108: With the software version I have, directly entering a channel, lets say 520 since I input that most often to get into the HD grouping of channels works fast. Still a 1-2 second delay from input to picture on screen. It changes immediately, but, it seems like it is taking a second or two to "tune" into the channel.

timberland29: Channels I don't subscribe to are not hidden in my guide, but rather an off shade. I have toyed around with hiding them. I also have not toyed around with channel skipping yet. Will try later. ( If my software still the same)
Old 2012-02-08, 10:54 AM   #198
Holmes108

I just don't understand what he means about a bug with hiding channels. He said once you hide a channel "it would remove the channel completely and cant view it at all", which sounds like what I'd want the hide channel feature to do.
Old 2012-02-08, 11:02 AM   #199
speedy1701

Default Unsubscribed Channels

I haven't received the IPG update yet ... supposedly Feb. 14 in Mississauga, On.

But to confirm:
Are channels that aren't subscribe to still showing up in the new IPG, but in a different colour (as with the old IPG)?

Sometimes channels offer free previews.
Having the color difference provides a quick way of seeing if this is indeed the case (as opposed to navigating to each channel in the guide and reading the INFO).
Old 2012-02-08, 11:14 AM   #200
rvs007

@Holmes108: When you hide a channel from the IPG, you should still be able to tune to that channel by keying in the channel number directly. The bug (as reported by someone here) is/was that if you hide a channel, you cannot even tune in by keying in the channel number.

@speedy1701: Yes, unsubscribed channels are greyed out in the IPG, but is still displayed in the guide unless you go into settings and hide them.
Old 2012-02-08, 11:18 AM   #201
viper359

Default UI Version now 3.1.5.24.04.09.11/28392

Got an new update last night it appears.

Holmes108: What you want, you will get. When you hide the channel, it will not tune to it. I did not try a direct tune, i just quickly tested for you. I hide channel two and three, then tuned to channel five, pressed the channel down button, channel changed to 4, then to 999. So, it works. Hide channel, hides it. I did not test if it hides it in the guide however.

speedy1701: That is correct. The channels you do not subscribe to are still showing in the guide, but at an off shade. If you know of a preview free channel, I can always look and see for you, if it changes shade. It is VERY easy to tell if you subscribe to the channel or not. Unless you are color blind and cannot distinguish between the shades like my father.
Old 2012-02-08, 12:13 PM   #202
Holmes108

Quote:
When you hide a channel from the IPG, you should still be able to tune to that channel by keying in the channel number directly. The bug (as reported by someone here) is/was that if you hide a channel, you cannot even tune in by keying in the channel number.
Ah, yes. This was what I had originally asked. Hiding from the guide is good, but I agree you should be able to tune to it directly if you wanted to. Not a bug that would be likely to bother me, but still, it should work that way, imo.

Edit: That being said, I'd prefer that the channel up/down skips the hidden channels (which is apparently does), so if that means being unable to directly tune to it as well, I'd take that. It's definitely not necessarily a bug, and could be the intended function. I can see why some would want it the other way though.

For me, if I hide it, I'm mostly likely happy with it being hidden in all regards.
Old 2012-02-08, 12:38 PM   #203
viper359

Holmes: Let me check for you right now.

Checked. Once you hide a channel, directly tuning it does not work with the latest software. I personally don't find that it is a bug, hence why I am hiding the channel. I can understand why some might want to direct tune to it though.

Last edited by viper359; 2012-02-08 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Updating information
Old 2012-02-08, 01:15 PM   #204
Holmes108

Yeah, I don't think it's a bug either.
Old 2012-02-08, 03:26 PM   #205
viper359

I hope so. I actually like that idea. Goodbye french channels!
Old 2012-02-08, 10:12 PM   #206
icemankent

I just got back from a vacation and noticed that the firmware was updated (a bit).
The only thing different (that I noticed) is that the channels you are not subscribed to, appear in "grey" text, (instead of white).

I also noticed another bug that I did not notice before (although it could have always been there). When playing a recorded program - hitting the STOP button kicks me out of that program entirely and punts me back to the beginning of my recorded shows list (the very first one at the root directory).
It does this instead of just "stopping" the playback function and (staying) in the folder I was in (with that particular program highlighted).

Everything else is still laggy and slow just as before.

Rogers has a LONG way to go to improve this thing.

Just as an aside - I was away - visiting Edmonton and saw the Shaw HD guide. It looks like an updated version of the IPG we had previously. I would say it lies somewhere between our old guide and this new one. In any event, it was not laggy or slow.

When/(if) Rogers gets this new guide to work properly, it will rock, but until then - it is just sinking like one.

I sure hope they act upon the fixes and the suggestiions for improvement that we are giving them in our survey responses.
Old 2012-02-08, 10:18 PM   #207
timberland29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes108 View Post
Timberland29,

Can you clarify what you mean by this bug? Do you mean that if you manually type in the channel number, you still can't tune to it?
Yes, if you choose to hide the channel in the settings. It should only hide it from the guide and from channel surfing. With this "bug" it also hides it from you just pressing the channel number and tuning to that channel number. After speaking to a tech support rep he told me this is a bug and that you should still be able to tune into that channel by entering the channel number. Bell's system is the same way when you hide a channel it only hides from the guide and channel surfing not from pressing that channel number. The new rogers guide is mostly modeled by copying bells guide.
Old 2012-02-08, 10:20 PM   #208
viper359

Icemankent: Would you mind posting the UI Version and software version for your pvr? I have to say, in less than a week, Rogers has taken the IPG, and channel changing issues from unusable to almost fully workable. Odd lag, but major leaps and bounds. Watching tv is almost normal.

I have a feeling it won't but long for the PVR series to catch up. I am assuming it is taking longer as there is more code to it since it does a whole heck of a lot more than my HD box in the bedroom.

I think they must be also working with another company, as some of it is open source I believe. You can see it under one of the menus.

As such, i am watching everything on my pvr as quick as I can before I get the update when they resume updating boxes.
Old 2012-02-08, 10:32 PM   #209
viper359

found the two links. The guides are not designed by Rogers or Bell. They are tweeked. Below are the links to the sites from my HD box information section

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11279/index.html

http://www.antlimited.com/ant_galio_browser.asp
Old 2012-02-08, 11:43 PM   #210
yyzlhr

No TV provider designs the guides themselves. That's why its baffling how this turned out to be such a mess.

Last edited by 57; 2012-02-20 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed.